Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times

Advertisements

Okay, it's no secret, times are a little scary for many of us right now.

I thought it might be helpful to post a thread to share ideas on how to keep your spirits up when things around you are trying to drag them down.

For me personally, I have given up watching the evening news. It's amazing how much just doing that one thing has helped me

Saw this story in the Charlotte Observer and it made me smile - hope it will you too:

Gloom goes marching out at church | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/555180.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Skimming past any post preceded by the login CouponJack.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Skimming past any post preceded by the login CouponJack.
Well, I know you are joking, lol, but seriously there are certain threads I don't even read anymore just because I don't need the aggravation myself

Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I know you are joking, lol, but seriously there are certain threads I don't even read anymore just because I don't need the aggravation myself
You're not kidding. There might be like 3 or 4 new threads a week that I care to open now. Everything else, I know I can't help on the subject or it's doom and gloome about the economy.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
well at our house...
we no longer have cable and that helps out.
(cable and the internet can be toxic if you allow it)

Overall, we are spending more time doing things together and helping out some friends with a few things and appreciating the blessings that we do have!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM

22,341 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I just go shopping to cure my blues..Helps everyone out

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Well, here is one small thing that I think lifts spirits.

Gardening.

Planning even a simple garden - whether flowers or veggies - can be a really good creative exercise w/ a pay off later in the season.

Even if it is only one pot of flowers . . . just tending them and seeing that bright spot outdoors can be very rewarding.

What can also be neat is creating several flower pots and sharing them with friends. This can be a very economical thing to do if you grow the flowers from seeds.

My dad always said that when life is stress-filled, it is important to "do something with your hands." I found that to be wise. Doesn't matter what you are doing with your hands - digging in the dirt, working on a scrapbook, learning to sew - it just frees the mind when our hands are busy!!!

So when I am feeling down, I find something to do with my hands . . . and gardening (even a tiny project!) can provide a bright spot in the day.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I go to the range.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here is one small thing that I think lifts spirits.

Gardening.

Planning even a simple garden - whether flowers or veggies - can be a really good creative exercise w/ a pay off later in the season.

Even if it is only one pot of flowers . . . just tending them and seeing that bright spot outdoors can be very rewarding.

What can also be neat is creating several flower pots and sharing them with friends. This can be a very economical thing to do if you grow the flowers from seeds.

My dad always said that when life is stress-filled, it is important to "do something with your hands." I found that to be wise. Doesn't matter what you are doing with your hands - digging in the dirt, working on a scrapbook, learning to sew - it just frees the mind when our hands are busy!!!

So when I am feeling down, I find something to do with my hands . . . and gardening (even a tiny project!) can provide a bright spot in the day.
you are SO right and the good thing is....
Spring is around the corner!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
you are SO right and the good thing is....
Spring is around the corner!
Thank Goodness! I think just being outdoors more will lift all our spirits. There is a connection b/n sunlight and mood. Even 20 minutes of sunlight a day helps level hormones and stave off depression.

Take a walk! Just nice to get out in fresh air, even tho I gotta tell ya, taking Miss Scarlett out this morning - whew - it was NIPPY out there!!!! Guess we better not put those winter coats away quite yet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte