Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times

Advertisements

For as long as the storm is projected to be over land, there's no way that Fay is a tropical storm by the time it reaches NC. More like a tropical depression with soaking rains for a while, depending on how fast it is moving.

We've actually gotten a lot of rain since yesterday afternoon in the Uptown area, after a pretty decent downpour on Friday evening as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
For as long as the storm is projected to be over land, there's no way that Fay is a tropical storm by the time it reaches NC. More like a tropical depression with soaking rains for a while, depending on how fast it is moving.

We've actually gotten a lot of rain since yesterday afternoon in the Uptown area, after a pretty decent downpour on Friday evening as well.
Here at my house in S. CLT - we have gotten some much appreciated rain, but not a drenching. Seems we are in a "hole" and rain often seems to go around us!!! But every little bit helps.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here at my house in S. CLT - we have gotten some much appreciated rain, but not a drenching. Seems we are in a "hole" and rain often seems to go around us!!! But every little bit helps.
Yeah--that "hole" is right above our house too! Ha! I watch the radar all the time and the green/yellow goes perfectly around us! Oh my! I will say that we have received more rain this year then last year but we desperately need this hole to go away!

I just had a thought---be careful what you wish for! Hmmmmmmm.........

Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
I didn't mean to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. We'll be fine up here. I don't expect it to be anything more than a depression when it comes up north. The huge amount of rain should be the story for us.....keeping the fingers crossed...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
I agree...this storm still has a long ways to get here and a lot of land inbetween!!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

457 posts, read 1,377,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't foresee this as being that troublesome here for us. Yes, a tropical storm. Yes, some winds and rain. Hopefully, no power outages. I am thinking the hurricane will come is as Cat 1 and rapidly deteriorate as it heads N towards CLT. I have checked the water temps and don't see it accelerating that much. If it comes in as Cat 2, I think it will be low Cat 2. But I don't see if holding together into a full force hurricane for long after hitting land.

Here is what I would advise (and what I am going to do). Be prepared to handle power outages in case Fay comes in roaring, cause limbs and trees being downed will cause power outages. Even gusts to 65 mph can do that. I think there is only a low chance this will happen. However, I will have batteries and everything charged up (computers, phones). Turn your freezers and fridges up all the way to coldest setting 24 hours b/f Fay is anticipated coming here. That will allow things to hold for longer period.

Get food wh/ works for power outages, i.e. tuna, crackers, cereal, peanut butter, etc.

Have lighter fluid for your grill, so you can also use meat out of your freezer. Buy ice and put in coolers.

Put all lawn furniture in safe place. Some people throw lawn furniture in their pools. Take down umbrellas and lay them flat if you cannot remove them.

Check for trees that have damaged limbs - saw any of those down, if possible. Make sure there is nothing in your yard (or your neighbor's yard) that could go airborne and hit your windows.

Park cars in garage or safe spot, away from tree limbs.

Again, I don't foresee this storm as being more than a tropical storm that will cause us some wind and rain . . . but should it be a strong tropical storm, things can be blown around and power outages can occur.

Just be prudent and carry on . . .

Ani,

Very impressive forecast, are you sure you didn't have a stint on the Weather Channel?? Anyway, not sure if you are familiar with the following weather site, it's awesome, some really good tracking maps, etc, check it out.

Tropical Weather : Weather Underground

This is getting exciting, hopefully we are on the east side of Faye if it does indeed follow the expected track, then we will get more of the beneficial tropical rains...

Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,805 times
I'm more worried about (High School) Friday Night Football...where are my priorities?? We do need the rain, my pool water is getting low. Love all the hype!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
That is such a kind note, Ani..thank you!!! Batten down the hatches and I will try to fly in before the deluge.

I just love how folks on this site watch out for one another!!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

76 posts, read 291,387 times
Geez, we got 4 inches of rain last night in one of the worst--and longest--lightning storms I can ever remember. If we get anymore rain this week, my currently-under-construction pool is going to float away! My backyard is one giant mudpit right now. So much for pouring the concrete pool deck this week...

Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,871 times
It's funny, I didn't realize that people this far up and inland would even be worried aobut these storms. We were in Okeechobee in 2004 with Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. We sat through the eye of two of these with a Scooby Doo radio. LOL I thought after being here, I wouldn't have to worry about any of that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte