Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Really? I have yet to see it here as of late. What ever happened to the Attorney General cracking down on the gougers????? The rest of the country is around $3.50-$3.60 with prices expected to drop 3 to 5 cents later this week. I honestly have a hard time believing that there is truly a shortage here and honestly think it's just a ploy to keep prices high. It's pretty pathetic when $3.89 here is considered cheap and gas prices on Long Island are at 3.57. It's usually the other way around. I filled the wifes truck on the way home from Gaffeny on Saturday in Blacksburg SC for $3.65 and the station across the street was at $3.91. Pathetic thing is people were actually across the street filling up for 26 cents more a gallon. As long as there are stupid people willing to pay the higher prices the longer it will take for everyone to be back in line with each other again. I still have a hard time believing there is truly a shortage,
Today is a day I wish I was back in NJ. Gas is $3.29 and there is no shortage. I haven't heard much about VA either. Is this just the Carolinas and GA? If that pipeline runs all the way up the East Coast, why are the more northerly states not having any problems? Did all those Carolina gas wholesalers misplace their giant "sippy straws"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM

92 posts, read 274,172 times
i waited an hour and then it took 20 minutes to get 10 gallons because the pumps were almost empty, then the gas didn't automatically switch off when my tank was full so it covered my feet in flamable liquid anyhow i'm still here to tell the story

Old 09-24-2008, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 26,428 times
I live in South Park and am also looking for gas....

Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelafaithlove View Post
I live in South Park and am also looking for gas....
Y, my wife in completely out, but I will siphon her a few gallons from my car from what I bought this morning.
A lost art, but oh how useful...

Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM

92 posts, read 274,172 times
i looked on my gps for gas stations within 8 miles and the phone numbers were on there too, so i called them all until i found one with gas, then i did my 1 hour wait but i did get gas - yeah

Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Fortunately we have lawnmower gas left over if DH can't find gas in the next few days. I guess we won't be mowing the lawn, but that is better than running out of gas!!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 26,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
i looked on my gps for gas stations within 8 miles and the phone numbers were on there too, so i called them all until i found one with gas, then i did my 1 hour wait but i did get gas - yeah
Where did you end up getting gas? I have called approximately 30 stations and they are all out of gas.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
IMHO, let the marketplace decide the price.
I bypass the high stations, and find one with gas that is cheaper.
BUT, if I owned a station I would charge as much as I could get.
I wish I could invent or sell a product that was so inelastic in its demand!

You are not forced to buy it - ride a bicycle or the bus...

And I can say this since I ride a scooter or motorcycle most days (you probably laugh at me from your luxury SUV) while my BMWs are waxed and in the garage.
We are being played like a cheap fiddle by the oil companies, and your response is unfounded comments about my SUV, which by the way is non-existent, as I do not drive an SUV, and really no one cares about what you have garaged and shiny, save all but perhaps someone that somehow feels it is important to point out what they own.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We are being played like a cheap fiddle by the oil companies, and your response is unfounded comments about my SUV, which by the way is non-existent, as I do not drive an SUV, and really no one cares about what you have garaged and shiny, save all but perhaps someone that somehow feels it is important to point out what they own.

Unless you driving from Ashville to Charlotte and
regardless if you are, your statement doesnt answer anything about the OP

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-24-2008 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We are being played like a cheap fiddle by the oil companies,
Open your eyes, it is supply vs demand.
The supply is low and the demand is high.

You are not forced to buy it, ride a bike or the bus.
Frankly I think episodes such as this teach us just how dependent we are on energy. Not that I enjoy it by any means, but I recall paying $4/gal for petrol in Europe 10+ years ago, now they are $9-11 a gallon.

The Charlotte area should be back to 'normal' in 7-10 days from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte