Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
As Charlotte grows larger, which is inevitable, the more wealth there will be and the more it will become noticable. You will see even more luxury cars and people with designer handbags and clothes. Is it really that big of a deal???
Not to me. But evidently it is to some people. And I think it is more troublesome for parents w/ kids in school - when the kids come home and feel "left out" or that they are going to be excluded b/c they do not have the "latest, greatest, hottest" stuff the other kids have.

As a mature woman, I am in no way intimidated by anyone else's trappings of success (whether pseudo or real, LOL) but for kids - it can be something that makes them feel ostracized, left out, put down, etc. So I think this is more the concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
And how do you know if these people are happy or not?
I'm srue they meet their definition of happiness, biggest baddest most expensive car, house, etc. and chained to the debt that goes along with it all. And they will not hesitate to tell you all about it.

I have nothing against nice things, but I obtain them without debt, and without any regard to how it impresses people I really don't care about. You and I both know people that will go into deep debt simply to impress strangers, and that makes them happy, even for superficial reasons.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 AM

362 posts, read 995,339 times
Quote:
As Charlotte grows larger, which is inevitable, the more wealth there will be and the more it will become noticable. You will see even more luxury cars and people with designer handbags and clothes. Is it really that big of a deal???
This is how I feel about it. It is not a big deal to have the luxury items at all. But, and I can only speak to where I live, it seems that the more you have the more you want and the more you start to look down on those who don't have as much. There is definately an attitude of superiority which in some cases is laughable because some of these people cannot afford the lifestyle they are living. I have seen huge beautiful homes on the outside with maybe two rooms furnished usually the ones right inside the front door. I feel when all that is important is the dollar value you place on something you become so plastic and unpleasant to be around. I mean honestly does an eight year old girl need a juicy couture outfit she will outgrow in six months. I think the problem is not with what you have but the attitude that some people affect because of what they have. And with kids it is tiring. I have had to have too many conversations with my children that the choice we made for me to be a stay at home mother does affect our spending. My son actually asked me if we were poor because I wouldn't buy a $50.00 video game for no other reason than he wanted it. Hey to each his own I just think when materiel things become more important than the people you interact with it is sad. And yes I know what one deems important is subjective.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
My last name happens to be Jones.

If you want to keep up with me, then you'll be living in a two bedroom apartment, working to support your husband while he's out of work, shopping for groceries at Wal-mart with coupons, and not buying new clothes or shoes or taking a vacation until DH goes back to work and we can ease up a bit on our frugal budget. One spouse drives a late model truck that's almost paid off, the other spouse drives a small four door car that's good on gas.

I know "keeping up with the Joneses" is just a phrase, but every time I see it I can't help but laugh.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post

If you want to keep up with me, then you'll be living in a two bedroom apartment, working to support your husband while he's out of work, shopping for groceries at Wal-mart with coupons, and not buying new clothes or shoes or taking a vacation until DH goes back to work and we can ease up a bit on our frugal budget. One spouse drives a late model truck that's almost paid off, the other spouse drives a small four door car that's good on gas.

I know "keeping up with the Joneses" is just a phrase, but every time I see it I can't help but laugh.
Hang in there, Ctri - there are probably a lot of people out there trying to "keep up w/ the Joneses" by just meeting the bills through hard times . . .

Glad to know you can get a little laugh out of the phrase . . . and kudos for you for managing to get thru/ a challenging time.

When faced w/ a financial crisis, it does make the whole concept of spending money (while going in debt) to make some kind of impression or create an aura of wealth seem pretty silly.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
We'll get there, ani! And thanks for the words of encouragement.

But you're so right... being faced with this financial crisis has really given us a new perspective on what we want to accomplish in life. DH has been out of work for 10 months, and before that happened we had a lot of "grand plans" for ourselves. I'm not trying to say we'll lead a life of deprivation when he goes back to work... just that we have different priorities now. I think we'll be better off in the end, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hang in there, Ctri - there are probably a lot of people out there trying to "keep up w/ the Joneses" by just meeting the bills through hard times . . .

Glad to know you can get a little laugh out of the phrase . . . and kudos for you for managing to get thru/ a challenging time.

When faced w/ a financial crisis, it does make the whole concept of spending money (while going in debt) to make some kind of impression or create an aura of wealth seem pretty silly.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
We did it back in the 80's. While living in So. NJ, we drove the sports cars, paid for kids college on the "credit card", lived above our means, going to and having parties with our "political group of friends". DH lost his job. Funny how all the invitations stopped and so did the phone calls. We took a long hard look on what we perceived to be the value of our lives/lifestyle. We decided to turn everything around. We sold the cars and bought 2 used, it took 5 yrs. but we paid down all the credit cards and decided to make a major life change. We gave the kids most of the material furniture etc. Packed up the u-hall and the dog and moved into beautiful E. North Carolina without knowing one person there. Our NJ "friends" and family thought we lost our minds., but we knew we found our integrity. Now 5 years living in the country, my husband works in a home improvement store, I am a stay at home writer and we sit on the front porch watching the dog. We had a wonderful Easter dinner with 4 wonderful, down to earth Southern friends. We ate, laughed and played with the dogs. We barter, I cook for the vet, he takes care of our Samoyed. In lieu of a raise, my dh got a choice of an appliance, my friend painted our kitchen, she got my 4 yr. old dishwasher, her friend got her dishwasher. It is a wonderful way of life and all it took was my husband losing his job to see what really is important for our lives. My husband's favorite phrase is "no one has died wishing he spent more time at the office". Now we spend more time at home enjoying each other and life.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We did it back in the 80's. While living in So. NJ, we drove the sports cars, paid for kids college on the "credit card", lived above our means, going to and having parties with our "political group of friends". DH lost his job. Funny how all the invitations stopped and so did the phone calls. We took a long hard look on what we perceived to be the value of our lives/lifestyle. We decided to turn everything around. We sold the cars and bought 2 used, it took 5 yrs. but we paid down all the credit cards and decided to make a major life change. We gave the kids most of the material furniture etc. Packed up the u-hall and the dog and moved into beautiful E. North Carolina without knowing one person there. Our NJ "friends" and family thought we lost our minds., but we knew we found our integrity. Now 5 years living in the country, my husband works in a home improvement store, I am a stay at home writer and we sit on the front porch watching the dog. We had a wonderful Easter dinner with 4 wonderful, down to earth Southern friends. We ate, laughed and played with the dogs. We barter, I cook for the vet, he takes care of our Samoyed. In lieu of a raise, my dh got a choice of an appliance, my friend painted our kitchen, she got my 4 yr. old dishwasher, her friend got her dishwasher. It is a wonderful way of life and all it took was my husband losing his job to see what really is important for our lives. My husband's favorite phrase is "no one has died wishing he spent more time at the office". Now we spend more time at home enjoying each other and life.

Kelsie, you are my hero

Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post

Been there done that a couple of times. Take it one day at a time and you will make it through. My thoughts are with you. One thing I learned from those time is just how much money goes to non essentials. It is was an eye opener for me.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Now that is truly changing the way you live. I admire you. I think too many of us think changing our lifestyle means moving from the "crazy fast paced" Northeast to the "slower" South yet still living the same way. I admit I am somewhat guilty of that. Kelsey I'm curious do you think you could have made such a change with children still at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte