Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte Mecklenburg School systems is huge and unwieldy. There is "tension" between the growing suburban areas and the areas that are not growing. (Do we use money to build a new school, or make repairs to an existing one?)

Many schools are excellent, in spite of the system. Every now and then the Observer will run a listing of all in CMS that make $100K or more. The numbers will make you numb.

You can find good schools anywhere, but as a rule of thumb, the "better" the parents, the better the schools. "Better" means educated, involved in schools, and raising children properly. Find those parents and you will find good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:12 PM

50 posts, read 84,308 times
Thank you everyone for all the information! Those links are very helpful Gophils, thanks!
I found it odd that so many people are negative about the schools, but I guess there are negative people everywhere looking for something to complain about. I am really looking forward to the smaller class sizes. We are from the Chicago suburbs originally, but have been in Orange County California the past 2 years and the schools here are so overcrowded. My kids are at a great Charter school, but there are 33 kids in my son's kindergarten classroom and 34 kids in my daughter's 2nd grade classroom. They have no aides and it really bothers me that my kids don't get much attention. They are doing well, but that is in part because my husband and I are doing a lot of work with them every school night.
NDL- that is great to hear about the library system.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniereese View Post
NDL- that is great to hear about the library system.
It's something that I appreciate about Charlotte.

I won't say where (it will start a firestorm on the forum ) - but in one of the Mid Atlantic states, in a county that's well thought of, they have large facilities with empty shelves, or shelves lined with old, and irrelevant, books.

That experience made me appreciate what we have in Charlotte .

Also, Charlotte participates with Hoopla Digital - on online service that allows card holders to borrow *all* kinds of materials.

You'll hear me pipe up on the forum about crime in Charlotte, but I will say that there are many benefits of living within the Charlotte City limits. The library system is one of them.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:44 PM

631 posts, read 892,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniereese View Post
I've been doing some research on moving our family to North Carolina. Originally, I thought the Raleigh area would be the better place (on paper), but am now leaning more toward Charlotte. Charlotte seem like the better fit. The school ratings in Ballantyne, Marvin, Matthews, and Waxhaw mainly seem to be 8-10 on the Great Schools site. I'm not really sure how the zoning works and would love some clarification. I know some of the schools I mentions are in UC or MC. But, Once your child is in an elementary school, can they be moved or do they stay put until middle school? If your child completes elementary school at say, Marvin Elem, would all their classmates feed to the same middle school? If we bought a house in the Marvin Ridge High School area, I'm assuming that could potentially change in the years to come? Our children are young; 2nd grade, Kindergarten, 4 and 2 yr. olds. Sorry for all the questions, it is confusing! Overall, the schools I've been looking at seem to be great and I am so lost why so many threads say it is not so. Am I missing something??

Thanks for any direction!!
Speaking just for UC, they typically have 3-4 elementary schools that feed one middle school, that in turn feed one high school. They call these clusters within the county district. There are some specialty schools like CATA, and some academies spread around different schools for things like film, IB, culinary, and such.

The boundaries for the schools and clusters have changed in the past and are currently being reviewed again. Previously they would grandfather HS kids to stay until they graduate but not at the elementary or middle schools. The current wish list for the next moves is to provide grandfathering from K-12 if they do make a change. All on the table now and there won't be a proposal until Mar-May 2018. Some areas are relatively immune to border changes, but locations between multiple schools are obviously more volatile.

And all the locations you listed above do have great schools. There's no right or wrong; it depends on personal preference.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 AM

50 posts, read 84,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Speaking just for UC, they typically have 3-4 elementary schools that feed one middle school, that in turn feed one high school. They call these clusters within the county district. There are some specialty schools like CATA, and some academies spread around different schools for things like film, IB, culinary, and such.

The boundaries for the schools and clusters have changed in the past and are currently being reviewed again. Previously they would grandfather HS kids to stay until they graduate but not at the elementary or middle schools. The current wish list for the next moves is to provide grandfathering from K-12 if they do make a change. All on the table now and there won't be a proposal until Mar-May 2018. Some areas are relatively immune to border changes, but locations between multiple schools are obviously more volatile.

And all the locations you listed above do have great schools. There's no right or wrong; it depends on personal preference.

Good luck!
Thanks! That's helpful. Good to know that things are changing again, it seems like the county redoes the zones kind of often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte