Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

327 posts, read 1,198,065 times

Advertisements

Newsflash Mike---Beaties Ford Road is NOT considered part of University City. Its more closely tied to West Charlotte than it is the University area. That's like saying Grier Heights is part of Ballantyne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Hey...Dan Brown, you wrote the word Bloods implying a very dangerous gang in the US....did I miss something?
Dude, you act like gangs are only a problem here...I grew up around gangs!! In the 60's and 70's, where you wanted to walk would determine what colours you wore...this was in the city of Chicago (northside, by the way). In school, you generally avoided the gang colours at all cost so not to be identified as a member by the wrong gang. I don't even remember the names of the gangs anymore, they were a common form of co-existence. That was life.

Yes, the Bloods (which are here) can be dangerous...and, don't even think about coming between a turf war with the Bloods & Crips. But, what does that have to do with you?? Were you planning on antagonizing them or something? Basically, unless you have something that relates to them...i.e., drugs, lots of cash or jewelry or have annoyed one of them, you are safe. Let law enforcement do their job and take care of the issues with them. YOU don't have to be bothered by them unless they are trying to take over your 'hood. THEN, there is an issue, but, again, you have to use the ole street smarts to stay safe. Maybe you just didn't acquire any street smarts while in Cleveland and THAT is your issue??

Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
I do remember several stories about muggins in Myers Park. Guess that area is to dangerous also!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Oh, did we ever get the list of businesses that were closing because the area was unsafe?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
I don't think it's because the area is "unsafe" bit I have noticed a higher vacancy rate at the Shoppes these days.

Jesse Brown Outdoors closed, Hollywood Video left N. Tryon, Rotelli Italian restaurant moved to S. Charlotte and some of the office parks took off. Ladies Fitness in the Bloom shopping center closed.

Most have been replaced by other businesses, and new businesses keep coming in, but it's still disappointing to see some empty storefronts. The area still supports a Starbucks, Panera, Melting Pot, several furniture stores, etc., so it's not abandoned.

I think the police presence definitely needs to be beefed up in the area, simply because it grew so fast.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
No Bloods in your area....have you not seen the news? WCNC Feb 25, 2009 - Enjoy!CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Fifteen people in Charlotte have been indicted on federal drug charges that say the defendants are connected to the Bloods street gang. U.S. Attorney Gretchen C.F. Shappert said in a statement Wednesday that the charges are part of her office's efforts to "eradicate violent drug gangs." Police say the Bloods gang members used fear and intimidation to rule parts of the Beatties Ford Road corridor. On Wednesday morning, 13 members were brought to the Charlotte Law Enforcement Center in handcuffs. "One of the messages is they are at least trying to root out that negative element out of our community," said Butch Simmons, who is a community leader.
Oh good grief...those thugs were arrested in the Hidden Valley neighborhood north of uptown - NOT in the University area. Would you please at least get your facts straight???

Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Cleveland, don't think that any of us are saying that there is NO crime, just saying that it is not any worse here than in, say, Center City. Crime is everywhere. You just have to keep your street smarts about you and be careful. However, you still have not answered my question....what is your motive behind all this hatred? You say that you don't like Cleveland either, so, what is it? I assume that you don't live in U/C anymore since it is so awful here...so, what is your possible gain by doing this?

..and, just as a note, the Bloods that were arrested had their main HQ in Hidden Valley, which is NOT U/C. Not that they didn't come around here, sure, I saw them, but, this was not there main 'hood. Not enough money here. College kids and blue collar workers don't have the $$$ that THEY want....

Don't expect him to answer you - he avoids all questions based in reality - he prefers to contine with is angry, negative agenda of half truths .

Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Smarty pants....where do you supposed the Bloods conducted their business? Not in happy valley!
Do you know how long they wrecked havoc on your area? For years Budrow!
....And not all of them have been arrested...watch the news!
N. Tyron and Harris is considered the UC area. Yes the crime is declining, but don't be fooled by
the numbers, they are still very high. How High? Just like the crackheads going to the Sprint store.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Quote:
Smarty pants....where do you supposed the Bloods conducted their business? Not in happy valley!
Do you know how long they wrecked havoc on your area? For years Budrow!
....And not all of them have been arrested...watch the news!
N. Tyron and Harris is considered the UC area. Yes the crime is declining, but don't be fooled by
the numbers, they are still very high. How High? Just like the crackheads going to the Sprint store.
Not Happy Valley....but Hidden Valley...which is NO where near University City. Hidden Valley is off of Sugar Creek Rd...South of I-85...North of The Plaza.

University City is not bad at all...but I would personally stay NORTH of Harris Blvd and WEST of I-85...that avoids the N. Tryon St corrider totally.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Not Happy Valley....but Hidden Valley...which is NO where near University City. Hidden Valley is off of Sugar Creek Rd...South of I-85...North of The Plaza.

University City is not bad at all...but I would personally stay NORTH of Harris Blvd and WEST of I-85...that avoids the N. Tryon St corrider totally.
This is what most of us have been saying in this and any thread about the university area - which is an honest, accurate representation of the reality SOME people just thrive on creating drama here on city-data, they must have nothing better to do than stir the pot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte