Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Charlotte and wanted some input about the downtown area of the city. Does it have charming shops and restaurants? What areas should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm planning a trip to Charlotte and wanted some input about the downtown area of the city. Does it have charming shops and restaurants? What areas should I avoid?
Well, we refer to it as "uptown" Charlotte

There are no areas to avoid, except the very outer fringes on the north and west. The center of uptown is very safe and has many nice places to visit. You could check out the Mint Museum of Craft and Design, attend a performance at the wonderful Blumenthal Performing Arts Center (great acoustics there) or have a good meal at places like Blue or the Capital Grill. Oh, plan to jump on the light rail for a ride to see the area south of uptown - there are galleries and shops in the Southend area you may want to check out.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
Charlotte is not like most cities where crime is more in the city...Uptown Charlotte is VERY safe. Lots of Police protection everywhere. Enjoy the city without fear...but never let your guard down no matter where you are in any city...it is 2008!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Don't go north of 9th street on foot and stay out of some parts First or Second Ward at nighttime. A lot of bums hang out College and Trade, but they're typically harmless. The area around BofA stadium can be rough at night, not a lot of activity. Just stick to N. Tryon street or the main corridors where there is lots of activity and you will be OK. There IS crime uptown, so do be careful.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Here's a site that has information on Uptown you may find helpful: ~NEW~ Charlotte Center City Partners

Old 05-16-2008, 02:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Don't go north of 9th street on foot and stay out of some parts First or Second Ward at nighttime. A lot of bums hang out College and Trade, but they're typically harmless. The area around BofA stadium can be rough at night, not a lot of activity. Just stick to N. Tryon street or the main corridors where there is lots of activity and you will be OK. There IS crime uptown, so do be careful.
There is some petty crime...but Uptown is pretty much crime free. Have lived in Uptown for years and roamd the streets at all hours and never had any problems. It is THE safest area of the entire city!

Police are on foot patrol, bike patrol & car patrol. Plus there are 3 Police station just Uptown. I main and 2 sub stations.

Very large Police presence Uptown at all hours.

Enjoy Uptown!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Not much shopping uptown, but plenty of restaurants, bars, and a few clubs. As 704 said, take the light rail or trolley to South End for art galleris, unique shops, Pric's Chicken Coop, Pike's Soda Shop and more. Charlotte's Historic South End, Discover, Celebrate, Live

Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)

Here's a look at recent crime in uptown. It's not all petty.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I have not moved down there yet, but I have visited a few times to look at the area. From what I observed I saw a lot of nice places to eat. As far as quaint and charming I did not see any of that. Remember I don't know the area well so maybe I missed something.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I have not moved down there yet, but I have visited a few times to look at the area. From what I observed I saw a lot of nice places to eat. As far as quaint and charming I did not see any of that. Remember I don't know the area well so maybe I missed something.
No, you didn't miss it. Like we said, you have to go to South End which is only 1-2 miles away from uptown and a quick trip on the Lynx or trolley C.A.T.S. and :: C H A R L O T T E T R O L L E Y ::

You can also go over by Plaza Midwood but that requires a bus or driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte