Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
berry - You're too hard on Brooklyn! Camden NJ would make Brooklyn look like the Hamptons!
Very true my freind..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM

338 posts, read 897,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Umm hellhole would be brooklyn NY where I grew up...sorry Waxhaw will never be like that....
You must not have been back to Brooklyn in a while. It's beautiful. If I had a few million dollars, I would have bought in Brooklyn and not come to Charlotte.

PS: You're right -- Waxhaw will never be like Brooklyn. It's a shame for Waxhaw.
PPS: Notwithstanding its lack of culture, history and great urban environment, I think Waxhaw is nice.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
You must not have been back to Brooklyn in a while. It's beautiful. If I had a few million dollars, I would have bought in Brooklyn and not come to Charlotte.

PS: You're right -- Waxhaw will never be like Brooklyn. It's a shame for Waxhaw.
PPS: Notwithstanding its lack of culture, history and great urban environment, I think Waxhaw is nice.

considering I grew up in a different part of brooklyn, only the rich people lived in brownstones...we grew up in apartment buildings and it was great growing up but it wasnt a town like waxhaw, and brooklyn was dirty and well family just left brooklyn 4 yrs ago, and my sister lives in Staten Island is in brooklyn all the time as we have family there...so sorry but I have to disagree with you...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post

Ahh - Rumpole of the Bailey - thanks for the great picture!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Ahh - Rumpole of the Bailey - thanks for the great picture!
Exactly brooklyn doesnt look like this at least most of it...beautiful pic though

and im sure its in the yuppie areas that they have redone....Sorry I know this is off topic...

again you cant compare a city to a suburb..which waxhaw is...its a town...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Exactly brooklyn doesnt look like this at least most of it...beautiful pic though

and im sure its in the yuppie areas that they have redone....Sorry I know this is off topic...

again you cant compare a city to a suburb..which waxhaw is...its a town...
berry - I strongly suspect those brownstones don't start at $299,995! LOL

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For a city...but Waxhaw was equally beautiful in her day before the traffic became so dense and new McMansions replaced all the lovely farmers fields.

See, I get what SamMillsfan was saying - though he could have said it better. Waxhaw is NOT a hellhole - it is a wonderful community. But for those of us here long-term that remember it as the most sleepy little bucolic town around, we are horrified to see its transformation. Glad so many of you are enjoying the way it is now - but frankly, I preferred it before "progress" found it.
You're right on target, Loves. I remember with fondness afternoons spent in Waxhaw when it was a bucolic little town. And the ride out there past farms with horses grazing in the fields was such a pleasure. I too bemoan the transformation.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
berry - You're too hard on Brooklyn! Camden NJ would make Brooklyn look like the Hamptons!
Amen

Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
I don't think the traffic on Providence is that bad once you get below Rea Rd. The trouble starts again just before you get to the town of Waxhaw. I think you could widen Providence all the way into Waxhaw and it would not make a difference. You would still have to deal with the tee intersection and the traffic light.

Also, look at the bright side, the sprawl may have saved Waxhaw from becoming a dried up town with empty store fronts.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
I was very concerned about the traffic on Providence Rd. before I moved here, but frankly I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. That being said though, I do think it would be nice if they widened the road further down south. Yes, the construction is not the most pleasant thing to drive through, especially when we are on water restrictions and my car looks filthy all the time. I guess it is evident from replies on this post that most people do not consider Waxhaw to be anything remotely close to a hellhole.

You know when I moved here, it was a hard adjustment for me getting used to how rural it was and how far I had to drive to get to retail areas. I never pictured myself living in a town like this. I knew they would be building like crazy here, and it would only be a matter of time before more shopping was closeby. Now that they are building, it makes me a little sad. I have grown used to living more "rural" and I would hate to see this town overdevelop like the city I came from.

One other thing, does the term McMansion offend anyone here? I see people use this term quite often to describe homes in Waxhaw or Union County. First off, not all homes are McMansions. Second of all, what is wrong with a large home? Mcmansion just has such a negative connotation to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte