Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Why is it ridiculous for the NFL to want the largest single sporting event in America to be played at new shiny up to date stadium? Use the best venues for the biggest events.

Charlotte would be in the running for a Super Bowl right after we build a new stadium. B of A stadium is to old and dated, walk into AT&T stadium and you will see why.
No they wouldn't be in the running after a new stadium. You guys are the same group that thinks Charlotte could support the MLB. Charlotte is a great city. It has a lot to offer, but it's still very smallish, and has a lot more growth before certain things happen. Hell in a few years, if they don't get a new stadium, we might not even have the panthers here anymore. Charlotte is great, but Charlotte has a long long way to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
No they wouldn't be in the running after a new stadium. You guys are the same group that thinks Charlotte could support the MLB. Charlotte is a great city. It has a lot to offer, but it's still very smallish, and has a lot more growth before certain things happen. Hell in a few years, if they don't get a new stadium, we might not even have the panthers here anymore. Charlotte is great, but Charlotte has a long long way to go
Both North Carolina and South Carolina can support a Major League Baseball team. Charlotte is capable of having a team if Major League Baseball is ready to expand.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I'm not entirely convinced Charlotte could support MLB. I'd like to see it here, but I think the only draw would be for fans to see their team. A Charlotte team would probably be the only home team treated like a visiting team for several years. It would be neat, but hardly worth the money taxpayers would have to cough up.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'm not entirely convinced Charlotte could support MLB. I'd like to see it here, but I think the only draw would be for fans to see their team. A Charlotte team would probably be the only home team treated like a visiting team for several years. It would be neat, but hardly worth the money taxpayers would have to cough up.
This is kind of how the Arizona Cardinals and Diamondbacks were treated. People would go see their favorite team vs them because it was cheap and local.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Both North Carolina and South Carolina can support a Major League Baseball team. Charlotte is capable of having a team if Major League Baseball is ready to expand.
No they can't, we had this discussion a few years back when they were building the new baseball stadium. The metro area is just too small. It would be one of the smallest in MLB. Major league baseball in charlotte would be a disaster.

I don't sit here, and type this cause I'm a debbie downer. I'm a huge sports fan, and everytime I drive past the knights stadium I wish it was a MLB stadium. I'm smart enough though to read the facts, and realize were aren't ready yet.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
No they can't, we had this discussion a few years back when they were building the new baseball stadium. The metro area is just too small. It would be one of the smallest in MLB. Major league baseball in charlotte would be a disaster.

I don't sit here, and type this cause I'm a debbie downer. I'm a huge sports fan, and everytime I drive past the knights stadium I wish it was a MLB stadium. I'm smart enough though to read the facts, and realize were aren't ready yet.
If Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati can all support their MLB teams with smaller metro populations than Charlotte, the size of Charlotte's metro population isn't exactly a valid justification as to why Charlotte couldn't support a team.

The Carolinas have a population of 14.7 million people, the fifth largest if they were combined, it's very possible.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
If Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati can all support their MLB teams with smaller metro populations than Charlotte, the size of Charlotte's metro population isn't exactly a valid justification as to why Charlotte couldn't support a team.

The Carolinas have a population of 14.7 million people, the fifth largest if they were combined, it's very possible.
Its not just about metro population. Its about population within a specific radius of a stadium site, and its also about disposable income. How does Charlotte compare to to those other cities for those 2 variables relative to a 25, 50 and 75 mile radius from Uptown? (Or really, within a 30, 60 and 90 minute driving radius) Those are the numbers that count.

No one is driving from Charleston or Raleigh for a Tuesday night game in May. Any team owner would have to be convinced that a reasonable number of fans, with money to spend, exist with an hour or so of the stadium.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Its not just about metro population. Its about population within a specific radius of a stadium site, and its also about disposable income. How does Charlotte compare to to those other cities for those 2 variables relative to a 25, 50 and 75 mile radius from Uptown? (Or really, within a 30, 60 and 90 minute driving radius) Those are the numbers that count.

No one is driving from Charleston or Raleigh for a Tuesday night game in May. Any team owner would have to be convinced that a reasonable number of fans, with money to spend, exist with an hour or so of the stadium.
I think it's safe to say people from Charleston or Raleigh are much more likely to drive to Charlotte for a baseball game than to the nearest other teams' stadiums, which would be Atlanta or Washington.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
I think it's safe to say people from Charleston or Raleigh are much more likely to drive to Charlotte for a baseball game than to the nearest other teams' stadiums, which would be Atlanta or Washington.
Thats not the point, and is completely irrelevant.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 08-24-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Stop. You can't just pull numbers out of the air. Like carolinadawg said nobody is driving to see a charlotte team on a tuesday night from 3 hours away its not happening.

Here's some numbers for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:B...ugs/population

Here's how charlotte would compare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo...ropolitan_area

They would be near the bottom. The other thing to consider with those smaller markets with established teams, is they've had a following for years. Charlotte wouldn't have that luxury. We have trouble filling BOFA stadium 8 weeks a year. How are we going to do it, for 81 dates. It's not going to happen. A major league baseball team would struggle badly here. We are about 10 to 15 years away.

Lastly you want to talk about people driving from 2-3 hrs away. All those small market northern teams have fairly large cities 2-3 hrs away, and again those people have been following the team for years. Wouldn't be the case in charlotte. As all the big cities here are filled with transplants like charlotte. Again I would love to have it, but I can look at the stats, and see it isn't likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte