Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:37 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times

Advertisements

I still stick with my initial assertion that the photographer was going for effect that, depending upon your preference, did or did not work. I don't mind it and I do see what they were going for, but I can understand that some may also see it as overdone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I still stick with my initial assertion that the photographer was going for effect that, depending upon your preference, did or did not work. I don't mind it and I do see what they were going for, but I can understand that some may also see it as overdone.

He was completely going for effect. The blur or streaki-ness is intentional as you tend to see that same effect intentionally done in many wedding reception shots. You zoom in, hit your shutter and quickly start zooming back out. Those are intentional shots.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
As someone who does photography sometimes on the side and who sells stock images online... (me)...

The ones of the band and other members lined up with one person's face being in focus and the focus trailing off in front of and/or behind them is "depth of field" (DOF for short) and this is a "shallow" depth of field. Now, most photogs use this to highlight a particular person or subject better. So if he was just focusing on the band in general, fine, he randomly picked one person and got artsy. But yeah, from a parent's standpoint that's not the right place to use this type of DOF effect. He could have made a couple of camera adjustments and poof - everyone would have been in focus down the line.

Some of the marching shot he did intentionally to show a sense of movement, but as others have pointed out, he overcooked it. It's fine to have a couple of shots like that tossed in for effect, but not so many, and the one of a girl putting money into a bucket - not the right time for it.

Not necessarily a crappy photographer - just didn't know when to stop doing some things and do more of others, etc.

http://bestsmileys.com/camera/1.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte