Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM

230 posts, read 343,579 times

Advertisements

Family of 4 moving to Charlotte area maybe. Job is in Lincolnton. Would be open to living in the town itself, but somewhere else with commute less than 30 mins might be ok. Education is important to us (both primary and secondary), but if public schools are sub par in the area we would be fine with private school. A 4/3 or 4/4 for under 250k would be nice. Any suggestions? Gastonia seems sketchy, Belmont seems nicer, but how about other areas? Maybe something north or on the way to Asheville? Would like a short breakdown of surrounding areas if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 04:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Family of 4 moving to Charlotte area maybe. Job is in Lincolnton. Would be open to living in the town itself, but somewhere else with commute less than 30 mins might be ok. Education is important to us (both primary and secondary), but if public schools are sub par in the area we would be fine with private school. A 4/3 or 4/4 for under 250k would be nice. Any suggestions? Gastonia seems sketchy, Belmont seems nicer, but how about other areas? Maybe something north or on the way to Asheville? Would like a short breakdown of surrounding areas if possible.
I've heard that North Lincoln is a good high school. We used to have a poster who lived in that area, with a child in elementary school. She hated that school. She no longer posts, so that's that. If your job would be in the industrial park off 321, near the Catawba County line, look in Hickory.

If the job, is near the city of Lincolnton, look in Belmont, the SE quadrant of Gastonia, and Kings Mountain, on the Cleveland County side of the town.

Gastonia can be a mixed bag on several levels, including schools. There's good and bad. The SE quadrant is just as nice as the better areas of Charlotte.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:50 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,989 times
You should consider the Denver area as sounds like it might have what you are looking for. Good public schools in that part of the county.

Not sure about your housing budget, however.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've heard that North Lincoln is a good high school. We used to have a poster who lived in that area, with a child in elementary school. She hated that school. She no longer posts, so that's that. If your job would be in the industrial park off 321, near the Catawba County line, look in Hickory.

If the job, is near the city of Lincolnton, look in Belmont, the SE quadrant of Gastonia, and Kings Mountain, on the Cleveland County side of the town.

Gastonia can be a mixed bag on several levels, including schools. There's good and bad. The SE quadrant is just as nice as the better areas of Charlotte.
It looks to be south of Lincolnton off 150

Old 02-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It looks to be south of Lincolnton off 150
OK, then if I were you, I'd look at Cherryville and Kings Mountain.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 PM

615 posts, read 538,391 times
I guess the question is what type town do you want to live in? Do you want to be closer to Charlotte but not too far from Lincolnton? If so, consider Belmont. If living close to Charlotte is not important, consider Lincolnton or cherryville. Just be aware that Lincolnton and cherryville are small towns.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I guess the question is what type town do you want to live in? Do you want to be closer to Charlotte but not too far from Lincolnton? If so, consider Belmont. If living close to Charlotte is not important, consider Lincolnton or cherryville. Just be aware that Lincolnton and cherryville are small towns.
150 goes from Lincolnton to Cherryville to Shelby. I generally don't recommend Shelby for most people who are looking to move west of Charlotte. However, approximately at downtown Cherryville a north/south road intersects 150 that goes to Kings Mountain, which has better schools than Shelby and access to both 74 and I 85. As I always tell people who are looking for schools, they should keep to the Cleveland County side of Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain is roughly the size of Cherryville + Bessemer City. It's roughly the same size as Lincolnton, but with about 50% transplants.

After the 2010 census Kings Mountain and Belmont were very close in population. I expect there to be a larger difference this year. With the job location where it is, driving from Belmont would necessitate either driving to Kings Mountain, then going to Cherryville and east towards Lincolnton on 150, or going north on 321 to Lincolnton then driving through Lincolnton. I got lost in Lincolnton once, and it was not pleasant.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Being flown in for a final interview and visit coming up next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Not sure to be honest. I have family in South Charlotte and Winston-Salem and my wife has family in Greensboro, so we will have opportunities to experience what NC has to offer regardless. We were both originally from South FL which is about twice the size of Charlotte metro, but have been living in Iowa for past 6 yrs. I just want to live in an area where ppl aren't so simple and are more I'm tune with what's going on in the world. We both come from international families. Does that help?

I don't know anything about the small towns outside of Charlotte NC. Is it Appalachiaesque, more southern, or are the transplants present there too?

Oh yeah and an really good track and field club for my son would be nice too

Last edited by Juice Malone; 02-03-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Being flown in for a final interview and visit coming up next week.

Not sure to be honest. I have family in South Charlotte and Winston-Salem and my wife has family in Greensboro, so we will have opportunities to experience what NC has to offer regardless. We were both originally from South FL which is about twice the size of Charlotte metro, but have been living in Iowa for past 6 yrs. I just want to live in an area where ppl aren't so simple and are more I'm tune with what's going on in the world. We both come from international families. Does that help?

I don't know anything about the small towns outside of Charlotte NC. Is it Appalachiaesque, more southern, or are the transplants present there too?

Oh yeah and an really good track and field club for my son would be nice too
Well, Cherryville is sort of isolated, so you might want to drive around from Kings Mountain to Belmont and get out and experience the various places.

Check the high school websites for Kings Mountain HS, Ashbrook HS, (Gastonia) Stuart Cramer HS, (Cramerton) and Southpoint HS (in Belmont) these towns are all along US 74, and all have a fair number of transplants

Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, Cherryville is sort of isolated, so you might want to drive around from Kings Mountain to Belmont and get out and experience the various places.

Check the high school websites for Kings Mountain HS, Ashbrook HS, (Gastonia) Stuart Cramer HS, (Cramerton) and Southpoint HS (in Belmont) these towns are all along US 74, and all have a fair number of transplants
Thanks I think Gaston county might be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte