Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you believe we are heading into a depression.
yes 72 57.60%
no 53 42.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
He posted one other article at one point, I'll have to go back and find it. If it wasn't him then I'll admit to the egg on my face with that point.

However getting back to the meat of my argument, it's not those who got themselves into credit card trouble or bought houses that they couldn't afford that I'm getting at. Again, I'll go back to you jumping on Metallisteve. Again, let's assume that he did spend a lot for his dinner. Should he not be able to, or does he need to fall in line with this "national malaise"? Every now and then I'll see someone on here or hear someone who'll say, "this place was crowded, I thought there's supposed to be a recession". Like this is a shock?

Not everyone spends out of their means. Not everyone will be brutally affected by this recession. Not everyone will lose their job and not everyone will lose their life savings, yet some on here (and in the media) act like it's a virtual certainty. Ridiculous! If you can go out for a nicer dinner that's within your budget, do so. Same thing for a big screen TV. Because if you don't, then those places (especially the local ones who you see the calls to support) wind up going under. Then those people aren't able to support the business they once used to and then they lay people off. Keeping people in business helps keep others in business. That's what I mean by "dragging this thing on longer than it needs to".
I don't disagree w/this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
Just wanted to add the one thing that will most likely be overlooked in light of the layoffs from today (and for anyone who said that every economist doesn't see any end in sight)

Bloody Monday job tally: More than 68,000 jobs lost - Jan. 26, 2009

I'll cut to the chase with my point:

Quote:
Outlook: A recovery in sight?

Brusca said he agreed with many economists' predictions that the recession will end after the second quarter of 2009.
Americans might feel the job market start to bounce back a bit sooner than expected, he said.

"These recessions are like geometry," Brusca said. "It looks like we'll have a V-shaped cycle, in that we're going into this with very sharp losses. This intense-phase recession will probably recover fairly quickly, with the job market coming out it at the same angle it came in."

In the short term, the economy and the job market are in trouble, Brusca said. But "it doesn't look like the bottom is falling out of the economy," he said.

And there's a silver lining to the gloomy clouds over America's economy.

"The good news is it's so bad right now that we will have a definite, noticeable recovery when it comes," Brusca said. "We're getting a lot of adjustment out of the way early."

Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 PM

141 posts, read 323,032 times
How many of these experts predicting a quick recovery predicted the economic fallout seen in 2008? Why should they be believed if they were unable to see the approaching train wreck? Why is this a global issue and not just contained to the US if its going to be such a mild recession? How much worthless garbage in on the books in the global banking system? Why do these banks not just mark to market all their CDS's and MBSE's and operate in an environment where their investors can informed decisions based on their balance sheets? Why is Great Britain on the verge of default? Why did Iceland come apart at the seams, and why is Ireland next?

Provide a cogent answer to these questions and I might believe we're in for a mild/moderate recession. I'm not in the breadline crowd line of thinking yet; but a prolonged global economic downturn resembling Japan's lost decade is not out of the question.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,931 times
Tall order there Sparkey. Thats seven questions in one paragraph. We're gonna need some time to get back to ya J/K

Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
How many of these experts predicting a quick recovery predicted the economic fallout seen in 2008? Why should they be believed if they were unable to see the approaching train wreck? Why is this a global issue and not just contained to the US if its going to be such a mild recession? How much worthless garbage in on the books in the global banking system? Why do these banks not just mark to market all their CDS's and MBSE's and operate in an environment where their investors can informed decisions based on their balance sheets? Why is Great Britain on the verge of default? Why did Iceland come apart at the seams, and why is Ireland next?
Why can't the Rangers get guys like Wade Redden back on their game? Why can't the Yankees put together a winning season with all of the money they spend? Why is it Starbucks has to charge as much as they do for a caramel macchiato?

WHY CAN'T I TIME MY SIDE DISHES TO ALWAYS COME OUT AT THE SAME TIME AS THE MAIN COURSE?!?!?!?!?

Questions everywhere with nary an answer in sight.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Just wanted to add the one thing that will most likely be overlooked in light of the layoffs from today (and for anyone who said that every economist doesn't see any end in sight)

Bloody Monday job tally: More than 68,000 jobs lost - Jan. 26, 2009

I'll cut to the chase with my point:

A "V" type recovery??? What did this guy predict back in '07 or '08? I'd like to hear where he was back then....

Just like the housing market, right? As soon as we hit the "bottom", things will start improving dramatically!

If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell....

Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
A "V" type recovery??? What did this guy predict back in '07 or '08? I'd like to hear where he was back then....

Just like the housing market, right? As soon as we hit the "bottom", things will start improving dramatically!

If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell....

Read the article...

Quote:
Brusca said he agreed with many economists' predictions that the recession will end after the second quarter of 2009.
It's not just him, however him falling in line with others. He's not the first one I've heard say that very same thing as well.

I like ya and I really hate to burst your dark bubble, but there are people who do see a light at the end of the tunnel. Worse (!), apparently some are seeing it starting to happen sometime this year.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM

141 posts, read 323,032 times
And many others do not.

RGE - Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor

Euro Pacific Capital : Because there's a bull market somewhere.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis

The Market Ticker

Pick your poison. Compare the predictions of these folks a year or more ago to what is happening today. Do I believe everything these folks write? No, because there are divergent opinions on where we're headed and how to head off any coming depression. You cannot make an informed decision without fully comprehending the opposing view point however.

I just don't see the excesses and bad decisions of the past 20 years (when the whole notion of a "Global Economy" really took hold) working itself out in a few short months or even a year.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 PM

236 posts, read 695,542 times

Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
How many of these experts predicting a quick recovery predicted the economic fallout seen in 2008? No one I was listening to . . . but then I decided on my own things were gonna come apart at the seams. I do my own analysis. Not that it matters, LOL.

Why should they be believed if they were unable to see the approaching train wreck? Agree

Why is this a global issue and not just contained to the US if its going to be such a mild recession? It is not a mild recession. Did someone say it was a mild recession?

How much worthless garbage in on the books in the global banking system?
Uh, no one knows. That is why we are in this mess.

Why do these banks not just mark to market all their CDS's and MBSE's and operate in an environment where their investors can informed decisions based on their balance sheets? Impossible. All this junk was bundled. No one knows what they hold.

Why is Great Britain on the verge of default? Same reason we are.

Why did Iceland come apart at the seams, and why is Ireland next? Same reason we are.

Provide a cogent answer to these questions and I might believe we're in for a mild/moderate recession. I'm not in the breadline crowd line of thinking yet; but a prolonged global economic downturn resembling Japan's lost decade is not out of the question.
Agree.

Supposedly, we have already been in this recession 14 months. We will doubtless be in it at least another 12-18 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte