Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 AM

22 posts, read 98,994 times

Advertisements

My husband and are are living on LI now but hoping to move to charlotte by the summer. He is looking for a job and as soon as he does we plan on moving. I am commuting 4 hours a day and now we have a baby on the way. I love LI but I dont see how we can buy a house and raise a child here without me continuing that 4 hour commute and thats not how we want to live. We have been to charlotte a few times and really liked what we saw. I think the hardest part will be living so far from family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
Another 60 seconds passed by before I found these. This is real difficult stuff...

Yup, taxes will be higher in NY, and so will salaries, raises on those salaries, and bonuses.

Last edited by Check123; 01-14-2007 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 AM

414 posts, read 1,380,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanF View Post
My husband and are are living on LI now but hoping to move to charlotte by the summer. He is looking for a job and as soon as he does we plan on moving. I am commuting 4 hours a day and now we have a baby on the way. I love LI but I dont see how we can buy a house and raise a child here without me continuing that 4 hour commute and thats not how we want to live. We have been to charlotte a few times and really liked what we saw. I think the hardest part will be living so far from family and friends.

its going to be hard to get a job before you live down their. Your best bet would be to move then look for a job. or at least have an nc address.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I know that house in Patchogue. If you want to be surrounded by non english speaking people, if you want to live ona postage stamp property, and in a terrible school district ; be my guest.
I used to live in Patchogue and still own a house there. That particular house ; you have to pay village taxes on also ; they run about $1700 per year. The high school was on a lockdown recently for over a week due to racial tension. The school district is not great at all.

Go ahead Rally ; buy that cheap house. You get what you pay for.
dorothy

Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Just to let you know that our house in Patchogue costs ; $4600 per year in town/county taxes PLUS $1700 in village taxes.
The house is 1200 sq foot on a lot that is 60x100.
So over $6300 in taxes for a house in a not so great school district is ok with you?? If you are in the market, I will sell you my house there. Its worth about $320,000 ; it needs work courtesy of the tenants.
Then our prsent house is almost $10,000 per year for 2400 sq ft and our school district is terrible. Do you want to buy this house? It will cost you just under $500,000 but the lot is 125 x 220.
Then another investment house is over $5500 in taxes. It also needs a little work.
Sure you can find cheap houses. But then the schools are awful, the corruption is rampant.
You never answered my question of where do you live?
dorothy

Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
If you're so upset by high taxes then why on Earth do you own three homes?

Sell all three homes, then buy one home in an area with decent schools. Or better yet, just sell one home, and send your kids to private school. It's obvious, if you own three homes then the cost of living isn't high. You've lost all credibility.

Last edited by Check123; 01-14-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMonkey View Post
If you're so upset by high taxes then why on Earth do you own three homes?

Sell all three homes, then buy one home in an area with decent schools. Or better yet, just sell one home, and send your kids to private school. It's obvious, if you own three homes then the cost of living isn't high. You've lost all credibility.
You're the one with no credibility RallyMonkey - you don't even live in NC and all you ever do is bash the people who want to.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe she wouldn't own these homes if there were people willing to buy them? Or maybe she inherited them - you don't know how or why she owns three homes and all that is not the point anyway. The point is something everyone has tried to explain to you several times - you just refuse to listen.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Lovesmountains, Thank you for your support.

Rally ; I own three homes as I am interested in real estate, I also would like to have an inheritance for my children and I would also like to ahve a retirement.
For your information, I would Love to sell all homes and move to NC for a better quality of life for my family and I. However, in todays market here, that just isnt possible.
My children DO go to private school, so the public school systems here get all of my money and I get none of the benefit ; oh I am sorry, the children do get bussed to school. My one son needs extra help but I have to fight for it tooth and nail.

While you seem to love to argue with people, at least I answer questions and give truthful information. You have been asked by me three times where you live ; I still havent had an answer to that one.

So before you slam us long islanders for wanting to leave the expensive middle class lifestyle that everyone seems to want, please make sure of your facts before you preach. I do not have expensive taste ; I drive a 4 year old car, dh drives a 7 year old car, we shop for clothes on the sales racks, we eat out maybe once a week. We both work 40-60 hours a week to pay our bills on time. But we like many other long islanders are tired of the rat race, tired of putting in long hours and just getting by.
dorothy

Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
I also wouldnt worry about the job thing, I would NOT move there without a job, my husband hasnt had any issue with him NOT living in Charlotte already, so I guess it depends on what you do for a living...and Rally loves is right, all I see you do is bash people for wanting to move to NC....apparenlty you are either ignorant or jealous..or both...and As far as salaries well that one is funny too, because the cut isnt alot either depending on what you do...and bonus's umm well unless you work in Securities or brokerage you arent getting a bonus to go write home to your mommy about...those days are over...and as alot of companies are moving out of NY and NJ they are finding other states to move to because its cheaper for them...what they save on rent and eveyrhting else they can afford to pay the right people a decent salary...umm im going to shut up now....

Staci

Old 01-14-2007, 04:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMonkey View Post
Apparently, it's not too expensive to live on Long Island; if you can afford THREE homes, and pay taxes on all three, all while sending your children to private school.

If you didn't want to pay the taxes then you shouldn't have gotten interested in real estate. You're like the person who buys a big truck then complains about the cost of gas.

Where I live has nothing to do with the conversation.
Why don't you just quit bothering people on this board? Maybe she can afford all these 3 properties but would prefer to be saving for her retirement instead of paying out the wazoo for this property she can't unload?

Where you live has EVERYTHING to do with this conversation. As I have said before, you do not live in NC so what exactly is your problem with people who do or wish to? It's like you have taken it personally or something that others have found a better, more affordable, life for themselves outside your neck of the woods. No one is raking you over the coals for living where you live and paying the ridiculous amounts of money in taxes people who live there pay - so quick bothering those on this board who prefer another lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte