Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

29 posts, read 97,507 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone know anything about this? Will it hurt the neighborhood? Is it just talk, or is it going to happen?

Any thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM

158 posts, read 411,478 times
Can you elaborate on what you mean by down the road? That seems like it could be half a mile or 3 miles away. Also is waste water the same as sewage????? That's my big question

Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times
Waste water is sewage...the stuff that comes from your house.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM

55 posts, read 172,959 times
Default Re: Waste Water Treatment Plant

Some of you already know that I'm a resident of Lake Forest Preserve. It is true that a developer is pushing a new subdivision called the Woods - which includes a plan for a wastewater treatment plant. That's the bad news. The good news is that the Weddington Community is united around this issue in a very powerful way. I attended a meeting on Sunday afternoon for several hours that was standing room only (about this issue). The HOA in LFP has reached out to other neighborhoods - Aero Plantation, SkyCroft, Weddington Hills and several others. People are really galvanized around this issue. I don't want to say too much more in a public forum like this, but I will say that the local residents are committed to getting information out and moving swiftly to challenge this plant in a major way. I'm in the process of building a website now to centralize the information. We're cleaning up the content and plan to publicize the url in the very near future. It's also important to note that the planning committee for the town of Weddington voted recently to send a clear recommendation to reject the plant. (The Weddington town council will vote to decide the fate of the issue officially).

Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 AM

284 posts, read 605,997 times
Default Questions

Hi BJ,

As one who is now building in LFP, I'm concerned about this issue but I don't really understand it. How far away is the Woods going to be from LFP? I completely admit ignorance here when it comes to these wastewater treatment facilities. My understanding is that the Woods will be extremely high-end homes, between 1 and 3 million - I know this is a "duh" question here, but if there was truly going to be an issue with that wastewater facility and it's essentially going to be located right in/around the neighborhood, why would anyone build there? I'd take my three million to the Sanctuary or some other neighborhood like that. I know it's not a great argument (and reflects my admitted lack of understanding on the issue) to say "If people building expensive homes aren't going to worry about it, why should we worry about it", but that's my initial thought. Can you explain the issue further for us ignorant folks?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
Hi BJ,

As one who is now building in LFP, I'm concerned about this issue but I don't really understand it. How far away is the Woods going to be from LFP? I completely admit ignorance here when it comes to these wastewater treatment facilities. My understanding is that the Woods will be extremely high-end homes, between 1 and 3 million - I know this is a "duh" question here, but if there was truly going to be an issue with that wastewater facility and it's essentially going to be located right in/around the neighborhood, why would anyone build there? I'd take my three million to the Sanctuary or some other neighborhood like that. I know it's not a great argument (and reflects my admitted lack of understanding on the issue) to say "If people building expensive homes aren't going to worry about it, why should we worry about it", but that's my initial thought. Can you explain the issue further for us ignorant folks?
I'll see if I can help. The Woods will be directly accross from the entrance to Lake Forest Preserve. The sewage treatment plant (that's what it is regardless of what the developers say), is slated to be constructed right on HWY 84 about 50 yards north of the entrance to LFP, right before you get to AeroPlantation. This plant will be used to treat the sewage from The Woods development only. This "gray" water is not potable, but reportedly safe and will be used to irrigate the lawns of the development and the common areas. The plans have support from the Mayor and at least 1 council member in Weddington. Both have publicly stated that they favor this type of solution to UC's sewage capacity problems. The developer, which by the way cannot be clearly identified has said that he is willing to move the plant to the center of the development away from HWY 84. This might be what seals the deal. I know that there is a grassroots effort by several groups to stop the plant. The signs have already gone up in the HWY 84 corridor, petitions are circulating, meetings are scheduled etc. There's a pretty good blog (albeit one sided) that covers a lot of the issues in the Western section of the UC. Its a worthwhile read and gives you a good perspective as to how the system is supposed to work and many of the details that I don't really understand.

The Village Scribe Online » The Woods: Where no sewer plant needs to go

Hope this helps and good luck with your building at Lake Forest Preserve

Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times
Without knowing the details beyond what is posted above in this thread, it sounds like this plant will benefit the neighborhood and the region by reducing both sewage load on the local treatment plants, but also reducing the potable water consumption by recycling water for irrigating (one of THE biggest wastes of water in our country).

I'd suggest that instead of fighting the developer, get on board with the idea and require them to hide the plant with natural buffers so you never know it's there. Also, require modern equipment that eliminate any wafting odors from the plant.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 PM

284 posts, read 605,997 times
OK, reopening this thread after a long time here, but since this was defeated, does anyone know what will happen with that land at this point?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
OK, reopening this thread after a long time here, but since this was defeated, does anyone know what will happen with that land at this point?
The developer is filing suit against Weddington to get it overturned. It will be in the courts for a while.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 AM

169 posts, read 475,631 times
Any update on this? Has the developer continued to pursue this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte