Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
You can buy a radio that works in your current car pretty cheap. It also is portable and plugs into a home stereo. If you do get XM, cancel it after the initial trial cost and they will lower the cost A LOT.
I have the XM Roady2, but in order for it to work in my car I have to go through the FM Modulator. (Its a company car - so I can't pay to have it hardwired in). I'll be getting a new company car in the fall - which will likely come standard with either XM or Sirius.

As for cancelling and getting a better deal ... care to fill us in? I had been an XM subscriber for three years, but let my subscription lapse a month ago since I only listened when I was home. They sent me emails and letters asking to "come back", but there wasn't any pricing incentive in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM

529 posts, read 1,979,372 times
Call them back and they will offer you one price, turn it down and it will lower to below 7 dollars.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 10,874 times
As for Charlotte ESPN radio... I like to call the local show before the Herd... "redneck radio" for the "good ole' boys". It's barely audible... can't make out half of what they say and their southern ACC/SEC bias is a bit much... try travelling outside of the south to play a game (props to tennessee for actually doing this)... Yes, Mike & Mike is a better product no doubt. Instead you are forced to listen to these local guys talk about the Bobcats?!? Express how flabergasted they are that TV announcers mispronounced "winthrop" win-throp in march madness... nobody cares! Terrible product, M&M would be so much better. Instead we are all left hoping and waiting for these local homers to go on vacation.

as for the OSU comments... tOSU has not performed well in the last 4 years... so they are open for getting ripped on... especially after losing to Purdon't and USC (at home against a freshman QB!). I think most athletic directors in the country would probably sell their children to have Jimmy T as their head coach (unless they have coaches named Brown, Meyer, Carroll, Stoops, Miles, or Saban). OSU is inarguably still one of a select few premiere programs in the country... but for now, they will have to lick their wounds with the likes of "big game bob" stoops and his underachieving Sooners, and pete carroll for his yearly loss to an unranked team (seriously what the heck).

The rest of the country and I... are just looking forward to the Meyer Tebow honeymoon being over and life to get back to normal in college football... congrats on your national championships.

final thought... I think the rest of the country would like to see SEC try to travel out of their time zone for an OOC game. Maybe a PAC-10, BIG 12, or BIG 10 would like to play you on their turf... instead of travelling to your home state everytime. The country would have an easier time accepting the SEC conference's dominance if some of their big-time OOC wins came from regular season games in Penn State, Texas, Oregon, the colesium, The Big House, tOSU, etc.

(yes i do realize UF beat OSU in Arizona, exception to the rule).

Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruegerw17 View Post
As for Charlotte ESPN radio... I like to call the local show before the Herd... "redneck radio" for the "good ole' boys". It's barely audible... can't make out half of what they say and their southern ACC/SEC bias is a bit much... try travelling outside of the south to play a game (props to tennessee for actually doing this)... Yes, Mike & Mike is a better product no doubt. Instead you are forced to listen to these local guys talk about the Bobcats?!? Express how flabergasted they are that TV announcers mispronounced "winthrop" win-throp in march madness... nobody cares! Terrible product, M&M would be so much better. Instead we are all left hoping and waiting for these local homers to go on vacation.

as for the OSU comments... tOSU has not performed well in the last 4 years... so they are open for getting ripped on... especially after losing to Purdon't and USC (at home against a freshman QB!). I think most athletic directors in the country would probably sell their children to have Jimmy T as their head coach (unless they have coaches named Brown, Meyer, Carroll, Stoops, Miles, or Saban). OSU is inarguably still one of a select few premiere programs in the country... but for now, they will have to lick their wounds with the likes of "big game bob" stoops and his underachieving Sooners, and pete carroll for his yearly loss to an unranked team (seriously what the heck).

The rest of the country and I... are just looking forward to the Meyer Tebow honeymoon being over and life to get back to normal in college football... congrats on your national championships.

final thought... I think the rest of the country would like to see SEC try to travel out of their time zone for an OOC game. Maybe a PAC-10, BIG 12, or BIG 10 would like to play you on their turf... instead of travelling to your home state everytime. The country would have an easier time accepting the SEC conference's dominance if some of their big-time OOC wins came from regular season games in Penn State, Texas, Oregon, the colesium, The Big House, tOSU, etc.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the talk radio here. Yes, it could be better, but Mike & Mike are awful IMO (just like everything affiliated w/ESPN).

You are in Tobacco Road/SEC/ACC country here..you do know that right? What do people care about? Football and College Basketball which they talk about all the time.

When I lived in NJ, the FAN up there talked Giants/Jets/Mets/Yankees because those sports were local and what the listeners wanted to hear...

Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 AM

284 posts, read 606,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruegerw17 View Post

No offense, but most SEC fans don't care about the rest of the country's "acceptance" of SEC dominance. We're concerned about winning the SEC, and that topic is always brought up by other conferences. So yes, we schedule our games to prepare us for the SEC schedule. And yes, Florida schedules cupcakes as "preseason games" to work the kinks out before the real part of the schedule starts. Big 10 fans seem to like to talk about it on message boards, then get killed by us in bowl games.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
John Boy and Billy kept me happy for years in Florida, I'm not jumping ship at this stage especially now that they are hometown boys. Are Mike and Mike a funny team or what? I might need to expand my horizons.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times
I had a thread on this a few months ago. Someone recommended XM for the office/downtown. It works great. I don't care for the local yahoo's going back and forth all day on 660.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I think Mike and Mike are great. I've never listened to the local fellas.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
No offense, but most SEC fans don't care about the rest of the country's "acceptance" of SEC dominance. We're concerned about winning the SEC, and that topic is always brought up by other conferences. So yes, we schedule our games to prepare us for the SEC schedule. And yes, Florida schedules cupcakes as "preseason games" to work the kinks out before the real part of the schedule starts. Big 10 fans seem to like to talk about it on message boards, then get killed by us in bowl games.
Actually I'm not a Big Ten fan, but good guess (MBA Student at Texas)... I just have a lot of respect for Jim Tressel as a man and a coach. I have lived in the midwest, south, and southwest. I hate listening to local gimmick-saturated sports radio (anywhere in the country). M&M has a national perspective, which is appreciated by those that can see outside of the little local box.

The local Charlotte guys might be doing the best they can, but they need to realize that their audience has changed (like it or not).

XM is well worth it to keep your sanity on the morning commute... I've taken the plunge and would never go back.

As for the SEC comments, it's a two-way street. Cup-cake games are terrible all the way around. Terrible for the D1 team if they lose or nearly lose, and terrible for the D1-sub team if they get hammered. The only winner is the AD of the sub-championship team... getting big money for the game. Charlestown Southern, Youngstown State, Delaware State, App State... yikes. Ridiculous. I think everyone has enjoyed the TENN vs. UC game and the OSU vs. USC game this year.

The real cupcakes should be the teams in your conference such as Vanderbilt or Northwestern, Baylor, Washington State... grow a pair and schedule some good games. The SEC is the best conference right now, but that may not last forever and that the depth may not always be there (or maybe it will)... but history has proven it doesn't. Good OOC games keep the rankings and conference rankings in check regardless of whether you are on top or bottom.

Yes I agree, tOSU should not have been in the national championship against LSU, but a cup-cake schedule ENABLED that to happen. So now OSU had/has home-away match-ups with Texas, USC, Miami, VT, Oklahoma in the next 10 years... which will effectively keep them out of the national championship hunt when they are not worthy.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM

I would say the UF vs. OSU game was the only getting killed instance between Big 10 and SEC. But that depends on what your definition of killed is... 14 pts? Probably not... 21 pts probably. Need I remind you of the UF vs. UM game when UM won after getting beat by App State that same year... Personally I'd love to see Big 12 vs. SEC this year... which I think will happen. All together this year is a down year in college football, especially compared to last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte