Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,444,132 times

Advertisements

Done. Yeah, the farmers loved ethanol because they are paid to grow more corn than we can use while people in Haiti are eating dirt, literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,870,834 times
Etahnol is actually a great alternative, if you use the right plant to produce it. It takes somewhere on the order of 850,000 gallons of fossil fuel to produce, transport and dispense each 1 million gallons of corn based ethanol. However, if you look at Brazil, and the use of sugar beets for ethanol production, you will find they are NEARLY independent of fossil fuel. I own a 2003 hybrid which uses E85 or gas- and ethanol in the local Charlotte market is only about 10 cents a gallon cheaper (last time I checked). The key, is that ethanol is also less efficient by 10%, which makes it actually more expensive to buy (for me).

Groove, I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with me about. I in no way argue that oil is our best solution- just the one we have, and the one that won't take at least 10 years to produce. Hydrogen fuel cells are awesome, but I bet we are at least 10 and more likely 20 years away from them being commercially available (and affordable by today's standard). Battery operated cars are probably our next soonest available tecjnology. I've recently read that Chevy will have an electric car, capable of over 500 mile range, available and in production by 2010.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,956,523 times
So will Nissan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/bu...uto.html?fta=y

Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,502,727 times
Gas prices scare me. I have researched other options for commuting to/from work, and I can't seem to figure out a better option than driving my car.

I thought about buying a bicycle, but with temps in the upper 90s and no access to a shower at my office building, that just isn't too appealing.

I thought about riding the bus. It would take me two transfers and over an hour to get to work, when the drive takes me 25 minutes tops.

I don't live near the light rail.

Is anyone interested in carpooling from Providence/Fairview to Tyvola at 77? What other options are out there? There must be something I am not thinking of!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM

825 posts, read 2,822,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
if the speculators would just shut up the prices would remain stable. Its these morons on Wall Street that keep talking all this nonsense that drives the prices.

And how is it when it drops 5-6 dollars a barrel the prices at the pump do not reflect this.

Drill in Alaska, heck just take some equipment over there and watch the prices come down. America is to politically correct for its own good sometimes.

....steps of soap box!

Speculation and oil prices don't seem to correlate. What the speculators buy is paper contracts on what the price of oil might be in the future and they sell the paper contract back onto the market. It doesn't affect the amount of oil that's physically available in the ground or placed into barrels. They aren't hoarding away barrels of oil somewhere. Inventories of oil aren't high to begin with because demand is so high.

Finding oil is expensive and anyone who drills for oil is not hard up for work because there are so many people that want it. The search for scapegoats will continue by the public and politicians.

Last edited by muffinman; 06-09-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
I heard on CNN this morning that it should already be at $5/gal b/c of the price/barrel oil. So I am expecting it to jump to at least $4.50 in the next 3 weeks. Hope I am wrong. It will hit $6 by this Fall at the rate we are going. Thank the stock market and speculators. If you all own Exxon stock, then you should be happy. Otherwise, we are all just screwed.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Speculation and oil prices don't seem to correlate. What the speculators buy is paper contracts and it doesn't affect the amount of oil that's physically availble. Supply and demand is the name of the game.

I understand that but it is the specualtors that run up the price per barrel.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Speculation and oil prices don't seem to correlate. What the speculators buy is paper contracts and it doesn't affect the amount of oil that's physically availble. Supply and demand is the name of the game.
People think OPEC is setting the price of gas, but that is not entirely true. The stock market is affecting the price of gas. It is a commodity - and the stock market is "bidding" on it.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Gas prices scare me. I have researched other options for commuting to/from work, and I can't seem to figure out a better option than driving my car.

I thought about buying a bicycle, but with temps in the upper 90s and no access to a shower at my office building, that just isn't too appealing.

I thought about riding the bus. It would take me two transfers and over an hour to get to work, when the drive takes me 25 minutes tops.

I don't live near the light rail.

Is anyone interested in carpooling from Providence/Fairview to Tyvola at 77? What other options are out there? There must be something I am not thinking of!
There should be a website for carpooling match ups. Does anyone know of such a website? Want me to start one????

Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank the stock market and speculators. If you all own Exxon stock, then you should be happy.
While I agree with most of what you said the problem with the part I quoted is that people like you and I that have this in our 401k still feel the squeeze even though our retirement fund is growing at a decent rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte