Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times

Advertisements

[http://friendsofweddington.org/]

Looks like everything is still tied up in court as the developer is suing the city. Let's pray it doesn't get overturned to this scumbag developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
I know all of this has been hashed and rehashed, but sometimes it requires repeating:

1. These types of private waste water (sewage) plants have gotten good reviews from several places around the country, but are still relatively new and in small numbers.
2. They are solely supported by the developer and the association dues of the neighborhood.
3. If, at some point, the neighborhood decides it can no longer support the system because of cost, the county would be in a terrible fix deciding how and when to take it over, or add the existing homes onto the county supported sewer system.
4. Union County has become a growth mecca because of the sewer capacity growth in the late 80's through the mid 90's. The soil makeup in Union County had been the biggest hurdle for growth because it cannot support private septic systems in the numbers that developers required at the time. A private treatment plant would be a mini Twelve Mile Creek wastewater plant, but at the mercy of the water table and the drainage/evaporation indexes. The amount of water required for the plant to operate successfully would be monumental. Where would that water come from? The ground supply water table which many of us in the surrounding county depend upon for our clean water supply.
Which brings me to another related issue! Residents in new neighborhoods that have county supplied water but drill wells for irrigation purposes only. I pay taxes to help support your county water supply even though I can't tap onto it, and then you a..holes drill wells and begin to deplete my natural water supply that many of us depend upon to live. You are the same people that walk into a public bathroom, and dirty it all up not caring about the next person that might use it because you're finished with it, the hell with the next guy/gal. ME, ME, ME mentality, the hell with the rest of us!

Yea, I know, Getatag, no more caffeine today and take a chill pill!

steps down off soap box and puts on the cuff to check blood pressure!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
You know, Tag, we may have gotten off to a bad start. I tend to agree with your water supply concerns and issues.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
You know, Tag, we may have gotten off to a bad start. I tend to agree with your water supply concerns and issues.
Aw, who could stay upset at Mettalica? Opinions and traffic violations are one thing, after all water is life giving and should be saved for washing cars, squirt gun fights on the hottest summer days, and complimenting good bourbon. PEACE Stevie!!!!

John

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Coming from FL, water resources are all too familiar with me. Folks in FL have no other option than to conserve and be on permanent indefinite restrictions (twice a week, before 10am and after 4pm). Most, if not all, of the water management districts down there have mandated reuse water implementation for irrigation in all municipalities where possible (which is pretty much anywhere with wastewater treatment plants) within the decade. At the current rate, they'll be sucking salt water sooner than that. And believe me, you DON'T want a water bill for water made at a desalinization plant.

As for here in NC, I was stunned at the outrage that folks expressed back in 07/08 when watering restrictions were issued. Since no one took heed, they went mandatory to NO watering. I fear that now that we're back in the green zone for rainfall amounts, folks will go right back to lazy habits...whether they're on well or city water. If we were to bring the development and sprawl to the Piedmont that Central Florida has seen over the last 10-20 years, we'd be screwed! The Catawba and Yadkin can only provide so much! And deep well drilling (the type needed for municipal supply: 1000-3000' deep) are horrendously expensive and not a guaranteed water source here...which makes it not a very feasible option. The only option is for folks to get water conscious and to eventually start trusting and accepting alternate water supplies for non-potable use (reuse/reclaim water for irrigation being the number one option).

But anyway...I digress...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Coming from So Cal I know plenty about being in drought conditions and conserving water. In CA they use reclaimed water in all the parks etc.

With the Woods development the builder could have built fewer homes with larger lots and used septic tanks, but they didn't want to do that. Now from what I had read regarding the Woods project, you were not allowed to mow or plant/garden in your yard, and you & pets were not allowed on the lawn for an hour or however long after watering. And of course all the issues regarding the pump station and the creek being so close. Just not convinced it's the right way to go. I did go to one of the town hall meetings and the guy representing the project just seemed a little too slimy.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM

I'll admit that the window of opportunity to convince folks that reclaim water is safe and no extraordinary precautions are needed is very slim...and it sounds like this developer missed the boat. It's a shame. Florida and other strained regions pass laws requiring the use of the water and other places go running and screaming in the other direction.

We'll revisit this discussion during our next drought...and if the wonderful interwebs lives as long, we'll visit again when Lake Norman dips to about 3' deep at seasonal high and we're all paying $100/gallon for potable water. Extreme, yes...but in a day where green is shoved in your face for so many far-fetched whacko ideas, the one that is right in front of our faces and could instantly thin our population out in a matter of months is ignored and subjected to stigmas. Not saying the developer's greed isn't as much to blame here...but folks need to learn when and where to direct their wariness about the validity of a green cause.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Waste water is sewage...the stuff that comes from your house.

To bad they can't pipe this stuff straight to your house!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 AM

I just read over the weekend that the city council has approved The Woods project as they have gone back to their original plan with building the homes with septic tanks. They said they just wanted to get the project going again.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM

11 posts, read 37,977 times
Yeah I heard the same thing. How close is the development going to be to the new preschool on Weddington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte