Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Knowing nothing about guns, do you have to get a permit to do that? Not that I'd think I would have a problem. The last and only speeding ticket that I ever got was in 1975. Other than that, I think my record would be spotless. My FICO is over 800 and I'm willing to part with DNA & RNA. Being a former Fed, my fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Can you get a new 9mm something for $500? Is a "Glock" a 9mm? Questions. Questions! I know ani will be back with a list but the more, the merrier!
HA HA HA. Well I am going to have to sign off and fix dinner. You can get plenty of things for $500. That Mossberg is under $500 if I remember correctly. Now that is a home security shotgun - so I would highly recommend you check that out. Altho I doubt anyone will say this, it is the closest thing you can get to a legal "sawed off shotgun."

The handguns that LE carry are expensive. Most of those are in the $1000 range. If you have not handled a gun b/f - you need to go somewhere and feel the different weights, grips and see whether you like a revolver . . . recoil varies . . . Since you are not wanting to carry a concealed weapon, I would consider a shotgun for home security. Then you can work your way to a handgun after you are comfortable w/ a shotgun and know you can protect your household w/ that. That is my suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM

51 posts, read 163,537 times
Anifani, you are COOL!! I really like reading your posts.

Firepower in Matthews has a lot of pistols you can rent and try.

You can get lots of gun for under $500. I like Remington shotguns, just a basic model pump is under $300. I like semi-autos, and you can get a lot of Glocks in solid calibres for under $500.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM

716 posts, read 2,161,071 times
Whew, okay, well I touched some nerves I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Luv ya, Ultra V and hope I didn't hurt your feelings or sound disrespectful . . .
Goodness no, ani! I like dialogue.
I wish what you said was the worst thing anyone's ever said to me on the internet!

Perhaps I over-stated what I was thinking.

I personally don't know that I could shoot-to-kill someone, and that was the thought that was heavy on my mind.

That said, I'm pretty sure I could take out a few kneecaps or something. Just not deadly force like I've heard other people here posturing about.

THAT said, I totally respect one's right to protect one's home and property and loved ones in whatever way you deem necessary. YOU are the one who ultimately has to live with whatever decision you make in that instant. Far be it from me to place judgement on anyone for that.

And something I love about the south is just how protective people are of those who are close to them. They're not afraid to BE close, and show love, and fight like a cornered dog when necessary to protect those people. I wasn't trying to say that comes without conscience or morality; I don't see how it could.

Also, I like the term you used: "all rational people." First, I got a laugh out of it because terms like "rational" or "sane" or "normal" are so open to interpretation! Everyone who makes a decision thinks they are being "rational." But then the more I thought about it, the more it made me ponder: just how rational could you be were you under attack?

But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
You saying your a Yankee shows me your most likely from the North which I am from NY so this thinking is foreign to you because in the north we where told all our lives that Guns are bad.
Verrry interesting. I'm a born-New Yorker/raised-Jersey girl. What you said is SO true.

However, my dad is a "gun nut." I don't personally fear guns or think guns are bad. I can even go so far to think they can be appreciated on a work-of-art level.

You can kill someone with just about ANYTHING if you have the intent. Guns are an easy way to do it (as opposed to something like a skillet) but it's no more dangerous than running someone over with a car.

Quote:
Like others have mentioned, look how many victims cooperated and were still killed just recently. It's a different world than just 10 years ago
I sometimes wonder if this is true too... Are times really different, or is everything just hyper-reported and over-sensationalized now? Is it more prevalent, or are we just more aware? For example, make your scope bigger than 10 years. Think over the course of history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
just had to point out the absence of merit in your argument
Well, that's not a very nice thing to say. I think what I was saying has merit, and it wasn't exactly an argument, just a position statement.

Quote:
I, for one, do not "think nothing of it". I think you are overstepping it there with that statement. We all may have a certain swagger in our step in posting on this thread, but that does not mean we have no conscience or morals.
I never said YOU did, nor did I point out anyone in this thread in particular. But hearing people say flippantly that they don't mind "taking a few out" or things of that sort just makes me cringe. Is it posturing, or are there people that mean it? THAT thought creeps me out.

The fault of the internet: we have no way of knowing what is closest to the truth, because we're all essentially strangers. We only have what people SAY to go on.

Also, conscience? Subjective. Morality? TOTALLY subjective.

Quote:
I, for one, do take action in my community. I am going to leave that one at that.

I, for one, do safeguard my home actively in advance.
Great! Me too.

Quote:
In closing, I ask you this question... how is it that it is ok and expected for cops to protect self and the people they serve by possessing and using a gun when the situation deems it necessary, but, in the absence of a cop, you think it unreasonable for people to take similar action?
The same way it's "okay" for soldiers to kill people in the name of protecting our country.

And I didn't say it was unreasonable. I can totally understand the line of reasoning.

But both cops and soldiers are trained professionals, and it's their responsibility. They won't use deadly force unless necessary, and they have been trained to know the difference. Do they ever screw up in the heat of the moment? Sure, they're human. But they've got a far better chance than Joe Homeowner.

But now we're straying from my original point. If you go back, I said I thought it was sad that taking matters into our own hands is the only way we can feel safe. That point is devoid of any judgement on what you consider the best way to protect yourself; it's just sad that you have to.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM

578 posts, read 2,601,354 times
I wonder how this story would have turned out had she been armed:

Gunshots bring abrupt end to frantic 911 call - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/20/911.call.ap/index.html - broken link)

"A woman made a 911 call from her suburban mansion to report an attempted break-in, but her pleas were interrupted by gunshots, then silence: She had been shot to death.

The woman told the dispatcher late Wednesday morning that someone was trying to break into her home in upscale West Covina, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Dan Rosenberg said."

mod cut: portions of text removed

FWIW, got our shotgun in the house!

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,677,023 times
Quote:
Mossberg - 500 HS410 - 18.5" barrel

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5 - broken link)

My dad just added this one, and one of my dearest friends has this one (female).

This may be the next one I buy.

I will look some more for a revolver I think you might like.
I've got this one: Mossberg Tactical Persuador. 6 in the hole plus one then side saddle that holds 5 more. It's a pistol grip with collapsible shoulder stock. And it shoots great! Only $300 if you know where to go.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/SA/500TACTiCAL/50420.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-22-2008 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: copyright issues ...please do not post images that you do not own

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Hand gun or shot gun?

Actually, we have quite a few members who can give very good advice on this.

I would suggest a Mossberg for a shotgun. Let me get you some links. My dad just bought a new one and I really like the weight of it. Have not shot it myself yet.

For a handgun, oh my - there are so many suggestions and everyone has his/her own preference.

My dad and I were just discussing this recently. We were discussing a Sig, but he said he would stick w/ a S & W or maybe a Colt. He is not into 9 MM automatics the way I am. He is a former Marine and a sharpshooter, so I take his recommendations seriously . . . but I just like a 9MM automatic.

Let me get you some links.
Can't go wrong with any Sig, Beretta, Kimber, FNP, and H&K for autos.

Sig is standard side arm for many LE, and depending on model and sites, you'll spend $500 to $700.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Here are three great carry options:

S & W 642:

http://guntalk.dbw.org/images/illust...sw642cntl.jpeg

Beretta 9000s:

http://www.gunslot.com/files/images/4355.preview.jpg (broken link)

Or the CZ 75 Compact:

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main036.png (broken link)

The 9000s is a discontinued model but you can find it at a gunbroker or guntrader online for roughly $300. I think I've seen it used at Gander for $325.

The 642 is Double Action only with an internal hammer--means no snag and it's all point and shoot!

You will find beaucoups of great firearm info, user reviews/blogs etc from the following website: THR - Powered by vBulletin

And I'll post this again since it's relevant to the discussion: Cornered Cat

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-22-2008 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: copyright issues ...please do not post images that are not yours

Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Knowing nothing about guns, do you have to get a permit to do that? Not that I'd think I would have a problem. The last and only speeding ticket that I ever got was in 1975. Other than that, I think my record would be spotless. My FICO is over 800 and I'm willing to part with DNA & RNA. Being a former Fed, my fingerprints are on file with the FBI. Can you get a new 9mm something for $500? Is a "Glock" a 9mm? Questions. Questions! I know ani will be back with a list but the more, the merrier!
$500 - $600 will get you a very nice auto especially for a beginner. Might want to consider something of higher caliber if you can handle it like a 40acp or even 45acp. Much greater knock down with 40 or 45, but of course recoil will be greater.

With the 9mm, make sure you have hollows. Actually my set up in my first two mags is: 3 Glasers, 4 hollows, then 3 FMJ (full metal jacket). The Glasers basically explode, the hollows shred with no exit, and the FMJ will likely go through you or a windshield (if that's ever necessary ).

My other 4 mags are 7 hollows then 3 FMJ. Hey, those Glasers are $20 for 6 rounds!

About the gun range, most will allow you to have someone with you with experience. Take a friend to Firepower in Matthews: Welcome, Firearms Instruction, Showroom, Firepower, Inc., Matthews, NCwhere you can rent a firearm for $5 and they will provide you with 50 rounds for roughly $10. They don't rent all their inventory, but at least you can get some practice. They also have a store in Monroe. Both stores have indoor ranges. Matthews store offers firearm safety training as well as CCW training. Don't know about Monroe.

Last edited by carolina_guy; 03-21-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,504,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Here are two great carry options:

S & W 642:

http://guntalk.dbw.org/images/illust...sw642cntl.jpeg

Beretta 9000s:

http://www.gunslot.com/files/images/4355.preview.jpg (broken link)

Or the CZ 75 Compact:

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main036.png (broken link)

The 9000s is a discontinued model but you can find it at a gunbroker or guntrader online for roughly $300. I think I've seen it used at Gander for $325.

You will find beaucoups of great firearm info, user reviews/blogs etc from the following website: THR - Powered by vBulletin

And I'll post this again since it's relevant to the discussion: Cornered Cat
carolina_guy - Those look more like the things I'd be interested in. If I'm going to get a gun it will probably be something that would be suitable as a concealed-carry firearm. Barkingowl had me looking on the Glock Web site and I found a few items that appealed to me. The weird thing about buying a gun is, I was always used to using Consumer Reports to buy something and this purchase is definitely out of their usual testing parameters! How does anyone start down the road to get a concealed-carry permit and buy the gun or is it the other way around?

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-22-2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: quote edited

Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I said I thought it was sad that taking matters into our own hands is the only way we can feel safe. That point is devoid of any judgement on what you consider the best way to protect yourself; it's just sad that you have to.
UV, I understand where you are coming from and it is never a happy thought to consider killing someone for their stupidity. But in all honesty, our country would not be where it is today if gun laws were not what they are today. The stricter the gun laws, the less safe all of us are. Crime has gotten out of hand and it is directly proportional (well among other things that has brought this country down like morality issues) to the increase in gun control.

For all of you who own a gun or support those that do, I HIGHLY encourage you to become an NRA member, which is the surest way for us to maintain our 2nd Amendment rights. And I really don't want this to spur into a political discussion (and for what it's worth I think it's a sad state we live in when all we have to choose from in a president is the 3 goons left in the running), if you value your 2nd Amendment rights, you should do some keen research on the two lefties. Voting for them is voting for more anti-gun laws. They'll have to shoot me for mine if it ever comes to that. So let's not let it come to that!!!!

Last edited by carolina_guy; 03-21-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte