Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out if this person is not remembering the event well or if this is a place I just don't know about.

I met a woman in Columbia, SC. I told her where I lived (in Union County just south of Charlotte) and she said, "Oh, I have only ever been there once for a weekend camp when I was a teen. We went to an old plantation type house on a lot of land with a large stream running though it that you could actually take a raft out on to. We toured the house and then at night we sat around in the house and told ghost stories, sponsored by the hosts" (dossents maybe?)

I told her I had never heard of such a place but that it sounded very interesting.

Anyone know what she is talking about?

She said the house was available for touring.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Could she have been talking about Union Co, SC??? (Not that I know of any grand old homes there, either, but just wondering . . . )

Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 AM

Well, she may have been confused. She said "just south of Charlotte, in NC" but it could be that she really doesn't remember where it was.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Could she have been talking about Union Co, SC??? (Not that I know of any grand old homes there, either, but just wondering . . . )

Old 06-08-2008, 04:39 PM

392 posts, read 1,184,024 times
She may have been talking about Rose Hill Plantation, a well-known State Park, in Union County, SC. The Plantation property is within the Sumter National Forest and there is a nature trail that leads from the plantation down to the Tyger River. Could be the place she is talking about.

I have observed that some folks consider parts of SC as far south as Columbia to be "just south of Charlotte".

I've also observed that folks often get their Norths & Souths confused when it comes to the Carolinas.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 06-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 16,391 times
No, she could have been talking about somewhere in Union County close to Cane Creek outside of Waxhaw. There are so many places in Union County - that could have been a camp just like she described. I'll do some research

Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Let me know if you find out anything. Meanwhile, I will see if it was the Union County, SC local.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte