Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM

57 posts, read 221,094 times

Advertisements

We have the technology to drill offshore safely.

Do you think the chinese are safeguarding their slant drilling in the florida straits.

The aren't going to drill in the surf. They'll be 30 miles offshore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmikesell View Post
We have the technology to drill offshore safely.

Do you think the chinese are safeguarding their slant drilling in the florida straits.

The aren't going to drill in the surf. They'll be 30 miles offshore.
Is that visible from shore? I mean - maybe as a little speck?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is that visible from shore? I mean - maybe as a little speck?
I would reconsider oil rigs off our coast if they didnt provide hazard to the dolphin , shark, and whale population off our coast and the oil was solely used for the usa.

Pictures of oil rigs from land
http://www.epa.gov/gmpo/pubinfo/imag...-rigs-full.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/o6/92/793592/1/83...dp.oilrigs.jpg
look how they dot the landscape in the gulf
http://standeyo.com/NEWS/06_Earth_Ch...14.oilrigs.jpg

Thirty to fifty miles off shore is not that far instead of looking at the roundness of the ocean "end" you will be looking at these dot down the shoreline and again the oil will not be used just for us.
I am waiting on to drive one of these
http://media.canada.com/6c8714d8-471...8f/jetsons.jpg

Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM

78 posts, read 233,860 times
The Shell/Circle K on Prosperity Church Road is at $3.89 reg u/l. BUT, about 3 of the pumps were closed? wonder why?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Anybody find it an odd coincidence that the gas prices starting going way up as soon as the govt announced the "economic stimulus" plan?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I try to make a run to the border when I get a chance and if I will be heading into south Charlotte due to it cheaper gas tax. I paid 3.81 off Carowinds Blvd and I try to take a notion to do other buying while I am there since they have lower sales tax.

It can be 15 to 20 cents cheaper than the shell monopoly (except for cashions and BP) has on Huntersville

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would reconsider oil rigs off our coast if they didnt provide hazard to the dolphin , shark, and whale population off our coast and the oil was solely used for the usa.

Pictures of oil rigs from land
http://www.epa.gov/gmpo/pubinfo/imag...-rigs-full.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/o6/92/793592/1/83...dp.oilrigs.jpg
look how they dot the landscape in the gulf
http://standeyo.com/NEWS/06_Earth_Ch...14.oilrigs.jpg

Thirty to fifty miles off shore is not that far instead of looking at the roundness of the ocean "end" you will be looking at these dot down the shoreline and again the oil will not be used just for us.
I am waiting on to drive one of these
http://media.canada.com/6c8714d8-471...8f/jetsons.jpg
It just seems awful to me - that other countries come that close to our shoreline and drill for a commodity that we could use . . . and they don't give a flit about the sea creatures. Meanwhile, we have a social conscience and respect for dolphins and whales, so we don't drill. Others are, so the damage is being done without us. It just seems really really screwy, you know what I mean???? We are trying to protect the environment but others aren't . . . so what is that all about . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 06-09-2008 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ethanol is a false economy, driving up the cost of basic food items, producing a low yield fuel (20 - 25% less efficient) and requiring huge amounts of fresh water to produce, approximately 1700 gallons of fresh water is required to make one gallon of Ethanol.

The 'unintended consequences' is to raise the prices of many products, food and non-food. It will also result in food shortages in other parts of the world and hardships for the poor here as farmers are cashing in, and not planting food crops, many of which are exported in huge quantities.

It is an ill conceived government initiated disaster with little benefit
At the risk of offending, I am going to suggest that your sources of information on ethanol production not be limited to what you hear on NPR. Attached, you will find a link to information on the Brazilian ethanol program, which is the type of system I was advocating- not the corn based system we have now. As for your 1700 gallons of water to yield 1 gallon of ethanol argument- show me credible proof of that, and I'll eat my hat! Ethanol fuel in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
At the risk of offending, I am going to suggest that your sources of information on ethanol production not be limited to what you hear on NPR. Attached, you will find a link to information on the Brazilian ethanol program, which is the type of system I was advocating- not the corn based system we have now. As for your 1700 gallons of water to yield 1 gallon of ethanol argument- show me credible proof of that, and I'll eat my hat! Ethanol fuel in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, you are not offending. I don't understand why we are not doing the same type of fuel as Brazil. I don't get it. Why did we choose corn? Just strange - after all - Brazil has been researching and perfecting for several decades. Why didn't we just follow their production model????

Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Also at the risk of offending, I'm going to suggest your sources not be limited to Wikipedia. It works fine for some things, I'll agree, but perhaps a post like this topic has more weight when a Wiki isn't the only information cited. I'd be interested in learning more about Brazil's program but, after all, anybody can edit a Wiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte