Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinman View Post
Items that I cannot find include:

Crystal Brand X-tra hot, hot sauce
Williams Brand taco seasoning
Dr Bronners bar soaps
Xochitl Brand corn tortilla chips
Act II Xtreme Butter microwave popcorn
Eco Brand laundry liquid
Tarantula Brand Blue Margarita Mix
Dr Swami and Bone Daddy's Margarita mix

I'm sure I'll run across more but that's it so far...
Ingles has Crystal Brand hot sauce. They should be able to get the Hot, Hot Sauce. If you have found the Hot Sauce at a more convenient chain, ask them to order it. If not, contact Ingles Ingles Markets - Contact Information & ask the nearest store to get it for you. Also check this website. Baumer Foods, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for these?
Bison French Onion Dip
A big bottle of Franks hot sauce
Zweigle's hot dogs

I so forgot about yoplait lemon yogurt. Umm I didn't know I missed it until I read it here. lol
I noticed Franks Original at the Kings Mountain Ingles supermarket tonight & remembered that someone was looking. If you have not found it at a more convenient chain, contact the nearest Ingles to make sure that they have it. Ingles Markets Store Locator

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM

90 posts, read 374,769 times
I love farina, which I suppose is like grits but finer, when I moved to Greensboro 4 yrs ago I could not get that, nor bluberry jam by smuckers and also could not find Don Fransisco Coffee, that hazelnut flavor is fantastic.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,580 times
You can get big bottles of Frank's at Costco and Eco laundry soap at Costco in Winston-Salem, so I would imagine it would be in Charlotte. All of the grocery stores here carry Frank's. I actually thought it was a southern hot sauce until this post! I had never noticed it in CA, but now buy it all the time. I miss sour dough bread. My WalMart has some in their bakery section, but it is just okay. I miss big, greasy breakfast burritos after a night out drinking from little taco stands. The Mexican food just isn't the same here....

Old 09-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Today I saw Franks Original & the wing sauce at Lowes Foods in Gastonia.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
[quote=enlightenme;109365 I miss big, greasy breakfast burritos after a night out drinking from little taco stands. The Mexican food just isn't the same here....[/quote]

It's the water. Yep, just like the NY transplants complain about the bagels. . . "boo hoo they don't taste the same as the ones on Long Island" the burritos in Charlotte are made with clean water. The taste you're missing is the dirty water they use in Mexico. When they use that Montezuma's Revenge water. . .well things just don't taste the same.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
I grow and can my own tomatoes and usually I have more than enough to keep me supplied for the year. It's one of the nice things about living in the South, a long growing season that is perfect for tomatoes. However, as far as the metallic taste goes, it sounds as if the plastic coating inside the can might have been defective and you are tasting the metal in the can itself. The acid in the tomatoes will do this. It should be harmless as the only purpose of the plastic is to stop the taste that you mention. However if in doubt throw it out.

Given that we have a very large number of tomatoes grown here, I would suggest that you try a few of the local grocery store house brands. I've never had a problem with any of them when I've used them.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:23 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
I know it is something that can still be gotten...but I went to three different stores this week looking for a bottle of anise extract for some Christmas cookies I was making and not a one had it. Almond extract, banana extract, vanilla extract....all on the shelves. But none of the stores had a spot for anise extract. I have never had a problem finding this in years past, but my first time trying to find it "down south" was a bit frustrating.

Oh well...I just substituted proper anisette instead from the local liquor store

Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
An interesting substitute for this is Chinese 5 spices powder. Another is mace. It's an old spice that isn't used much anymore.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I know it is something that can still be gotten...but I went to three different stores this week looking for a bottle of anise extract for some Christmas cookies I was making and not a one had it. Almond extract, banana extract, vanilla extract....all on the shelves. But none of the stores had a spot for anise extract. I have never had a problem finding this in years past, but my first time trying to find it "down south" was a bit frustrating.

Oh well...I just substituted proper anisette instead from the local liquor store
I saw it earlier this week at Ingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte