Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I just wish Charlotte had a place that sells fresh gnocchi, pasta and perogi.
While I have not really found any of this in charlotte, I haven't spent much time looking.

I found some gnocchi in a vacuum packed package at world market (un-refrigerated) that were like $2 a package... they weren't homemade but they did the trick for me.

I have not found anything anywhere that is close to the homemade pierogi that my mom and grandmother make (ancient Ukrainian secret). But someone mentioned a Russian market that may sell them a while ago that I haven't found yet. If you search for 'pierogi' and find a thread by me, that's the market.

Good luck! For now I'm stuck on making my mom make about 6 dozen pierogi at a time and freezing them for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
While I have not really found any of this in charlotte, I haven't spent much time looking.

I found some gnocchi in a vacuum packed package at world market (un-refrigerated) that were like $2 a package... they weren't homemade but they did the trick for me.

I have not found anything anywhere that is close to the homemade pierogi that my mom and grandmother make (ancient Ukrainian secret). But someone mentioned a Russian market that may sell them a while ago that I haven't found yet. If you search for 'pierogi' and find a thread by me, that's the market.

Good luck! For now I'm stuck on making my mom make about 6 dozen pierogi at a time and freezing them for me.
I would pay $$$ for that Ukrainian Perogi recipe!
The Polish cook in our family passed away and took the recipe with her!
Just goes to show how important it is to get your Mothers, Grandmothers, Aunts, Cousins to preserve these secret recipes.
Sadly most good cooks cook by memory.

I've asked my Grandmother to write down her recipe for Apple tarts. She has yet to do so....

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,375 times
I've got all kinds of eastern European recipes available to me in my mom's "box o' recipes". Not all of them are original family recipes, but I know they've been handed down generations. My mom now even makes a variety using some Velveeta cheese that is to die for.

Until I inherit that box though, I'm SOL for the pierogi recipe. Unless I feel like making a gross at thanksgiving (which would be my payment as well as a punishment, no way I'm letting my mom win twice )

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Okay, and I'm serious, would SOMEONE please describe to me what exactly this stuff is that you are all craving so badly???

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, and I'm serious, would SOMEONE please describe to me what exactly this stuff is that you are all craving so badly???
Perogi:
Pierogi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gnocchi:
Gnocchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should try them, you'd really like them.
When I figure out how, I'll make some for you.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Perogi:
Pierogi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gnocchi:
Gnocchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should try them, you'd really like them.
When I figure out how, I'll make some for you.
Thanks So gnocchi are dumplings? Do you eat them IN something like a red sauce or something?

Let me know what time dinner is served

Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Yes, Loves. They are like little dumplings, but they don't have a distinct center like a perogi or a ravioli. You can cover them with whatever sauce you would put on pasta and add some parmesian, if you like. This time of year, they are also good with a brown gravy (light). Like something you might make for pork? Think of them as a very doughy pasta. Some people pronounce it no-key some say no-chee.
Make some with a nice green salad and you have a meal.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Reconstituted instant potatoes, a little salt, an egg, and some flour to bind. Roll into ropes, then pinch them off.

Five minutes of work, and tastes so much better than anything you'll get from a package.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 AM

457 posts, read 1,178,117 times
I bet the Russian store A&A International Food the address is 6721 Independence Blvd. in Matthews has Pierogi's.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM

53 posts, read 154,054 times
Default Restaurants with gnocchi

My favorite is Magianno's in South Park. There is also a restaurant in Dilworth (Dolce?) that makes homemade gnoocchi one day a week (Tuesdays?). Heard about this place from a friend and have not tried it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte