Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM

391 posts, read 402,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No one in this country is taught that slavery never occurred in the north. We are also taught about the slavery/rum triangle. Not everyone knows that there were still slaves in NJ at the time of the Civil War.

Off the top of my head, at least a dozen of my people died during the Civil War. You have made it clear that you think that we're deficient in knowledge of our own history. We know more than you think we know. You, however, don't seem to understand the ties between Reconstruction & the lost cause. As a child, I had plenty of contact with people born during the lost cause era. What I knew of those people was not in the books that you read, but thanks for giving your opinion.
First, what do you mean when you say I "conflate" things? It doesn't make sense and I don't believe it is even a word. Secondly, you have completely misread what I have written. I have been referring to those that are not aware of the shared blame for the causes of the war. I don't believe that included you. I furthermore have no idea what you are talking about when you say, "You, however, don't seem to understand the ties between Reconstruction & the lost cause. It is my guess that I know at least as much about that time period as you. I do not disagree with the historic facts that you posted. The premise to my writing is that it makes no sense to punish the south for what the north instigated and started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I'm not sure how to make it more clear for you. This is primary source from the transcript of the Minutes of the 14th Annual United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division

The United Daughters of the Confederacy was started in 1894,nearly 30 years after the Civil War ended. The UDC was not started to help care for aging, aged, wounded Confederate soldiers (an 18 year-old in 1865 would have been 47 years-old in 1894 - that was an old man in 1894). It was started as part of the Lost Cause movement to mythologize the Civil War. It's goal was to build monuments to the Confederacy. To promote the myth that is the Lost Cause.

"You were the song of the Old South: you are the theme of the New South; and to-day in this high hour of peace and commercial-ism, when men are prone to forget, we find you banded together, United Daughters of the Confederacy, all still loyal to Southern rights, democracy, and, thank God, to white supremacy."

This was in 1910.

https://archive.org/stream/minutesof...3unit_djvu.txt
And this 2017.

Unless there is a specific white supremacy message inscribed on the monument then no one knows about it, and no thinks about it, and its irrelevant. In the past 100 plus years, the monuments have taken on different meanings than the people who put them up intended. Just as people change, the meaning and understanding of the monuments has changed. They are no longer symbols of hate and oppression, but merely historical artifacts.

And lots of Union monuments were put up at the same time.

Last edited by BC1960; 08-17-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
If it's Confederate it's about white supremacy. If it's Civil War it's a war memorial. That's the difference I see. You could have a Civil War memorial right where the one was in Durham that was for all the folks from Durham who suffered through slavery and lost their lives in the Civil War and it wouldn't be offensive, but when it's only to the Confederacy that's when it's offensive.

I have plenty of Civil War veterans (Confederate and Union) in my ancestry and can point to specific Civil War sites in North Carolina linked to my family, but at the sites they have Historic Markers (the highway signs) that tell a little more about the story and educate folks. I think the proposed North Carolina Civil War museum in Fayetteville could be good for educating folks too, but I'm for removing these statues from public grounds or at least putting them in a memorial garden or cemetery. We don't need to be putting the Confederacy on a pedestal.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
ANYHOO, I actually came back to this thread to answer the question in the title. Did y'all see this in the Charlotte Observer today?

Where are North Carolina’s Confederate monuments? Here’s a map.

Quote:
More than 95 monuments honoring the Confederacy dot North Carolina, according to state records.

In all, the state is home to some 120 Civil War monuments – some paying tribute to specific army units or battles, others praising women of the Confederacy. About 10 honor Union states.

Most of the monuments were dedicated between 1900 and 1925, data show. The most recent statute sits on private property in Johnson County. It was dedicated in 2010 and honors Confederate General Joseph Johnston.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...#storylink=cpy
Relevant to the Charlotte area there are 3 in the city of Charlotte (one dedicated in 1977!), one in Gastonia, one in Concord, one in Monroe, one in Cornelius, one in Shelby, one in Lincolnton and on out throughout NC. Most are at courthouses, but there are other locations as well.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
There's isn't even a hint of anything that can be construed as favoring whites, in any of the below monuments:

Monument to Gaston County Confederate Soldiers | NCpedia

North Carolina Civil War Monuments

North Carolina Civil War Monuments

History and Gardens of Justice Park | City of Charlottesville

Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And this 2017.

Unless there is a specific white supremacy message inscribed on the monument then no one knows about it, and no thinks about it, and its irrelevant. In the past 100 plus years, the monuments have taken on different meanings than the people who put them up intended. Just as people change, the meaning and understanding of the monuments has changed. They are no longer symbols of hate and oppression, but merely historical artifacts.

And lots of Union monuments were put up at the same time.
I don't believe that there is any meaning other than just a commemoration to those that fought and gave their lives.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If it's Confederate it's about white supremacy. If it's Civil War it's a war memorial. That's the difference I see.
I am not challenging this statement; I ask for edification purposes:

Were there no free Blacks who served volitionally, in the Confederacy's cause?

Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
There's isn't even a hint of anything that can be construed as favoring whites, in any of the below monuments:

]
Precisely!

Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If it's Confederate it's about white supremacy. If it's Civil War it's a war memorial. That's the difference I see. You could have a Civil War memorial right where the one was in Durham that was for all the folks from Durham who suffered through slavery and lost their lives in the Civil War and it wouldn't be offensive, but when it's only to the Confederacy that's when it's offensive.

I have plenty of Civil War veterans (Confederate and Union) in my ancestry and can point to specific Civil War sites in North Carolina linked to my family, but at the sites they have Historic Markers (the highway signs) that tell a little more about the story and educate folks. I think the proposed North Carolina Civil War museum in Fayetteville could be good for educating folks too, but I'm for removing these statues from public grounds or at least putting them in a memorial garden or cemetery. We don't need to be putting the Confederacy on a pedestal.
Americans should be proud to be descendants of Confederate soldiers and kick the crap out of anyone that anyone that wishes to tarnish that image. In reality, blacks should thank god that they were descendants of slaves. They ended up the the most generous, least racist country in the free world and have the opportunity to be whatever they wish. But, reality just isn't a "thing" I suppose. I am sure that the educated and successful black person does not deny this.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:37 PM

"The issues of emancipation and military service were intertwined from the onset of the Civil War. News from Fort Sumter set off a rush by free black men to enlist in U.S. military units..."

"When Gen. John C. Frémont (photo citation: 111-B-3756) in Missouri and Gen. David Hunter (photo citation: 111-B-3580) in South Carolina issued proclamations that emancipated slaves in their military regions and permitted them to enlist, their superiors sternly revoked their orders. By mid-1862, however, the escalating number of former slaves (contrabands), the declining number of white volunteers, and the increasingly pressing personnel needs of the Union Army pushed the Government into reconsidering the ban."

https://www.archives.gov/education/l...acks-civil-war

So let me get this straight:

Free Black men enlisted in ever increasing numbers, to volitionally participate in the Confederate Army, that they might gain full (recognized) personhood, by bolstering the cause of the Confederacy (slavery).

Wow.

Or...could it be that free Blacks saw themselves standing with the Confederacy for reasons outside of slavery? The later makes a lot of sense; the former, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte