Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times

Advertisements

Maybe I wasn't from that part of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Maybe I wasn't from that part of NY.
I think it could apply to any area of NY, but I hear it used most often in that way by people from the city.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
My wife uses "kiss ma grits" all the time, but I've never seen the insult in that? And in all seriousness, 99% of the time you BYH, it really is just a phrase and I don't think people should give it must thought. The giver is likely being sarcastic or sympathetic, so who cares? I wouldn't get sensitive over it...

Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,322,293 times
I had friends from Pittsburgh who used the phrase, "God love him" a lot. If you've used that phrase, I think "bless your heart" is comparable.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times
Not all areas in NY are the same. I think Brooklyn/SI are their own planet and are totally different from Manhattan which is worlds different from Queens.

I think "Forget about it" is mostly used in the Brooklyn/SI or Downtown Manhattan area and I've never heard it being used scarcastically.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 PM

264 posts, read 918,526 times
I think it's usually a euphemism for "you're pathetic." Or maybe "you're beyond hope." My Southern friend says it about her own child, because he looks like her husband. The husband is not a great looking guy. As in "Yes, W looks like Doug. Bless his heart, we all need to pray for him." So it can be a good-natured ribbing, too. It's all in the delivery and the context.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,495 times
In my experience Bless your heart has always meant to convey sorry you are going through that or I'm sorry that's happenning to you. I have never experienced a negative from this phrase. My Great Aunt used to say it all the time. It was really sweet.

Dunroven

Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
I think it's usually a euphemism for "you're pathetic." Or maybe "you're beyond hope." My Southern friend says it about her own child, because he looks like her husband. The husband is not a great looking guy. As in "Yes, W looks like Doug. Bless his heart, we all need to pray for him." So it can be a good-natured ribbing, too. It's all in the delivery and the context.
That has to be the worst way I have ever heard of the phrase being used.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 AM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
It's not what Southerners say as much as how they say it; listen to their tone of voice, and look into their eyes. If you listen and observe, pretty soon you will understand.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM

91 posts, read 356,686 times
I have heard this expression my entire life. In MOST contexts, it is an expression used for consoling, empathizing, showing genuine concern, expressing sorrow or, in some cases, a declaration of shock.
"She didn't get to come to lunch with us because she has the flu...bless her heart."
After seeing something awful that happened to someone on the news, or hearing of a bad situation or tragedy from someone else, whether or not you even knew the person: "Oh my goodness...bless her/his heart!"
To use it in the negative sense, this would be a good example:
(Said with mock disappointment to someone you don't care for and really didn't want to see):
"Oh, you didn't get to go on the company cruise because your back was out...well, bless your heart." (This is a Southern passive-aggressive "jab" said by genteel ladies who were taught not to show anger or "ugly" behavior, but feel the need to express it somehow. It allows them to say "mean" things with a safety net because if the other person should ever "call them out on it" they can say:
1) You must have a problem.
2) You misunderstood.
3) It was a joke.

LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte