Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 18,426 times

Advertisements

I think there is a big difference between "I have money" and "I AM money".

I've been here for two years and can honestly say that is what is around me. If there was more to them, more substance, more consideration, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone buying anything for themselves. But when the conversations that take place are always about which neighbor has what, that I am annoyed with. It ends up dictating the natural flow of things, even when you're one of the people that doesn't want to play that game. You end up withdrawing from the neighborhood just to get away from the game. But, if all the non-game-playing people withdraw, who is left? What if all the people that seem to enjoy the game actually have substance underneath all of the layers of pretending? Do you have to play the game to get to know them?

We live in a very nice neighborhood and make good money, but I don't want to BE the money anymore than I did when I was dirt-poor. I like real people, with real bills, real kids, real jobs, real debt, real cars, real clothes and real personalities. You can have money and nice things and still have a nice, kind personality capable of having interesting conversations with anyone of any financial status, even while they are wearing $15.00 shorts from Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Mullman, your work is beautiful. I am so impressed. There is nothing about your pursuits that have to do w/ "keeping up w/ the Joneses!!!" Your "hobby" is an avocation and I am in awe.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:20 AM

45 posts, read 154,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Please. I do not covet that stuff at all. If you read all of the posts in this thread, I believe the point of my post was well made and understood by just about everybody. Families having both parents work full time jobs just to have stuff to try to impress others. I am not saying having nice things is bad. If someone has worked themsleves into a high paying job that affords them luxuries that make them happy, by all means spend that cash! It's good for the economy! My point was folks killing themselves, sometimes at the expensive of what is really important, their family, to try and keep up appearances and keep up with the folks that have plenty of cash to play with.

People are free to choose their own lifestyles - thats what makes this country great.

Usually the ones complaining are the ones that can't afford to compete. LOL

Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Well, I have not mastered uploading from photobucket, it appears. Tried upload my 914.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Mullman-I love the white BMW!!

I knew a guy in Miami that traded in his and his wifes car for a 740 bmw. Two cars for one! The payment was $1300 a month for a lease. He had to eventually downgrade and now lives in a one bedroom apt in a not so great area. Plus he had to turn the 740 back in due to money problems. He's definitely caught up in the rat race. One of the reasons why we (bf and I) left Miami.

The bf and I have been looking at houses for the past few weeks. All new because we agreed thats what we really wanted. Of course, everything we liked was about $350-$400K. We could afford it but it just didn't make sense. It's only two of us and those houses were between 3000-4500sq ft!! I said to him: "Would you rather have a huge nice house and medium cars and no toys, no life or a small great house with good cars and toys and a life??"

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallantyneBaby View Post
People are free to choose their own lifestyles - thats what makes this country great.

Usually the ones complaining are the ones that can't afford to compete. LOL
I don't think that is true at all. Yes, everyone is free to choose his/her own lifestyle. We are talking about superficial people here. If you have the $$ to afford an upscale lifestyle filled w/ luxuries, then go for it. No one is talking about resenting anyone else's wealth.

Competing is the point. If you have money, you don't have to compete, you just need to enjoy it. What is sad is when people do not have the money to back up the debt. There is a difference.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Long way to go w/ this one.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-27-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: upload picture

Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 18,426 times
Well said, Anifani821!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
"Would you rather have a huge nice house and medium cars and no toys, no life, or a small great house with good cars and toys and a life??"
We choose private school and the later!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenbaby13 View Post
Well said, Anifani821!
There is a big difference b/n being a person who also happens to be wealthy. . . and being a person who does not know how to interact with others without cloaking himself in the accoutrements of wealth.

Competitive people associate one's earning power w/ one's value. At least, that is my observation. Every person has a story and something to contribute. Those who haven't figured that out are probably not very enjoyable to be around. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte