Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,961 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved from Charlotte to Northern Virginia about 3 months ago. In that time I have found myself missing Charlotte more and more. I wish I could go back. I wish I never had to leave.

The only reason I left was because of the awful job market. Sure, I had a job, but it was the kind of job that made me want to drive my car off of a bridge everyday. After two years of looking for something, anything, else I finally decided that I just couldn't take it anymore. So I went to a job fair in Northern VA and had a much more enjoyable, higher paying job less than two weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, I can't complain about the area that I'm in now, but it really can't compare to how much I liked CLT. It just angers me that I had to leave. Anyway, I am looking for a way to go back by finding a job that won't drive me totally insane but of course I haven't heard a single response.

Just had to get this out there because I wonder if anyone else has had or is going through similar experiences. I lived in Charlotte for just over two years and can honestly say that it really does grow on you. Anyone else know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
The grass is not always greener!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 PM

379 posts, read 645,314 times
Default What???????

What? You miss the gang infested, crime ridden queen city? We certainly don't hear that very much on CD!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM

I enjoyed the city. Contrary to what many people here may say there alot of things to, the weather is great, the people are friendly, and there is alot going on. The only thing that I just couldn't take was the prospect of being stuck in a mind numbing dead end job for the rest of my life.

Leaving wasn't a decision that I made lightly. I have a townhouse there that I love and good friends. But I finally made the painful decision to leave because I truely believe that the stress and frustration I got from my job would have given me a heart attack before 40.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,375 times
It is just hard to move. I wanted to leave Ohio and couldn't wait to get to charlotte. I love everything that I have seen about Charlotte (except the traffic) but I would go back home in a minute. Everything is so unfamiliar here. The weather is great, the area is gorgeous...so much better than NW Ohio. But I miss my old life with my friends, my great job and my sons. I would give up this nice area, and never complain about Ohio winters if I could go back. But l can't. Life goes on. I am sure I will be glad we came here as time goes on, and you probably will too. It just takes time. Try not to look backwards, but look for all the new exciting possibilities ahead. Look for something good each day. That is what I am trying to do.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
I have moved away twice myself and each time I return for some reason. I am not a Charlotte native either but I LOVE Charlotte.

Have patience. I use to live in Washington (Northwest) and loved it except the cost of living. DC will grow on you.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
I wish you well up there, having lived in Richmond I feel for yah! I couldn't wait to get back to CLT, and if you didn't like the traffic here in Charlotte, you're going to love it in NOVA..........NOT!!! Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
"I can't complain about the area that I'm in now, but it really can't compare to how much I liked CLT." - FP1978

Give NoVa and DC a chance. Get to know the District. My daughter, who grew up in Charlotte, has lived there for 16 years and LOVES it. She's learned to live there and overcome some of the less attractive aspects. I agree with 7 oh 4 that it's expensive, but I think you can learn where to spend your money in order to live an exciting life. Take advantage of all the free activities - the outdoor markets, the concerts on the mall, the museums, etc. You should never be bored. Good luck. I hope you either learn to love DC (as I do) or find your dream job back here.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM

307 posts, read 715,629 times
Can I ask what kind of work you are in that made you leave Charlotte? I currently live in NOVA and I have lived here my whole life. My boyfriend and I want to relocate to Charlotte and we are currently looking for jobs there, I guess I wonder if it's going to be really hard to find something. I am in IT work and I know there are tons of jobs here but I really want to move to escape the traffic and busy atmosphere and expensive housing. My one bedroom condo cost $267k and I could have a house there for the same price? It's just crazy. I have been to LKN area a few times to visit and trust me the traffic is nothing like NOVA!

That said I do love this area and there is a lot of fun and interesting things to do. I would think as a newcomer I would love it, I am just ready to go because I have always wanted to try something new and my bf has family there.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:14 PM

I work in finance and have a BBA with a finance and accounting major. The trouble is that the job market in the finance industry is oversaturated in Charlotte. I couldn't find anything other than working in a call center where I spent 8 hours a day being yelled at by customers who blamed me, or whoever was unfortunate enough to be on the line, for everything that happened to them that week. The average was about 50 calls per day, three quarters of which were from irate screamers. To show you how oversaturated it is, one guy I knew had an MBA and was working in the same call center for 10 years and the furthest he was able to get was when he was promoted, a few months after I got there, to a team leader in the call center making just 8k more per year than new hires. Other people I knew had been doing it for 5-8 years and were turned down for moving to another position multiple times. I just couldn't deal with it anymore since all signs seemed to point to it being a dead end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte