Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

It is a long story so I won't even get into it, except to say I have been very happy w/ AT&T LD on my home phones . . . until the New AT&T called me and told me they could give me a bundled deal cheaper than the OLD AT&T, at which time I switched over (FEB) and every month since, I have received a bill from the NEW AT&T and another bill from the OLD AT&T. Every month I have called; every month get told the same thing - they will fix it. Got the new bill today. The same DANG thing - billed twice!!!!!

So frankly, I am ready to just say - forget this bundled deal and - just cancel it and find another carrier.

But you know . . . I have had AT&T for six years now and I don't even know what my choices are any more.

Anyone have any suggestions?????

Last edited by brokensky; 06-12-2008 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: changed word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Verizon Voicewing all inclusive, one rate: $24.99. It's VOIP.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Verizon Voicewing all inclusive, one rate: $24.99. It's VOIP.
Can you call 911 using that service - and they can trace it to your house? Don't laugh but for some reason I thought they couldn't using VOIP.

And does that include DSL? Sorry I am so ignorant about this.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-12-2008 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 06-12-2008, 07:24 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is a long story so I won't even get into it, except to say I have been very happy w/ AT&T LD on my home phones . . . until the New AT&T called me and told me they could give me a bundled deal cheaper than the OLD AT&T, at which time I switched over (FEB) and every month since, I have received a bill from the NEW AT&T and another bill from the OLD AT&T. Every month I have called; every month get told the same thing - they will fix it. Got the new bill today. The same DANG thing - billed twice!!!!!

So frankly, I am ready to just say - forget this bundled deal and - just cancel it and find another carrier.

But you know . . . I have had AT&T for six years now and I don't even know what my choices are any more.

Anyone have any suggestions?????
Hi Ani

Since we have moved I am using my cell phone for all calls. It is with Verizon and this has worked out really well. I don't have DSL though so I will be interested in a method to have good phone and DSL.

So thanks for the thread it will be very useful!! See you in a few,

Dunroven

Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 PM

I am glad I am not the only person who is wondering about all this! We have to have one line dedicated to a fax machine and another line for phone calls. Then we have 2 cells as well. W/ both of us working from home, it can get really crazy w/ phones and faxes here. I had a GREAT DEAL w/ AT&T . . . until they messed me up. I was very happy. Now, it takes over an hour every month when we call - trying to get this straightened out. You would not believe the runaround we get. We call the "old AT&T" number and they say - NOPE - they can't help us . . . then they send us to the "NEW AT&T" number and they say - NOPE - the second charges are from the OLD AT&T - you will have to talk to them. And every month we say - yeah we know, but the menu automatically sends us back here, blah blah blah. It is maddening. And not only that - they refused to refund the charges for the first two months. Never could figure that out - we called both times. And even when they credit the charges, they only credit the BASE charges, and NOT all those tacked on fees and taxes!!! So even tho they supposedly CREDIT it, we are still paying additional fees every month. Plus when we withheld payment (just for that portion of the bill) they threatened to cut our phone service off. It is INSANE. And we are just worn out. I may write Action 9 and see if they will take the case. I handed the previous bill to DH and said - YOU TRY IT THIS TIME. He was on the phone for over an hour and ready to throw the phone out the window by the time he finally got some SUPPOSED HELP!!! <grinding teeth> Then the bill comes today and he opened it and I hear him yell (and he is not a yeller) "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!" and sure enuff - there were the charges again . . . and a credit for last month . . . but only for the base charge, HEE HEE HEE. Absurd!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Can you call 911 using that service - and they can trace it to your house? Don't laugh but for some reason I thought they couldn't using VOIP.

And does that include DSL? Sorry I am so ignorant about this.
That is a prerequisite before obtaining VOIP. If 911 access is not available through VOIP, then you can't get it. We had to wait several months before getting it in our house because of the newness of the neighborhood and the infrastructure for 911 service was not set up yet.

I think Verizon is using the lightning speed fiber optic system (FIOS), so not sure about DSL. We have to use MI-Connection b/c we don't have the FIOS infrastructure yet.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
We've had Vonage for two years, and I absolutely love it! We used to carry AT&T local, because we had to for DSL, but now that they offer stand alone DSL, we've dumped all their other services. Vonage is $24.99/mo, they're running a special on second lines right now too- believe 9.99 for the first 3 months. I'm pretty sure they screen for 911 availability in the ordering. If you're interested, I can Email you an invitation that gets you 2 months free. Good luck with the search!

Last edited by Hoagie58; 06-12-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I am glad I am not the only person who is wondering about all this! We have to have one line dedicated to a fax machine and another line for phone calls. Then we have 2 cells as well. W/ both of us working from home, it can get really crazy w/ phones and faxes here. I had a GREAT DEAL w/ AT&T . . . until they messed me up. I was very happy. Now, it takes over an hour every month when we call - trying to get this straightened out. You would not believe the runaround we get. We call the "old AT&T" number and they say - NOPE - they can't help us . . . then they send us to the "NEW AT&T" number and they say - NOPE - the second charges are from the OLD AT&T - you will have to talk to them. And every month we say - yeah we know, but the menu automatically sends us back here, blah blah blah. It is maddening. And not only that - they refused to refund the charges for the first two months. Never could figure that out - we called both times. And even when they credit the charges, they only credit the BASE charges, and NOT all those tacked on fees and taxes!!! So even tho they supposedly CREDIT it, we are still paying additional fees every month. Plus when we withheld payment (just for that portion of the bill) they threatened to cut our phone service off. It is INSANE. And we are just worn out. I may write Action 9 and see if they will take the case. I handed the previous bill to DH and said - YOU TRY IT THIS TIME. He was on the phone for over an hour and ready to throw the phone out the window by the time he finally got some SUPPOSED HELP!!! <grinding teeth> Then the bill comes today and he opened it and I hear him yell (and he is not a yeller) "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!" and sure enuff - there were the charges again . . . and a credit for last month . . . but only for the base charge, HEE HEE HEE. Absurd!!!!
Ani, go to a TV station & have them get your money & straighten it out. then contact Verizon.

Verizon has always been my phone company back to before deregulation, through many name changes. When I get a moving date I'm going to check with them to see if I can have Verizon service in NC.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
That is a prerequisite before obtaining VOIP. If 911 access is not available through VOIP, then you can't get it. We had to wait several months before getting it in our house because of the newness of the neighborhood and the infrastructure for 911 service was not set up yet.

I think Verizon is using the lightning speed fiber optic system (FIOS), so not sure about DSL. We have to use MI-Connection b/c we don't have the FIOS infrastructure yet.
Carolina_Guy, FiOS is going in where I am & DSL rates have plumetted. Are they running ads for FiOS on TV?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:

carolina_guy - From your lips to God's ears that Fios gets here. You can go on Verizon's web site and see if Fios is available.

Verizon | FiOS Internet (http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS/ - broken link)

I think it will be awhile before NC gets it though. The day it becomes available, I'll kiss Time-Warner goodbye! I use them for TV and internet but I have Vonage for phone service. Their 911 setup works fine for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte