Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,418,379 times

Advertisements

Starr so well said my dh and I have been saying that since we moved here...and was hoping after leaving our lifestyle in NJ for something more simple it wouldnt matter, obviously that isnt the case here in charlotte...def giving u rep points for that

however a friend of mine told me most of it is Plastic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,620,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Starr so well said my dh and I have been saying that since we moved here...and was hoping after leaving our lifestyle in NJ for something more simple it wouldnt matter, obviously that isnt the case here in charlotte...def giving u rep points for that

however a friend of mine told me most of it is Plastic...
Credit cards are the equal opportunity status maker . . . If you gauge status that way.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM

69 posts, read 357,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I am the Jones.
Well, then please stop posting so much. I'm trying to keep up!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,681,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timunh View Post
Well, then please stop posting so much. I'm trying to keep up!
hehe...good one.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 PM

SSTARRX3: do you mind if we play w/ the thread some more?

I would like to see what people think is an excess display or things that go on in their neighborhoods (or kids' schools) that put pressure on others to keep up.

I think it would be enlightening to hear what goes on and makes people feel there is so much emphasis put on "status" purchases or displays of wealth (whether plastic or real).

So can you all list things that would fall in that category? Like - luxury autos? Or is it something else - like designer clothing? Or jewelry? Expensive golf clubs?

I would like to know what Mr. and Mrs. Jones are doing.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,681,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
SSTARRX3: do you mind if we play w/ the thread some more?

I would like to see what people think is an excess display or things that go on in their neighborhoods (or kids' schools) that put pressure on others to keep up.

I think it would be enlightening to hear what goes on and makes people feel there is so much emphasis put on "status" purchases or displays of wealth (whether plastic or real).

So can you all list things that would fall in that category? Like - luxury autos? Or is it something else - like designer clothing? Or jewelry? Expensive golf clubs?

I would like to know what Mr. and Mrs. Jones are doing.

I know I've been teasing a bit in this thread, but in all seriousness, I think the closest I can come to trying to keep up with the Jones is improving and maintaining my landscape. Yes, I thoroughly enjoy working in the yard and it's even therapeutic for me, but there are a couple of yards I envy in my neighborhood. Of course, they have been here longer than I have.

I don't really see it as a competition, but think a certain bar has been set and I want to be at the top of that bar, if not being a trend setter myself. Having said all that, it gives me joy to see others caring about their yards as much as I do, and I often compliment people's efforts.

I wish more would try to keep up with Jones from a landscaping standpoint. It makes the whole neighborhood look nicer and more inviting.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:50 PM

189 posts, read 581,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Most of the people in CLT (2/3) are transplants.
Understood, but most people with money in the northeast are not like the people in the Charlotte when it comes to money. Most people in the northeast know how to act

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I know I've been teasing a bit in this thread, but in all seriousness, I think the closest I can come to trying to keep up with the Jones is improving and maintaining my landscape. Yes, I thoroughly enjoy working in the yard and it's even therapeutic for me, but there are a couple of yards I envy in my neighborhood. Of course, they have been here longer than I have.

I don't really see it as a competition, but think a certain bar has been set and I want to be at the top of that bar, if not being a trend setter myself. Having said all that, it gives me joy to see others caring about their yards as much as I do, and I often compliment people's efforts.

I wish more would try to keep up with Jones from a landscaping standpoint. It makes the whole neighborhood look nicer and more inviting.
Oh - if we are talking about landscaping here . . . I assure you, my DH has always worked hard to be the person who sets the bar for the most beautiful yard - until we moved here, LOL. Our lot is sooooo very different from the last home we owned . . . and we were up on a hill in that neighborhood and loved "showing off" the exterior of our home. We sited the house on the diagonal, so passers-by had a view of 3 sides of our home. We worked hard to make all three areas very interesting and beautifully manicured.

But here, we have a totally different situation (heavily wooded) and wow . . . it has been a huge challenge for DH. Now I think it is very nice for neighbors to take pride in their yards . . . and if we are talking about keeping up w/ the Jones's in that respect . . . then GO FOR IT!!! That only makes a neighborhood rise in value!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 03-23-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,423,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Im from CT and was amazed at how showy people the majority of people are in Charlotte. People in CT/Westchester NY know how to act when they have money. Most people in Charlotte have a lot to learn...
I'm gonna stick around for this one.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Understood, but most people with money in the northeast are not like the people in the Charlotte when it comes to money. Most people in the northeast know how to act
I didn't see the ostentation until this city started growing.

You will see actual wealth here . . . but not so much outside the Country Clubs. A lot of people work hard at giving the impression they have $$$, but really . . . we all know what jobs make the big bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte