Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Ani, are you really saying they should stop sports at schools? I am disappointed. Education does not always come from books. I think this is where our students are starting to fail. They don't know how to interact with others. Team sports was an excellent way of dealing with this. This can also be accomplished with Band, Chess Club, Choir, etc. And if you remove sports, you would probably remove those as well. I am not saying Sports is for everyone, but why do those who didn't play look down on it so much, are they still bitter at all the jocks? I was not a "jock", but I enjoyed what I could play. I also enjoyed other clubs I was in. It's a total experience.

I would like to see a cost breakdown for some schools, see where they really are spending their money. Compare to other schools, etc. And the revenue those things bring in. How much are we paying for non-teaching positions now?

Comparing our education system to any system but other US systems does not make sense. You can't take one piece of the puzzle out. You have to look and see how it all fits. How their schools differ, their jobs, health systems, taxes, etc. We want certain luxaries, like time with our kids. Other countries have huge unemployment, suicide rates, have other classes. For the Cubs example (and I still give you a little credit, cause you are long suffering Cubs fan as well), why are the students grades failing? Are our classes harder, is it a fish out of water situation (many times it is), has she gotten complacent.

Our school system is not perfect, we have too big of classrooms, schools aren't in great condition, people are left behind, etc. But ya know what, we still turn out a lot of great students, especially when the parents are involved. I can't recall too many one on one instances in my school past 6th grade. In college I got very little, people still seem to do ok. We want better schools, teachers wat their jobs. Let's find ways to do it, but it is not an easy fix. So let's Rally for long term solutions!
No, I am not advocating no sports programs in schools, LOL! I am just pointing out things and asking questions - food for thought.

I personally think one reason we have obesity problems (and escalating rates of juvenile diabetes) in this country is b/c Phys Ed programs have been watered down and/or eliminated. Kids need to get out and be active.

However, how much does it cost to play baseball? I mean . .. really. Or soccer. And what happened to the "boosters clubs" who raised money for uniforms and buses to take kids to after school activities? I mean - we all expect the schools to ante up for this stuff . . . and yet in many areas across this country, the onus is on the COMMUNITIES to come up w/ funds and support for the various athletic programs. You want your kid to play sports - then ante up! If you can't come up w/ the cash - volunteer in some capacity! Sell concessions as a fundraiser! Many communities do this all over the USA.

And the competitive nature of high school sports - Geeeezzzz. It is no longer something we do for our kids to gain a spirit of teamwork - it is for championships. And this has led to people lying about where they live and violating rules for even participating on a school's team. The idea is to WIN WIN WIN!!! What happened to team spirit and school spirit for your team, even if they are losers? Angry parents having fights, kids cheating on their grades to stay in the programs . . . is this what we want for team sports?

There are many ways to do things . . . but once you start taking those FEDERAL $$$ . . . it all changes.

Just something for us all to think about when it comes to budgets and the meaning of team sports.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,328 times
The people advocating taking away sports will be the sames ones complaining when their is an influx in vandalism, gang numbers and teenage driven crime in our community.

Kids want to be part of something. They will eventually find some group to be part of. Good or bad. Why not keep as many positive options as possible?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
The people advocating taking away sports will be the sames ones complaining when their is an influx in vandalism, gang numbers and teenage driven crime in our community.

Kids want to be part of something. They will eventually find some group to be part of. Good or bad. Why not keep as many positive options as possible?
Agree - but how about looking at different methods to fund those programs?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I'm sorry, I disagree completely. After all, playing a sport is simply giving license to a child to still play games long after game-playing time is ended. My oldest son played soccer and all he got out of it was a broken leg. I did not believe that he should be playing to begin with and I definitely do not believe that he should have wasted his time on this worthless activity. (he still limps because of it and he is 32!!) It did nothing for his work ethic; in fact made him lazier. Working at a job where there is a tangible result (money earned) and the prospect of loosing it if you don't work hard teaches you a lot more than playing about on a field. I have worked since I was 12, never had time for that kind of nonsense. My parents would never have allowed it (and were appalled that I allowed my son to do so) Work and education is what gets you ahead, not playing some silly game. Art & music appreciation are needed to expand cultures, but, there again, it should not interfere with a job.
Its really sad that you feel that way. I'll be the first to admit that I put the value of education way ahead of playing sports, but to refer to such activities as "nonsense" and "worthless" is, well...a rather ignorant statement.

Playing sports provides further opportunities for development of social skills, and learning how to work as part of a team. There is also a plethora of published data which suggests that kids who play sports are less likely to drink, smoke or use drugs as compared to kids who do not play sports of any kind. Kids who play sports are also much more likely to eat healthier as well. Then, of course, there is the simple benefit of actual, physical exercise - all that fancy book-learnin' is pretty much for naught if you're overweight, out of shape and looking to keel over from a heart attack by the time you're 40. And beyond that - kids should have some time to simply be kids and have some fun.

I spent 8 years playing soccer and a few more on my school's cross country and swim teams. While I would think that I owe a lot more of where I am today to those diplomas hanging on my office wall than to playing on those teams, I certainly cannot see where all of those years playing a sport was detrimental to me "getting ahead" as you put it (I've actually done very well for myself, thank you very much). When I was still back in my former home-town I even made time in my schedule to help coach a kids' soccer team for a few years, because I still see the value in it for them.

Last edited by Tober138; 03-11-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, you know what? My son has a Korean exchange student living with him this year. In Korea, she goes to school from 8 am to 10 pm 6 days a week. Since having been here with the shorter school days, her grades have plummeted and she has grow more and more lazy....
With all due respect, I don't think you can blame all of that on the "shorter school days". I'm sure her attitude has been adjusted by all of the factors in her new environment.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . if school sports are so terrific, why is it that there are so many leagues in this region which are totally separate from schools and have entrance fees and costs directly to parents?
That's an easy one my friend School teams can only accomadate so many kids per team - there are usually MANY more kids who want to play a sport than the school sports teams can handle. The sports leagues around town do a great job of making sure everyone has a place to play - WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

EVERY child benefits from being on a sports team - anyone who does not understand that is really uninformed as to the reality of what sports can do for a kid (and you know I don't mean you my dear!)

Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's an easy one my friend School teams can only accomadate so many kids per team - there are usually MANY more kids who want to play a sport than the school sports teams can handle. The sports leagues around town do a great job of making sure everyone has a place to play - WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

EVERY child benefits from being on a sports team - anyone who does not understand that is really uninformed as to the reality of what sports can do for a kid (and you know I don't mean you my dear!)
Agreed, only way I was allowed to play Soccer and Lacross.. I was not good enough otherwise.

So for those with kids, do they still charge extra fees for sports and music programs? I know I had to provide my own instrument but the school provided the pads and we paid for the uniform. (some kids got vouchers). The trips were paid for by boosters, etc. Of course we never had to go too far.

By the way how did the Rally go?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Ahhhh - as usual - you got the point I was trying to make!!!

All kids should have a chance to play! And high schools sports have become very "exclusive" and a machine that has one goal: championships!

Sports is something that every child should have access to. And I include golf and tennis in that, as well! Track and field . . . something for everyone! And this can be accomplished in ways other than teams budgeted and paid thru/ by a system's athletic fund!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ahhhh - as usual - you got the point I was trying to make!!!

All kids should have a chance to play! And high schools sports have become very "exclusive" and a machine that has one goal: championships!

Sports is something that every child should have access to. And I include golf and tennis in that, as well! Track and field . . . something for everyone! And this can be accomplished in ways other than teams budgeted and paid thru/ by a system's athletic fund!
I remember trying out for the basketball team when I was in HS. We were a part of a combined team with another high school. Apparently the coach was from the other HS, so he chose all the students from his HS.
I didn't think that was very fair. Guess it's politics everywhere lol.
And even if I wasn't good enough, I thought I should have been able to play on a team, where else would you get these opportunities other than in school ya know?

I remember gym class in HS was such a joke. By the time we changed, we would have less than 30 minutes left for actually exercise. It was too bad.

Does anyone know what costs are associated with sports? Are they really that expensive. If so, why?
Don't kids just need a ball and some grass for most sports?

There's even ultimate frisbee. Did you guys ever play that? In college, my friends and I used to play it all the time. Awesome exercise and all you need is a one dollar frisbee and some sticks to designate where the goal is.

Just keep it simple!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I remember trying out for the basketball team when I was in HS. We were a part of a combined team with another high school. Apparently the coach was from the other HS, so he chose all the students from his HS.
I didn't think that was very fair. Guess it's politics everywhere lol.
And even if I wasn't good enough, I thought I should have been able to play on a team, where else would you get these opportunities other than in school ya know?

I remember gym class in HS was such a joke. By the time we changed, we would have less than 30 minutes left for actually exercise. It was too bad.

Does anyone know what costs are associated with sports? Are they really that expensive. If so, why?
Don't kids just need a ball and some grass for most sports?

There's even ultimate frisbee. Did you guys ever play that? In college, my friends and I used to play it all the time. Awesome exercise and all you need is a one dollar frisbee and some sticks to designate where the goal is.

Just keep it simple!
You bring up EXCELLENT points! And I wish to add that if I were in charge of things (Superintendent for a Day!!!!) there would be Yoga and Tai Chi wh/ the whole school could join in and count as PE. And what a helpful lifelong skill this would be!!! And what about dance? And I don't mean - ballet (altho that would be great). I mean - Latin Dances, Hip Hop, whatever!!!!

We are too oriented to putting kids in boxes w/ sports that are only geared towards WINNING!!!! The goal should be HEALTH!

Okay - I could go off on a rant here . . . but won't. And I suspect there would hardly be one parent who wouldn't agree with me that such things as Yoga and Tai Chi and dancing would be a wonderful way to keep their kids active and excited about physical activity at school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte