Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

People have all sorts of reason for choosing the car they drive. Some people are stuck w/ a car that may be a gas guzzler; others may need it to transport a family around; others may need it for their business use.

I really get aggravated when people think it is somehow RIGHTEOUS to be condescending and judgmental about the vehicle someone else is driving.

Amazing how in this country - where we all celebrate individual freedom and the right to "pursue happiness" that it has become fashionable to judge everyone else according to our own standards.

I don't know what happened . . . seems my generation was into "Do your own thing" and "All You Need is Love" and "Live and Let Live." Why people now think it is attractive to make assumptions about others - and denigrate their decisions - and make assumptions about people's character/social responsibility ("you drive an SUV - you must not give a damn about the environment) - is pretty shallow.

No one can know what a person may espouse (or care about) by what vehicle they may be driving.

It only stands to reason that a person w/ a gas guzzler is not going to be in a hurry to over-consume gas!!!! Who wants to pay hundreds a month to drive a vehicle? I am sure anyone who has an SUV is doing all he/she can do to limit driving and limit their carbon footprint.

As for the run on gas here . . . people need to take a deep breath!!!!! We will get through this. Rising gas prices have reminded us all about the wisdom of conserving as well as carpooling, combining errands, etc.

I bet gas prices will go back down to under $4 in a few weeks. If not, we will all figure out how to survive, regardless.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM

70 posts, read 160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
People have all sorts of reason for choosing the car they drive. Some people are stuck w/ a car that may be a gas guzzler; others may need it to transport a family around; others may need it for their business use.
I don't think it is so much of a car that one drives, but an attitude that many people have. Me me and ME, and when life isnt working out for me they blame someone else. That's all. I do in fact drive a 10 year old foreign suv toyota that has been the best car I ever had. And I will get another in due time. But it is the attitude of society, not any one given thing. People across America think they deserve every fangled gadget, yet how many of us, recycle, reuse, reduce- but more importantly, pay attention? How many of us actually do our part to help, USA, if nothing else, become all it can be? Our famous people ridicule USA as if we were whores. People on Jay Leno don't even know the president's name. It's really sad.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Gee my station is open and the fuel is free. Weird..

Oh yeah, I run waste vegetable oil.. bahahahahaha.. You guys keep eatin chinese food... y'all come back again ya hear? lol..

Americans need to wake up. SUV's are a freakin joke.. Oh I MUST have a SUV with LCD panels for my kiddies so I do not have to talk to them... I am too damn busy to talk to my children I have a McMansion to pay for! And this gas is killing me.. oh oh oh.. and I need a new 52" flat panel TV.. OH and also the newest Ipod so I can listen to my itunes so I can pay apple computer all sorts of money for doing nothing and oh I need a DVR to record my shows cuz I am too busy to watch them when they are on and oh, my electric bill is so high and oh I need my house cooler.. oh oh.. money.. oh oh work work.. oh...

and why do you think your kids are disrespecting the teachers and can't spell?

fools.
Sorry I opted for the 42 flat panel, 52 would have been too much for above the fireplace. Oh no, SUV left for a 2 door coupe that I cram two kids into, oh wait I do have the 2500HD though. I don't have an ipod but yes my 11 y.o does. I have the $30 QVC Today's special value. Guess that's putting me before my children. DVR, why yes so I can watch my soap that comes on while I work to pay for the gas in my two door coupe and pay for my modest 2500 sq foot home and my camper that I use to go camping and spend quality time with my children. But wait we allll just know how to waste money.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM

121 posts, read 382,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Where did you live, the woods or in a ghetto? No problem where I live. Oh, I see, you are from upstate N.Y. Maybe some day we will do it like it is done there. By the way, do you still live here? Please tell us how to get away from all the sprawl. Oh yea, I forget, people are not moving to upstate N.Y. by the hundreds of thousands and any suggestion would be speculation. Not enough of that around.
Before you get all NC is superior to NY thing on me here, I was just noticing my observation of the major cities in NC. Growth is great I guess, it can be controlled a LOT better than clearing all the trees from land, and slapping up strip malls. I see that the majority of people prefer to live in housing developments with no real sense of "town" anywhere. Just an observation.....a few of the smaller cities in NC still have this, however. Growth can be controlled and it can look a WHOLE lot better and it isn't really a NC thing, it is in most growing areas so I am not bashing NC...blah, blah...

Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
Before you get all NC is superior to NY thing on me here, I was just noticing my observation of the major cities in NC. Growth is great I guess, it can be controlled a LOT better than clearing all the trees from land, and slapping up strip malls. I see that the majority of people prefer to live in housing developments with no real sense of "town" anywhere. Just an observation.....a few of the smaller cities in NC still have this, however. Growth can be controlled and it can look a WHOLE lot better and it isn't really a NC thing, it is in most growing areas so I am not bashing NC...blah, blah...
Are you here in Charlotte? Cause it doesn't sound like you are. We have not cleared trees and slapped up malls and subdivisions. Charlotte is covered w/ trees (too many for my allergies, LOL!!!)

Charlotte proper is a spread out city . . . but the burbs are basically w/in other communities/towns outside of CLT's city limits. We have very distinct towns here.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
well the problem is that some people needed the gas and just happened to be on freak out day. Im glad I got in at 3.99
Exactly.

And I agree with another poster, I wish our lives were more walkable these days. I was thinking about that when my 4 year old was asking me why people were saying we were going to run out of gas, and what would we do without cars?

Actually...when I lived in Concord, what was walkable to us was a high school and a gas station/convenience store.

Where we live now, her elementary school will be easily walk-to-able...if there was just an utter crisis and it came to either having to walk or not have things, I COULD make it to the local downtown but it would take me some time. Nothing here is walkable in the sense of things being close and having sidewalks. It's not a pedestrian place for sure. But I'm just saying, I could do it if the day came that stores were open but we didn't have cars. I'd actually like to walk more now but it's just not safe. The roads have steep shoulders and embankments and cars fly and don't look out for people on foot. I would love to live in a pedestrian friendly place and be able to walk to stores, especially when it's not 80 degrees out.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,641 times
Sometimes it seems like I am the only person around who does not give a ____ what kind of car someone is driving. Including myself, as long as it takes me where I need to and has an air conditioner.

I just happen to have kids and I just happen to drive a minivan--so uh oh, this makes me, apparently, uncool and untrendy and a "soccer mom" so I am told by my ever-so-hip sister in law who happens to have kids and drives one of those weird stationwagon/SUV looking things. She sold her SUV when all her friends started driving these- evidently the "in" thing to drive changes every few years because I remember when had a car, before she had to have an SUV. I still have my 1990 Honda Accord, best car I ever had, 230,000 miles and still rolling! My husband drives it to work because it's still good on gas. I was driving it until my pregnancies when it was just too low and I felt safer and more comfortable driving my husband's truck. After I had the babies I had safety in mind- I first bought an SUV but didn't like the way it handled, and when I was thinking of having another kid, I didn't like the idea of having to move her out of the back center seat and having one kid on each side in the SUV. I test drove minivans and didn't look back- the Honda was the best car I have ever owned as far as mechanically and gas mileage but the minivan is the most comfortable and best for the kids. I hear the MOST "uncool soccer mom" jokes about my minivan from other moms, some of whom really do have kids who play soccer- my kids aren't even in school yet. LMAO!

I so could care less. And I could go to a car lot and get anything I want, but i NEVER, ever buy new--EVER. It's just too crazy IMO- they depreciate so much I think the best age to buy a car is about 2 years old, and then I drive them till the wheels fall off. This is just me- you could never make me buy new, or buy certain vehicles. However, I don't care what anyone else chooses to do, it's your money and you should drive what you like. I might love your Corvette or Mercedes or SUV or brand new minivan- I just don't want one myself because I'd rather put my money elsewhere.

I think it's ignorant to judge people based on their car. I'd be careful about the assumptions, you don't know why someone drives what they do. Whenever I hear someone rant about how someone else drives a gas guzzler and is harming the environment I just KNOW that there is plenty they do "wrong" themselves, if one really wanted to judge.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Can't respond. I have no idea what an ignorate is. Is that somone who ignores rates?

Dawn
Frightening, isn't it???

Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I guess I'm in a class by myself with my 92" tv.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
long or short line chevron is always glad to see you and will continue to be glad as long as you are in that humvee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte