Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,636,100 times

Advertisements

WULF - you are young and have no commitments to kids. Your situation actually sounds like a GRAND ADVENTURE to me!!! ROFL!!! You are obviously quite resilient . . . and those back up plans - you are right. And flexibility. And realism. It all makes a difference!!!

I hope you are happy here and plan to stay!!!!! But you sound like you would always land on your feet, no matter what - cause you are resilient and always have contingency plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Quick question on the subject.

If you found yourself without a job would you wash dishes or bus tables?

I have in the past and I will do it again if I ever have to.
YES. Definitely. You do what you have to do. You don't have to put it on your resume! But you support yourself however you need to - and I have - and would again.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM

578 posts, read 2,602,725 times
Like some of you have said, it's different when you don't have kids. That way if you can't find a job, it's only you that will starve. I actually think packing up and moving to a new place is kind of fun, but I haven't ever done so without a job -- again, because I have mouths to feed! Even when I moved back home for a while, I STILL lined up a job before I came.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,228,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
WULF - you are young and have no commitments to kids. Your situation actually sounds like a GRAND ADVENTURE to me!!! ROFL!!! You are obviously quite resilient . . . and those back up plans - you are right. And flexibility. And realism. It all makes a difference!!!

I hope you are happy here and plan to stay!!!!! But you sound like you would always land on your feet, no matter what - cause you are resilient and always have contingency plans.
Yes I had all sorts of plans, but actually not that YOUNG.. I should have done it in my 20's or right after college, but I was so excited to go into the work force.. HA HA..

And yes, I would have and did do odd jobs. When I was in Washington, I almost stayed a month working on a clean up project, but had to sneak over to Idaho first. Ahh well.

Oh and no I wasn't running from the law or a crazy ex girlfriend..

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post

Oh and no I wasn't running from the law or a crazy ex girlfriend..
Actually, I should have put in my earlier post that running from a crazy EX is actually a very valid reason for moving somewhere without a job, LOL.

If you are under 50, you are young. 50 is the new 40 now, ya know.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,732,666 times
The last time someone moved without a secure job was Christofer Columbus. At least he was getting paid for the trip over.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:32 AM

714 posts, read 2,311,704 times
Quote:

I would. However, I honed my "mad typing skillz" (118 wpm, faster than 98.9% of Facebook, or so says that little FB typing widget) in the hopes that if it ever came down to something like that, I could be a secretary or administrative assistant somewhere.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Sorry for this kind of response

Not quite in the spirit of Thanksgiving or Christmas but I need to say I don't have that much sympathy for Paul and his wife. The kid yes.

First off he sold his house somewhere close to where I live and probably got a barrel of money for it as he sold at the top of the market. I'm sure he didn't say then "My yard is the size of this coffee table". So now he says it. Big deal he has a great big yard and his wife is stressed about moving. You DON"T HAVE A JOB! And you moved to your big house on the hill WITHOUT a job. (actually I don't think there are any hills where he moved..just BIG yards).

OK you made a mistake. But it's not a revelation that now you will save "our house, no matter what I need to do" Just do it! Let your wife work off some of her stress by moving your lawn.Take anything you can to survive.Get the music "I'll Survive" and play it day and nite along with "Rocky". Get going.

Would I wash dishes, etc? Darn right I would. I don't have any skills other than the "skill" to want food on my table and a roof over my head.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Let's expand this question

Quote:

It might be interesting to know from our members: If you couldn't find one single piece of work would you do something illegal?
How illegal?
If no work and no illegal what do you do for a safety net and/or survive?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 AM

714 posts, read 2,311,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Maybe refreshing those communication skills would help.
Good catch. Everyone seems to forget that "communication" is as much about listening as it is about talking. (If not moreso!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte