Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 24,667 times

Advertisements

To all those who are concerned about the "out of control" animal control services in NC,

Yesterday a contentious public meeting was held by the Board of Commissioners of Gaston County, NC as a result of the failed state inspection of their "dog pound" in December 2008. Approximately 60 people, including our NC state director who lives in Gaston County, attended. Approximately 10 people offered public testimony. As expected, Reggie Horton, the Director of Gaston Animal Control, and the Gaston County Board of Commissioners effectively sidestepped the important issues which were raised. Namely, violations of state laws. Lost animals getting killed within 24 hrs in violation of NCGS 130A-192, because, according to the vet who "euthanized" it, "it was old and skinny and blind." Apparently Gaston County Animal Control does not believe that pet owners have a right to have their lost pet returned to them if it is "old" or "skinny" or "blind." Animals are refused to be held overnight even though rescue groups agreed to pick it up the next day. Gaston and many other NC counties apparently do not want to bother collaborating with rescue groups. Why should they? It means more work for them to answer calls, keep track of which groups wants which animals, etc. The failed inspection stated that the disposition paperwork on the animals, which is required by state law to be created and preserved, was either incomplete or nonexistent. Either broken or no food or water bowls was common. Why feed the animals? They will be that much heavier to pick up after the automated gassing operation. There is much, much more, but the professional "sidestepping" job appears to have worked with the 60 plus animal people who attended (though not on all of course). The Board of Commissioners talked up "spay neuter," which has nothing to do with the above issues of mismanagement, and Reggie Horton told the media that "passions bring to the forefront good things for the animal community," and he blamed the "old" shelter for his agency's violations. Needless to say none of the above-mentioned violations have anything to do with the old building as they relate only to Mr. Horton's incapability or lack of desire to operate a shelter in compliance with the laws of North Carolina. Watch the WSOC-TV Channel 9 news report at http://www.wsoctv.com/waxntv/18443281/detail.html.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Animals View Post
Death by carbon monoxide gas chamber is not peaceful. Animals are suffocated to death, vomit, convulse, and many claw to get out. I suggest until they can reduce the number of animals being killed, that they use the same method that 65 county shelters in the state use, the same method used in all vet offices, euthanasia by injection. This is an anesthetic that literally makes the pet go to sleep, unlike gagging on a poisonous gas.

State law requires that lost animals without owner identification be held for a minimum of 72 hours, to give their owners a chance to find them. Tags can fall off, and microchip scanners may not always pick up a chip. Since animals are considered property by many people in North Carolina, is it right for a government-run shelter to destroy property of residents before the minimum hold time is up?
They also put more than one animal into the "kill box", right? They are piling animals on top of one another and the ones on the bottom can take longer.

They are also killing dogs and cats who are sick and/or too young and/or too old in the "kill box".

Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM

I will also add that every dog I have pulled from Gaston was a "unadoptable" dog that was labeled as aggressive or shy. It has never been true. Every dog from there was friendly to all and highly adoptable. All except for the one who died of parvo. I have not met one person who hasn't had a dog from Gaston County die or who incurred huge vets bills due the animal being sick. You can't prevent all disease but with better practices, you can significantly reduce the risk.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,679 times
Someone commented about private groups raising money for shelters, well there is a great deal of private money involved in dealing with humane treatment of animals. Untill there is a philosophy change in those that run the shelter there will not be a meaningful change. We are not the same people as 30- 40 years ago when the animal control facility was built to hold for 3 days and kill. I sincerely home our community is more humane than that so a hold and adopt philosohphy can take hold and grow. Animal groups took 1800 "unadoptable" dogs and cats from this facility and found homes for them. We had to pay for that privelage to the tune of 1000 dollars a year. AC does not even open to the public all day. They are open from 11 am untill 5 am and 4 hours on the first Sat of the month. Does this sound like we are getting our moneys worth?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
welcome to the south.

Here some numbers of other southern counties
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...uthanized.html

Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickertrainer2002 View Post
Someone commented about private groups raising money for shelters, well there is a great deal of private money involved in dealing with humane treatment of animals. Untill there is a philosophy change in those that run the shelter there will not be a meaningful change. We are not the same people as 30- 40 years ago when the animal control facility was built to hold for 3 days and kill. I sincerely home our community is more humane than that so a hold and adopt philosohphy can take hold and grow. Animal groups took 1800 "unadoptable" dogs and cats from this facility and found homes for them. We had to pay for that privelage to the tune of 1000 dollars a year. AC does not even open to the public all day. They are open from 11 am untill 5 am and 4 hours on the first Sat of the month. Does this sound like we are getting our moneys worth?
You make some great points. My wish is that Animal Control would reach out to the public and the media instead of waiting to be reported on. I don't want to comment on anyone who works there on a personal level. I can only say the general attitude seems to be apathy. I don't buy the argument that none of this is their fault and it's all the irresponsible pet owners as they claimed last week.

We all know we live in a society with many irresponsible people to varying degrees. Laying all the blame on them, I feel, takes away from the responsibility that municipal shelters have as well. No one is making you torture. No one is making you have them live in sub standard conditions. No one is making you yank puppies around with the pull. No one is making you stay uneducated as to how to temp test. No one is making you use cruel forms of killing. No one is even making you kill as many as you do. Most of the animals that end up at Gaston are going to die.

We can't control other people, but we do have control over ourselves. Just because immorality lays all around you, it doesn't mean you should lose your sense of right and wrong or your values. One guy said, "Just because you lay down in dirt, doesn't mean you need to get dirty."

I would love to see them change their hours to help facilitate saving lives like you said. As well as taking some initiative and reaching out to the public. Educate the public! Not everyone is going to change but some will and over time more and more will. Maybe have junior high school and high school kids have field trips there? Maybe by educating the youth they might save future lives and help them grow up to be more compassionate human beings? Maybe get reputable breeders in on it too because I would think they want to see an end to back yard breeders even if they only care about their breeds standards.

Ask the newspapers to report on the intake amounts, the reasons people give, the deaths. Tell the public, "We are sick of cleaning up after you!"

You also wrote that we are not the same people we were 30 - 40 years ago. Another good point because haven't the vets they use been there for almost that long? When I heard them speaking last week, I really thought I was in The Twilight Zone. To hear someone take credit for killing and to advocate gassing when every study has shown it is cruel and is not cost effective. But for me, that is moot. I don't believe you can put a price on doing the right thing and being a compassionate, decent human being.

Now that they are talking about spaying and neutering we might get a lot more people opposing any improvements. I hope the next time there is a board meeting, there is a huge turn out of animal advocates. We are their voice.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
This is from an 05 article. Hold your breath on things changing.

Quote:

GASTONIA, N.C. -- Some people in Gaston County have criticized the way the county animal shelter goes about euthanasia. The shelter currently uses a gas chamber and rejects the idea that there is a more humane way to put unwanted or sick animals to death.

Both sides agree that euthanizing animals is necessary. The disagreement is over what method should be used.

In April Terry Kenny learned about the gas chamber at the Gaston County Animal Shelter.

“I was horrified, it made me cry. This is not the way we need to treat little defenseless animals,” Kenny said.

Since then she's led a group trying to get the county to shut off the gas and use lethal injections instead.

“The idea of putting animals in a cage in groups together and gassing them, I find that totally unacceptable,” Kenny said.

National organizations including the American Humane Association said gas chambers should not be used for euthanasia. But Reggie Horton, the man in charge of Gaston County's Animal Control Division, said the county's chamber is painless and quick.

“The actual loss of consciousness and until death is less than a minute,” Horton said.

Horton said several other North Carolina counties also use gas chambers. 6NEWS checked and learned that Mecklenburg County uses only lethal injections for euthanasia.
But let's not forget the apathy and general slime factor extends to the state level. ie why the HELL aren't they being severely fined/jailed/shut down??

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
Just thought this was worth a bump

Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,520 times
Just wanted to let other readers know that this is very true. Many shelter workers, not that they are bad people, dont know how many dogs each year are put down due to lack of responsible owners. 60% of all dogs in shelters are there due to behavioral problems.

If anyone is having a problem with their pet and would like help on correcting issues, please get in touch with me. I am the owner of The K9 Center, just recently opened, and would love to help people out with their dogs. Please get in touch!

Always - B. Hilliard

[URL="http://www.TheK9Center.webs.com"]www.TheK9Center.webs.com[/URL]

Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Just thought this was worth a bump
Normally I don't like bumping, but, this was worth it. I totally missed this thread and glad it surfaced back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: