Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:59 PM

391 posts, read 401,817 times

Advertisements

Charlotte also has an Asian population of 5.2 percent. But, since the term Oriental isn't used now days, it is hard to distinguish what percentage are Indian/Pakistani, etc. Also, there is a growing Jewish population as well as Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I had to look it up.

According to the 2010 census:

White 50%
Black 35%
Asian 5%
Latino 13%

I did find this re: Indians specifically

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I had to look it up.

White 50%
Black 35%
Asian 5%
Latino 13%

Strange. That totals 103 percent and Native Americans aren't included. It is strange that the FBI and federal crime statistics count Hispanics as whites. That may make some ethnic groups look better but it does no justice for whites. So, what's new? Well, we all know what they say about statistics.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I had to look it up.

White 50%
Black 35%
Asian 5%
Latino 13%

Strange. That totals 103 percent and Native Americans aren't included. It is strange that the FBI and federal crime statistics count Hispanics as whites. That may make some ethnic groups look better but it does no justice for whites. So, what's new? Well, we all know what they say about statistics. I wonder where Muslims and Jews from the middle-east and western Asia are categorized? They would have to be either Asian or black or white? Oh well, I've thought about this issue enough.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Strange. That totals 103 percent and Native Americans aren't included. It is strange that the FBI and federal crime statistics count Hispanics as whites. That may make some ethnic groups look better but it does no justice for whites. So, what's new? Well, we all know what they say about statistics. I wonder where Muslims and Jews from the middle-east and western Asia are categorized? They would have to be either Asian or black or white? Oh well, I've thought about this issue enough.
I suspect you may be right about the overlap with Hispanic and White.

Here is the info:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045216/37

Old 04-06-2017, 12:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
There's also a burgeoning Tuvaluan and Nauruan population in Charlotte, just outside Huntersville.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM

386 posts, read 365,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
There's also a burgeoning Tuvaluan and Nauruan population in Charlotte, just outside Huntersville.
... which, for the uninitiated or not quite as well-informed, refers to immigrants from the miniscule populations of the small southwest Pacific islands of Tuvalu and Nauru. Interesting info Larry; likely one or a few guy(s)/lady(ies)/family(ise) found their way to NC followed by relatives a la most immigration patterns.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Strange. That totals 103 percent and Native Americans aren't included.
National Geographic and related researchers which identified the US' initial immigrants as primarily of west Eurasian and some east Asian ethnicity may also find lack of a purported native sub-category interesting. In any case, far more Asians of widely disparate ethnic and national background live in the CLT metro area some realize. The same applies to Europeans, South Americans, Africans, etc. For example, approximately 10,000 Chinese and/or people of Chinese ethnicity live in/around Charlotte (visit Grand Asia grocer owned by native Chinese in Stallings).

Similarly, the Korean-owned, Super G Mart (E Intl Blvd) caters to far more than many Koreans and other Asians. A visit puts Charlotte's ethnic diversity on display in both the clientele and foods from around our world (Asian, Latin America, C&E Europe, Africa, etc.). Not just western European grocers and restaurant exist in CLT, there are also Polish, Russian, South African, Indian/south Asian, Middle Eastern, Japanese, etc. businesses for natives and explorers alike.

For educational, professional, political, socioeconomic, and other reasons, increasing numbers of non-gringo Yanks have moved to the Carolinas directly or from other states. Not so much Scots-Irish nor Germans any more, but there aren't too many European nations reflected in people I know, have worked with, or become friends. Can't say quite the same regarding South America and Africa, but I know a few to several people from many of the respective countries.

Generally higher educated, professional immigrants are more likely tied to companies they've worked with or been hired to join here in the U.S. For example, the http://charlotteusa.com/business-inf...onal-business/ and World Affairs Council of Charlotte – Providing Leadership for Global Thinking highlight related companies, interests, and educational opportunities.

Driving along Central Avenue, Monroe Road, and other nearby streets highlights other large ethnic representations than Charlotte's primarily Caucasian, African American, and growing Latino populations. On Monroe Road near Rama, a Buddhist temple caters to its followers of different backgrounds yet also including what I believe are a good number of Burmese, Nepalese, and others. Somewhere in CLT, I've also seen a Cambodian temple.

In/around Charlotte, at least a few supposed Thai restaurants are actually staffed or even operated by ex-neighbors from Laos or even Cambodia. Similarly, a few supposed Indian restaurants are staffed or operated by ex-residents of neighboring nations. Past residents of ex-Yugoslavjan nations own/operate at least a few Italian restaurants. Similarly, more diversity exists in Latin American restaurants then may meet the eyes of many U.S.-born, raised, and never lived outside the U.S. Americans.

Bottom line: Wayyyy more diversity exists in Charlotte than some people perceive or may believe. The number and diversity of residents continues as a favorable spice enhancing the city and its' population.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:27 PM

I do much of my shopping at Indian and Hispanic Grocery stores. Over half of my chums are from other countries including Asia, Europe, and South Africa. When I eat out, it is usually Korean, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, or Peruvian. Some people can't understanding how I, from England, and my mates support vetting of immigrants and enforcement of regulations. We love foreigners just the legal ones though. Charlotte is very international although it seems as if people from other places are reluctant to admit it. Our 5.2 percent of Asians in Charlotte is actually higher than the rate in many cities for which we consider very cosmopolitan. I am pleased about that. It means more foodie opportunities.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
... which, for the uninitiated or not quite as well-informed, refers to immigrants from the miniscule populations of the small southwest Pacific islands of Tuvalu and Nauru. Interesting info Larry; likely one or a few guy(s)/lady(ies)/family(ise) found their way to NC followed by relatives a la most immigration patterns.
Upon further thought, I recalled Australia's off-shored more than a few incoming refugees from other nations to Tuvalua and Naurua. Some of those refugees may have eventually found themselves moved from Aussie refugee camps all the way to the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte