Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM

26 posts, read 88,096 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about this neighborhood in Marvin/Waxhaw? It looks nice, quiet and small tucked in off Prov. Rd. Looking in the area is making me nuts....too many neighborhoods and choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
what do u want to know about it? we looked there a while back, decide against it horrible lots, HOA very high for just a pool, and every house looks the same..HOWEVER that was our opinion...are you open to waxhaw or do u want to just stay in Marvin..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
They are beautiful homes but lot sizes tend to be small. Their prices were high at the start, but have come down some. Everyone I have brought in there ends up choosing something else.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 24,415 times
Default It depends

If you are looking for a well built house on a small lot, then it's probably not a bad choice. My wife and I are relocating from NJ and looked all over the Union county area. We loved Shea homes and liked their Lawson development, but they were not into the 2nd phase yet and only had a few lots left. We looked at Barrington and Hollister... Barrington was in our price range, but wanted more than a 10k sq foot lot. As the previous person said, they all look the same (full brick) but the trade off is that you will probably be looking out the window into your neighbor's bedroom. We wound up choosing Brentwood homes in Waxhaw (The Preserve at Forest Creek). They seem to be well built (healthy built) homes on 1 acre wooded lots. They all have well and septic (which is a plus if you ask me). I'm not trying to sell you on this development... but we found it to be the best value for the money. The lot size was great and they have a few Frank Betz models which many of the custom home builders are using. Hope this helps.

-Steve

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 11,653 times
Default moving in

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to Waxhaw from Maryland and we purchased in the Barrington neighborhood. Our home is still to be built. We really liked the homes and the special incentives that they were offering. The lots are small especially compared to MD but the prices are great. We chose this neighborhood primarly b/c of the school systems. I looked at Brentwood but I did not want there schools so I had to eliminate them. We looked at some other neighorhoods but they too seemed to have small lots and higher home prices. Just my opinion.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM

I am even more confused I prefer Marvin, Sandy Ridge, or Rea View schools, I dont want a huge yard to take care of but I didnt like that they all look the same either. That and the HOA being $850 seemed high. I am looking at some older homes now that maybe could be updated. I just dont know ughhhhhh

Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
if you are open to resales, there are alot of nice homes In Hunter Oaks, the schools are Rea View excellent school, my dd went there and My son Attends Marvin Ridge Middle and we love the school...there are quite a few in here that dont need updating especially if you would like to stay in the Marvin Schools...Cuthburtson schools are now going to be incredible as I know Ms Healy from Marvin Ridge she is excellent, but very tough she will be the new principle at the New School "C" in Waxhaw, and The principal of the New HS was the principal of Marvin Elem so let me say from what ive been told he is beyond fabulous....

Good Luck in your search...Our HOA fee's are 495 a year and we have 2 pools 1 with a waterslide and the other one is a lap pool..little playground and tennis courts with a clubhouses....

Old 08-14-2008, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,366 times
Any info on Prov Downs and Prov Downs South?
see lots of foreclosures to the South.
Sandy Ridge elem>?
any Jewish People in those areas?
any more info thanks sooooo much.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM

We are still looking at Barrington but also like Anklin Forest quite a bit. I am still torn because we can get a much larger home on a smaller lot for less at Barrington. I just cant make up my mind.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 AM

175 posts, read 412,936 times
If you are set on this area, I would suggest Lawson. Whatever you do....stay away from a Hunter Oaks resale. The neighborhood is way too political and even more important, the quality of the houses is not on par with almost every neighborhood in the area.

Be careful of the sewer plant at Cureton...it can affect many different neighborhoods in the Providence Road-Waxhaw Marvin area.

I'd really suggest a quick trip across the state line into some of the neighborhoods off 521. Prices are lower, taxes are lower, and people are no where near as snobby. And don't be fooled by the "great" schools in the Marvin area. Just a bunch of mobile classrooms...not all that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte