Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 6,319 times

Advertisements

Come on people, I hear all this good stuff about Charlotte and no one wants to confront the main problem with this metro. Jobs are no more!! The cost of living in Charlotte is expensive compared to other metro's its size. Only housing is under average market. but... The pay here sucks!! so when you look at the numbers (salary/cost of living index) Charlotte would be in the bottom 10% of citites. I'm sure their are people that make a great living in Charlotte but if you come as a skilled worker or a non-banking slep you'll be working like a slave to be in that nice clay yard, cheap material home watching "Reno 911" rerunds thinking how to escape. Burglary is way out of control in this metro. I think it's because no one is home because there working all the time. You will see in a few years. Charlotte is the San Antonio of the east. All hype and no substance. Here are the good things. The weather in Charlotte is great. The people are pleasant, and non-sarcastic(love that). This is my observation of Charlotte. Move to Orlando or Jacksonville maybe even Phoenix. Better option's in my humble opinion.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 AM

87 posts, read 286,365 times
Yes...Move to Orlando or Jacksonville where the pay in the state of Florida is so great! And that real estate market is definitely looking up............Riiiiiiiiiiight..

Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,571,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehawcharlotte View Post
Come on people, I hear all this good stuff about Charlotte and no one wants to confront the main problem with this metro. Jobs are no more!! The cost of living in Charlotte is expensive compared to other metro's its size. Only housing is under average market. but... The pay here sucks!! so when you look at the numbers (salary/cost of living index) Charlotte would be in the bottom 10% of citites. I'm sure their are people that make a great living in Charlotte but if you come as a skilled worker or a non-banking slep you'll be working like a slave to be in that nice clay yard, cheap material home watching "Reno 911" rerunds thinking how to escape. Burglary is way out of control in this metro. I think it's because no one is home because there working all the time. You will see in a few years. Charlotte is the San Antonio of the east. All hype and no substance. Here are the good things. The weather in Charlotte is great. The people are pleasant, and non-sarcastic(love that). This is my observation of Charlotte. Move to Orlando or Jacksonville maybe even Phoenix. Better option's in my humble opinion.
Have lived in several large East Coast cities and personally LOVE Charlotte!

Everytime I move away I return to Charlotte and find a job everytime!

Hope things change for you and maybe you will enjoy Charlotte...a truely GREAT city and even greater in the future!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,464,422 times
Phoneix=HELL NO.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,515,549 times
Hmmmm.....DH's line of work and mine are in fairly high demand. We have never worried about jobs. We moved here 3 years ago and got jobs right away. DH's salary isn't too bad. Mine was way lower than many areas of the country.

What type of work are you in?

Dawn

Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:

Since you are apparently new to the forum I'll cut you some slack - but if you read back a ways to all the thousands of posts here you will see that we regularly post about how hard it is to get a job here!

This is a tight job market because SO VERY MANY people have flocked here for the good life that we enjoy, that the market is now flooded. The good thing about that is that our unemployment rate is relatively low and our local economy good (people who are working are also spending!). Additionally, employers can be more picky about the folks they hire meaning companies are getting more qualified workers. So - there ARE jobs here - there are just many qualified people competing for those jobs.

You may think salaries "suck" for the blue collar worker, but relative to our cost of living and quality of life I would personally disagree. Additionally, if you only knew how bad the housing market in Florida and Phoenix are you would never go there right now as an alternative to Charlotte.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,319 times
I'm a truck driver. Oh,, I do want to say that I'm not against Charlotte, I just want to stop all the hype. Can you buy a cheaper house in Charlotte? Why Yes! It woul be great to commute from New york or DC and live in Charlotte but thats not going to happen. Until employers start to pay more things will go down. If someone could tell me other then housing what is cheaper in Charlotte.. would love to know

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,470,375 times
The hype isn't coming from Charlotteans and there have been many threads on this board about the tight job market. Here is a recent one:

Hard to find jobs?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,766,887 times
First of all, this thread is what you call “bait”. So congratulations to myself and all others who grabbed it.

As for the topic, it’s 2008. If people don’t realize by now that it’s becoming more and more difficult for someone with just a secondary education to find gainful employment, heaven help them. And that’s not just the case in Charlotte, that’s the case everywhere. Here’s a very recent article below from the Birmingham, AL paper…

al.com: Everything Alabama

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
I'm a truck driver. Oh,, I do want to say that I'm not against Charlotte, I just want to stop all the hype. Can you buy a cheaper house in Charlotte? Why Yes! It woul be great to commute from New york or DC and live in Charlotte but thats not going to happen. Until employers start to pay more things will go down. If someone could tell me other then housing what is cheaper in Charlotte.. would love to know
WHAT HYPE? I have seen NO hype about jobs in Charlotte, where have you?

Besides housing being cheaper, home insurance rates/car insurance rates are too. Additionally, we have some of the best tuition rates at our public universities and colleges in the country. Sending your child to college here with instate tuition is quite a good deal. Look at places like Maryland and Virginia to see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte