Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Charlotte is cliquish. I can only speak for the in-town hangout spots....Uptown, NODA, SouthEnd.
Agree. I have lived in several cities/states over the past several years. Texas was the most friendly. Charlotte people are friendly but slow to bring you into their group. Long term relationships are hard to create after 25 it seems anyway. People get busy and more tenative and thats everywhere. I have many more acquantices here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
One thing is for sure, there are two different opinions on this Thread about North Carolina, Charlotte and the outter areas concerning "friendliness". Some say, "it's friendly", while others say, "yea, where???".
We don't go to Bars and very few restaurants (I cook a lot). As far as our age goes
(60), not everyone always feels great at this age. Shoot, after turning 57 and having two surgeries (hip replaced and rotor cup/shoulder), my bones/muscles do ache a lot more!! My wife has athsma and just can't stand to be around smoking/smokers and I don't like it either. For some people "age" is only a state-of-mind, while others "feel" the age and have to reduce activities. Unless you are 60+, you may not really understand these "aches and pains" we go thru and that some of us simply can not do the things we use to do 10-20 years ago.
We would love to meet/make some friends, but we do have certain things (how they act, interests are just a couple of things) that we look for in people to want them as friends. Yes, we are "picky", but we have that right. We don't have to be totally "open-minded" like we were always pressured to be when we lived for a few years in Southern California.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM

27 posts, read 120,314 times
You can always check out Go Social Club. They have all kinds of events on there calendar that caters to all types of people and age. ANd its free....
www.gosocialclub.com

Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,817 times
if you have neighbors, then you at least have that opportunity to make friends. well that's IF your neighbors are good ones invite some people on your street over for dessert and drinks one night.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Well there is a big difference between being friendly, which I believe Charlotte is and becoming friends. Getting invited into the inner sanctum of a group of friends is tough.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM

We live in an apartment. 99% of the people that live here either have kids or are up to 35 years younger than we are. Very little to talk about when there is an age difference like that.
We had the same age problem when we lived in a house in Colorado. Most of the folks in the housing development looked at us as their parents......due to our age of 60. Only two couples actually talked to us at all.
And, we are definitely "home bodies" during the week and we like it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
if you have neighbors, then you at least have that opportunity to make friends. well that's IF your neighbors are good ones invite some people on your street over for dessert and drinks one night.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We live in an apartment. 99% of the people that live here either have kids or are up to 35 years younger than we are. Very little to talk about when there is an age difference like that.
We had the same age problem when we lived in a house in Colorado. Most of the folks in the housing development looked at us as their parents......due to our age of 60. Only two couples actually talked to us at all.
You seem like a very pleasant guy, but I'm kind of confused. You seem to be distressed over not being able to meet people, but at the same time you say you're home bodies, are picky about who you hang out with, and limit yourself to where you like to frequent (whether it's medically driven or preference). You certainly have the right to be picky, but don't speak out the other side of your mouth saying how hard it is to meet people.

Having said all that, have you considered moving to an active adult community? I believe they are developing one off of Bailey Road, which is off of Hwy 115 in Cornelius. I think there is also one in Lake Wylie. This type of environment, which is strictly for what? 55 years and older?, would certainly fit your bill and their would be a plethora of people in your age group that you could make friends with.

What type of boat do you have? Maybe consider a sail boat as LKN often has regattas. Try checking out the Lake Norman Yacht Club for information on formal and informal regatta gatherings: Lake Norman Yacht Club

I really feel for you having such a tough time meeting people. Perhaps you do need to "open up" a bit to find what you are seeking, but if you want to be a home body, be a home body. I don't think you can have it both ways unless you find like-minded home bodies--but then again, how would you meet them?

Edit to Add: There's a 2-day Regatta planned for July 4th and looks like loads of fun! Check out this link: Lake Norman Yacht Club

Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
i hang out with my 60 year old neighbors all the time and i'm 27. we have plenty of fun together. you could always try moving to an area or apartment that tends to have older people. maybe you'll find more in common that way.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
The active adult community that Carolina Guy mentioned sounds like a really good idea. Maybe see if there are any rentals to see if it is something you like without making a long term commitment.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Yes, we are "home bodies" during the week. We are both fairly tired in the evenings. BUT, on the weekends we can/do get into an "active" mode. We love playing 1 on 1 Poker, downing a few beers and a shot or two and watching/listening to a Classic Rock DVD concert......all in the safety of our home. Don't go out to eat much; just gets too expensive. We also like target shooting with rifles. Wife is a darn good shot at her age! Don't have a boat right now (don't want a sailboat), but will be getting a small cabin cruiser sometime. And, since we don't like to hear much swearing, no smoking and no kids and not a lot of drinking, we are (have to be) choosy about who we make as friends.
The problem with the 55 plus communities is that we just aren't sure that they could keep up with us on the weekends. We got with a group like that from an old church we use to attend........a number of them acted more like they were 80 years old instead of 55 plus maybe 10 years (65). These church people thought we were WILD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You seem like a very pleasant guy, but I'm kind of confused. You seem to be distressed over not being able to meet people, but at the same time you say you're home bodies, are picky about who you hang out with, and limit yourself to where you like to frequent (whether it's medically driven or preference). You certainly have the right to be picky, but don't speak out the other side of your mouth saying how hard it is to meet people.

Having said all that, have you considered moving to an active adult community? I believe they are developing one off of Bailey Road, which is off of Hwy 115 in Cornelius. I think there is also one in Lake Wylie. This type of environment, which is strictly for what? 55 years and older?, would certainly fit your bill and their would be a plethora of people in your age group that you could make friends with.

What type of boat do you have? Maybe consider a sail boat as LKN often has regattas. Try checking out the Lake Norman Yacht Club for information on formal and informal regatta gatherings: Lake Norman Yacht Club

I really feel for you having such a tough time meeting people. Perhaps you do need to "open up" a bit to find what you are seeking, but if you want to be a home body, be a home body. I don't think you can have it both ways unless you find like-minded home bodies--but then again, how would you meet them?

Edit to Add: There's a 2-day Regatta planned for July 4th and looks like loads of fun! Check out this link: Lake Norman Yacht Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte