Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM

32 posts, read 87,837 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share some insight on the great number of businesses that fail in Charlotte? Particularly food ones. Is it because there is a culture of "flavor of the month". It seems that what people like a lot here are chain type restaurants and the local, family owned ones have a harder time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMC View Post
Can anyone share some insight on the great number of businesses that fail in Charlotte? Particularly food ones. Is it because there is a culture of "flavor of the month". It seems that what people like a lot here are chain type restaurants and the local, family owned ones have a harder time.
Well, as a former "Jersey Boy", I can at least explain the demise of many of the pizza places. In a word, it simply ...is price. So many pizza places open in the Charlotte region by legions of "supposed former pizza joint owners" from the Northeast who promise they make the "genuine article". They usually do a halfway decent job with their pizzas and they taste very similar to what you would have gotten in NJ or NY. However, by the time you add a few toppings to an extra large pizza, it seems to approach the $25 mark. So many places end up with locations where the rents are high and owners seem to think they need to be in a fairly upscale location to succeed. The problem is that people like me used to buy those pizzas for ~$10 from the local pizza place, back in NJ and NY and go a couple of times and that's it. The native NC population will not eat there that often as well, because they tend to view it as an expensive treat, not a regular weekly place to eat or get take-out from and don't view pizza as "cheap comfort food" as many Northeasterners do.

Thus, when a new pizza place opens, it usually does good business for a while and then starts a slow decline into oblivion. You know that if you're a pizza business and are selling about 10 pies an hour on a Friday or Saturday night, and 3 or 4 on the other weekdays, you're not going to make it. So after they go under, it's back to Domino's for the now desperate!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well, as a former "Jersey Boy", I can at least explain the demise of many of the pizza places. In a word, it simply ...is price. So many pizza places open in the Charlotte region by legions of "supposed former pizza joint owners" from the Northeast who promise they make the "genuine article". They usually do a halfway decent job with their pizzas and they taste very similar to what you would have gotten in NJ or NY. However, by the time you add a few toppings to an extra large pizza, it seems to approach the $25 mark. So many places end up with locations where the rents are high and owners seem to think they need to be in a fairly upscale location to succeed. The problem is that people like me used to buy those pizzas for ~$10 from the local pizza place, back in NJ and NY and go a couple of times and that's it. The native NC population will not eat there that often as well, because they tend to view it as an expensive treat, not a regular weekly place to eat or get take-out from and don't view pizza as "cheap comfort food" as many Northeasterners do.

Thus, when a new pizza place opens, it usually does good business for a while and then starts a slow decline into oblivion. You know that if you're a pizza business and are selling about 10 pies an hour on a Friday or Saturday night, and 3 or 4 on the other weekdays, you're not going to make it. So after they go under, it's back to Domino's for the now desperate!
I agree Emissary. Even coming from South Florida to Charlotte, we were surprised at the prices of pizza here. We used to grab a pie a couple of times a week, usually as an add on to something else we were having for dinner. Now, it's a treat that we only do once a month or so.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I agree Emissary. Even coming from South Florida to Charlotte, we were surprised at the prices of pizza here. We used to grab a pie a couple of times a week, usually as an add on to something else we were having for dinner. Now, it's a treat that we only do once a month or so.
I think another problem as far as pizza joints go - is the driving distance. In the Northeast, with its much higher population density, you don't have to travel that far to get good pizza. In a mile radius from your home you might have 5 or 6 local pizzerias to choose from. Most places are small with a couple of tables, because most folks pick up their pizza and eat it at home. To get to a decent pizza place in Charlotte, I'd have to drive 20 miles to get there, which negates bringing it home ... it would be as cold as the car seat! Plus the Charlotte places tend to be bigger ... a more restaurant style, which when coupled with the high rents of the South Charlotte/Ballentyne area make them "recipes for financial disaster" once the "newness" has worn off.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I think another problem as far as pizza joints go - is the driving distance. In the Northeast, with its much higher population density, you don't have to travel that far to get good pizza. In a mile radius from your home you might have 5 or 6 local pizzerias to choose from. Most places are small with a couple of tables, because most folks pick up their pizza and eat it at home. To get to a decent pizza place in Charlotte, I'd have to drive 20 miles to get there, which negates bringing it home ... it would be as cold as the car seat! Plus the Charlotte places tend to be bigger ... a more restaurant style, which when coupled with the high rents of the South Charlotte/Ballentyne area make them "recipes for financial disaster" once the "newness" has worn off.
There's no good pizza closer than 20 miles to you?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
There's no good pizza closer than 20 miles to you?
I'm in Monroe. The closest decent place by me is Farley's Pizza in Mineral Springs and even that is a 6 mile drive down 75. Their pizza is pretty good, but their prices are a bit on the high side both for their sandwiches and pizza. Back in NJ, I could walk to the nearest pizzeria and on Wednesday, they had their special 2-topping large pizza ...16" for $6.95. Sometimes, in the newspaper, they'd have a coupon for this place for $1 off. Thus, the total cost for a pizza would be $5.95. You'd have to look long-and-hard to find a deal like that here!

But in the area's defense, what I save on taxes ...e.g. a three times bigger house for 25% of the total tax on my old house, I could buy a lot of pizza. But being the retired cheapskate that I am, I look for the best deals on everything! I guess I believed my parents' depression-era sob stories!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:55 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I have no idea how long ago it closed, but I went to drop off an UPS package at the shipping store in Stonecrest off of Rea and it was no longer there. It's a Tennis shop now.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have no idea how long ago it closed, but I went to drop off an UPS package at the shipping store in Stonecrest off of Rea and it was no longer there. It's a Tennis shop now.
I went into that tennis shop at least 6 months ago, probably much longer than that.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Blockbuster is dead.

Your late fees are waived: Blockbuster closes - CNN.com

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,280 times
^ Well, there's a shocker, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte