Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times

Advertisements

Our exterminator had treated it with what he calls "Delta Dust". It is dusted on top of the hills and the cicada killers eventually will bring it down to its nest and kills its eggs/larvae. He said it would probably take 3 days before I see the results, although he warns that it is toxic to pets and warned me not to leave the dog outside for a while. It seems to be working as I have seen less this morning, and he treated only yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
Cool Kill cicada killer wasts?

Has ANYONE discovered WHAT will KILL this terrible infestation of CICADA KILLER WASPS????

Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantationlover View Post
Has ANYONE discovered WHAT will KILL this terrible infestation of CICADA KILLER WASPS????
Probably CICADA KILLER WASP KILLER WASPS. Just a guess.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Now why in the he ll did I click on this link full knowing there were going to be pictures?????

God Im doing the Cicada killer freak out dance in my office right now

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Now why in the he ll did I click on this link full knowing there were going to be pictures?????

God Im doing the Cicada killer freak out dance in my office right now
He he he...I have more pics where they came from. Want more?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,647 times
These wasps have been discussed numerous times here:

Help!!! Anyone have Bee suit I can borrow?

The female can sting, although they are not aggressive and you almost have to step on them, etc. to get them to sting. The males can't sting. They will disappear sometime this month. The most effective treatment in my experience is to treat the entire area with a granular pesticide and then spray the area with a synthetic pyrethroid (I usually use Bifenthrin). By doing this, you need only let it dry before allowing kids, pets, etc. back on the area.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,574 times
Ok, that is the grossest thing ever. I saw one the other day also for the first time & thought I was seeing a queenbee-until I read this post. Coincidentally just on the Gardening Hour yesterday I was listening to them talk to a caller who was complaining about the noise from the cicadas. When asked if the noise was during the day or night, it turns out that cicadas make noise during the day but the nighttime noise comes from katydids (they look like grasshopers).

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 52,795 times
These things are really scary looking although I have never been stung by one, and I have had them in my yard for 3 years. Last year I was gardening by my porch when something hit me in the back. It was a solid smack and it made me jump. Well, there was one of these things loaded for bear, (or should I say cicada) and I was in the way because the nest was under the porch! I am not a screamer, normally, but I let out an undignified yelp! When these wasps have the cicada wrapped to their belly and are flying around like that they are really something (to be cursed at). I hose down the sand hill, and try to drown them but it doesn't work. I just ask my dh to mow the lawn til they go away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte