Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times

Advertisements

Yes it is Girl,but it has its "cons" as well. And the people who so talked up Tega to us non stop were from Oregon as well.They think Charlotte is thee best--so-- different strokes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM

132 posts, read 471,667 times
Thank you all so much for your responses so far! I am thrilled with this board and the honest opinions that are here.

We're definitely going to do some heavy research into York County. It's funny because we lived in Charlotte for 10 years before we moved here to Atlanta (you want to talk about traffic, congestion and strip malls haha!) but Ft Mill was just beginning to get people interested in it then...if we knew we would be transferred back there are some specific investments we could have made

We're planning another trip to the Charlotte area very soon. We KNOW Charlotte is where we want to be, we just don't know WHERE in the area!! Fortunately my husband has a job that allows us to live wherever in the city...no commute!

Now if we can just sell this house....

Anita

Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,742 times
I've heard a few opinions and a few rumors, but am curious what the concensus is on Regent Park area of Fort Mill? Has the PTL funk come off that community yet - or is it still a polarizing place?

One of my top builder choices is building in an area around Regent Park for prices starting in the mid $400's, but I'd love to hear what you all think. I haven't seen the area yet and don't (yet) live in the Charlotte area so I can't run right down there and check it out myself.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Samohtal - Regent Park is nice and I think PTL is a long distant memory at this point (it was 15-20 years ago!!!). We thought about purchasing in there but we just didn't see "the" house during our search. But it's a nice development and is a quick drive to I-77 for commuting purposes.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
I've heard a few opinions and a few rumors, but am curious what the concensus is on Regent Park area of Fort Mill? Has the PTL funk come off that community yet - or is it still a polarizing place?

One of my top builder choices is building in an area around Regent Park for prices starting in the mid $400's, but I'd love to hear what you all think. I haven't seen the area yet and don't (yet) live in the Charlotte area so I can't run right down there and check it out myself.

Since it has been called Regent Park for years now I don't think many people associate it with PTL anymore, and it is definitely not a polarizing place for that defunct ministry at all. It is a nice, quiet area with easy access to the interstate. I say it is worth a look-see

Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 AM

139 posts, read 360,004 times
Default Builders

I've read several posts about cheap construction in the newer areas. Can you name some builders that just 'throw the houses up'? I am not in a 'custom home' price range, and will probably purchase a 'cookie cutter' in an established community or an older home (no new construction hassles for me, been there, done that). We have some of the biggest national builders here in Phoenix and I wouldn't want a home built by DR Horton or KB Homes (I don't think KB builds there, thank goodness). Any help you can provide will be appreciated! Any small local builders that have built good stuff? What about the older stuff in Ft. Mill & Tega Cay? (I found a 1941 cutie in Ft. Mill, althought the internet doesn't show much about the surrounding area

What type of plumbing are they putting in these homes? Up until 2005, most of the builders here (Arizona) were using copper. They've recently switched to a new plastic type called 'Aquapex'. It hasn't been around long enough to find out whether it's good stuff or not.

Thanks again for all the info, you're saving me tons of time!! When we finally get there we will only have 4-5 days to select our home, so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before we arrive.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Samohtal - Regent Park is nice and I think PTL is a long distant memory at this point (it was 15-20 years ago!!!). We thought about purchasing in there but we just didn't see "the" house during our search. But it's a nice development and is a quick drive to I-77 for commuting purposes.
Mornin all-well, Samohtal already knows what my opinion is in regard to Regent Park is...as he sent me a PM to which I responded to.

Regent park is very impressive looking from the outside. While PTL (Heritage USA) has been gone in name for many years...it still has a following. I could say more...but I'll just leave it at that.

Now within the grounds of Regent Park is a new ministries called MorningStar. Last year they had a guest speaker: Jim Bakker (sorry but this bothers me).

Another red flag for me would be...their HOA management company. There have been numerous newspaper articles in the past about the folks that live within Regent Park not being pleased with their HOA. Last I read was that the HOA management company owes money to the IRS and nows risks some of the very ammenities that makes the grounds so appealing (i.e. golf course).

This is a small town...the longer your here...the more you find out

http://www.rebic.com/library/South%2...2010-11-06.pdf

Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM

139 posts, read 360,004 times
Default Builders

Sorry - there is a thread for builder reps, I'll skip over there!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
lovesthecarolinas - PTL still has a following in FM? That's surprising to me. I *did* know about MorningStar being in the old studio - didn't know they had Jim Bakker speak there!

And now that you mention the Regent Park HOA - I do remember reading about that trouble when we first moved here - I wonder if that's another one of the reasons we opted not to buy in that development when we didn't find "the" house there?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
lovesthecarolinas - PTL still has a following in FM? That's surprising to me. I *did* know about MorningStar being in the old studio - didn't know they had Jim Bakker speak there!

And now that you mention the Regent Park HOA - I do remember reading about that trouble when we first moved here - I wonder if that's another one of the reasons we opted not to buy in that development when we didn't find "the" house there?
Many within MorningStar are former members of PTL. Many residents that resided within the grounds of Heritage USA never left.

After Jim Bakker's jail time...who did he happen to work with for awhile: Rick Joyner (MorningStar).

http://him.morningstarministries.org/history.htm (broken link)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeritageUSA/

http://www.speroforum.com/site/print.asp?idarticle=1787

http://www.mmiblog.com/monday_morning_insight_we/2006/01/jim_bakker_retu.html (broken link)

May not bother some...but it sure bothers the heck out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte