Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me some advice.

I've purchased a home that has a pool that has been neglected for I'd say about 3-5 years.

If I had some pics, I'd post them. Maybe I'll try and get some.

My questions:

1-Any advice on pool guys that would come to the Stanfield/Locust area to quote me on a repair job?
2-Any words of caution or experience that might help me in picking the right guy? (Any tell tale signs of what 'red flags' to look out for?)
3-Any thing that might help me in this process (chlorine, salt water, etc)?

I've never owned a pool before so the lingo and technology are completely new to me so any and all advice is welcome.

All I have right now is a mosquito farm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
This was originally in the NC main forum but since it didn't get any responses and since I thought maybe someone in the future could use the info, I moved it here and want to update what I've learned.

I called multiple pool companies in Charlotte and didn't like complacency of the businesses. It's been like pulling teeth to get pool guys interested in doing any work, and that is BEFORE they even know what I am needing. They haven't even talked to me about the actual job.

Two of them are going 'to call me back tomorrow' and that was last week, if ya know what I mean.

So anyway, I contacted Mike Smith with Stanly Pool and Spa out of Albemarle. So far, he has greatly exceeded my expectations.

I wanted to include some before pictures and will try and document the work as they progress.

Here's two pictures from opposite ends of the pool.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/forjerz/IMG_2623.jpg (broken link)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/forjerz/IMG_2627.jpg (broken link)

According to my pool guy, here's some of what I need:

Tear out and clean out of 'the swamp'
Resurface bottom of pool where freeze/thaw has damaged existing vermiculite.
Replace cracked and broken stairs.
Replace pool liner.
Replace all filter/pump equipment.
Pump timer with anti-freeze thermostat for winterization.
Pull equipment from area under the concrete decking to a small pad outside the edge of the patio.
Rework/wire all electrical including current light that isn't even on a GFCI.
Replace/repair existing ladder and handrail.
Convert pool from chlorine to salt water via an inline chlorine generator.
Purchase and install a 'Tiger Shark' pool cleaner (highly recommended that).

(I think that's pretty much everything)

Stanly Pool and Spa required a 50% deposit but so far have done exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it and have gone out of the way to save me money and give me advice.

He started Monday and told me last week he anticipated finishing in a week and certainly no longer than two. Currently, they are pretty much on schedule although the tearout of the old stairs took longer than anticipated.

I'll try and update as to progress, timing, and whether he comes in under or over his quoted budget. So far, I have added at least two things and he's told me he's going to be able to save me enough in other areas to provide the extras within the same original quote.

I'll keep you posted! (If anyone's interested)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte