Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
UCMer? Hmmmm.... Of all the words I can put with those initials, I don't think any of them are what you mean. I'm going to go with...uh....????
It's a lot less exciting than it sounds.

I thought I recognized you, I've noticed some cross-memberships here.

Sent you a DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!! So you were the one w/ the messed up meter!!! Did you see the coupons Saralee posted?? Can you use any of them???
Still available ...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Don't anyone go poking fun at me (unless you absolutely must) ...

We have hanging pots of begonias and petunias on the porch. Took the plants down to water today and this is what I found -

There were nests in BOTH begonias. I have never, ever seen a nest with eggs before - and neither had DH or my boys. C'mon, we're from Jersey, what did you expect?

The nests and eggs were perfectly shaped. Looked fake to me. I briefly thought DH had planted them in there to humour me or something.

While I didn't touch either nest, I had already watered the plants and was worried the Momma might not return since I had disturbed things. We hung the pots back up and my boys initially couldn't be convinced to stop hanging around, waiting to see what would happen.

They must have waited inside my walk-in closet for 30 mins or longer (where there is a perfect view of front porch) before the Momma bird returned. We never actually spotted her on top of the nests but she did spend time on the rim of the potted plants.

I'm eager to see what happens next. I know NOTHING about this sort of thing and I'm wondering if we'll actually be around when the birds hatch.

I'm sort of apprehensive about even watering the plants again! Wondering if they should be sacraficed now for the sake of the nests that lay inside.
The same thing happened to us last year, in our hanging basket of impatiens. I stopped watering, thinking I'd flood the nest. The thing is, though, the plant died and left the nest exposed. The eggs hatched, and we had baby birds for a few days, and then they were gone. I can't imagine they were big enough to fly away, so...
I have another nest in them this year, and I'm trying to water just around the edges so as to not flood the nest but still allow them cover.
Maybe someone else has expert advice, but that's what I'm going to do. Good luck to you and your eggs!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
I have a birds nest in one of my hanging ferns and I believe the other two will have some soon. The one nest has 5 eggs, real pretty baby blue with brown speckles, parents are Purple Finches. I take the ferns down once a week for water and just be careful of the nest. Once the babies hatch they fly away in about 12 to 14 days.

We thought the same thing when we first moved in that the babies didn't make it as they were too young to fly away but it happens quick. One of the best experiences DH and I had was a Cardinal nest in our Holly bush. We kept track of the days and one of the 3 babies was on top of the bush and DH said I bet today they are going to fly away. We caught the last one on top of the bush as mama was calling it down. It jumped from the top and didn't make quite a crash landing. Mama would stay about 5 feet away and keep calling the baby towards her teaching baby how to fly. It was one of the most beautiful things that we ever saw. So keep your eye on them.

They little Mocking bird babies we saved didn't make it.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 AM

197 posts, read 485,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!! So you were the one w/ the messed up meter!!! Did you see the coupons Saralee posted?? Can you use any of them???
Well, I can't say that I can't use them...but my insurance company buys me a new meter every year. I would rather they go to someone that really needs them. Maybe an elderly neighbor or someone at church.....?

Edit: P.S. Good morning everyone!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm going to take everyone's advice and just proceed carefully with watering. Guess I'll completely stop my youngest chap from doing so. His peference is to stand over top of plant and shower down on top of the flowers as opposed to gently watering at the base.

I took the pictures with my Blackberry - I'm still impressed at the clarity. They print well too.

Ani, just last weekend I attended a banquet where many guests are from a "science of mind" based religion. I don't knnow what it's called specifically - sorry. I was the guest of a guest. Anyway, a very young man in attendance who proclaims to see auras and prophesizes, etc approached me. He was very mild mannered, nice, cute kid - found out he is 20-year-old.

I extended my hand to him in greeting and he pulled me aside. Now, Ani, I'ma natural born skeptic however, I work at keeping an open mind and I accept that there are many aspects of the world that are "beyond" me.

Anyway, he commented on me as an individual and was very on target with A LOT of his remarks - even though we didn't engage in conversation and no one in attendance knew me personally. And some of his emaks were very personal and extremely accurate. He asked me if I had any questions for him - I had none. For starters, I wasn't prepared for the experience. Two, I didn't want to begin "leading" him. And finally, it would've felt very silly of me to begin asking the questions I imagine most people delve into: love, money and work.

Well, he only said one thing that caught me off guard and planted seeds of doubt. He asked me was I moving. Now, while "moving" is a constant theme around here and had been the night before the banquet, we have no real plan. It's just sort of one of those running conversations about what we'll get in the next house, that we missed out on in this house. But truly, we love our home and community. And we've been here less than 3 years! (Honestly, I'm more open to the idea because my spirit has a hard time settling but my husband's remark was if I want to move, he'll help me find a place because he's staying behind.)

This gentleman proceeded to say that he was 100% sure that I'd move within the next year - now how is that for cocky?! Then, the bombshell. We'd be moving out-of-state. Oh no! Not possible! While I envision a possible move darnit, it's supposed to be within Union, Cabarrus or if I get a little bolder and crazier, my beloved Anson.

My kids are so comfortable here. We already have three older children in two different states. We can't complicate this any further!

So there you go. That was my recent prophecy - or part of it.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:23 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
[http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.c...t/jukebox.php]

A little song dedication for Ani, #9 Fortune Teller.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Enjoyed your post.

Reminds me of a new country song I really like:

'God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy'.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Enjoyed your post.

Reminds me of a new country song I really like:

'God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy'.

Or "My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus".

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
I'm going to take everyone's advice and just proceed carefully with watering. Guess I'll completely stop my youngest chap from doing so. His peference is to stand over top of plant and shower down on top of the flowers as opposed to gently watering at the base.

I took the pictures with my Blackberry - I'm still impressed at the clarity. They print well too.

Ani, just last weekend I attended a banquet where many guests are from a "science of mind" based religion. I don't knnow what it's called specifically - sorry. I was the guest of a guest. Anyway, a very young man in attendance who proclaims to see auras and prophesizes, etc approached me. He was very mild mannered, nice, cute kid - found out he is 20-year-old.

I extended my hand to him in greeting and he pulled me aside. Now, Ani, I'ma natural born skeptic however, I work at keeping an open mind and I accept that there are many aspects of the world that are "beyond" me.

Anyway, he commented on me as an individual and was very on target with A LOT of his remarks - even though we didn't engage in conversation and no one in attendance knew me personally. And some of his emaks were very personal and extremely accurate. He asked me if I had any questions for him - I had none. For starters, I wasn't prepared for the experience. Two, I didn't want to begin "leading" him. And finally, it would've felt very silly of me to begin asking the questions I imagine most people delve into: love, money and work.

Well, he only said one thing that caught me off guard and planted seeds of doubt. He asked me was I moving. Now, while "moving" is a constant theme around here and had been the night before the banquet, we have no real plan. It's just sort of one of those running conversations about what we'll get in the next house, that we missed out on in this house. But truly, we love our home and community. And we've been here less than 3 years! (Honestly, I'm more open to the idea because my spirit has a hard time settling but my husband's remark was if I want to move, he'll help me find a place because he's staying behind.)

This gentleman proceeded to say that he was 100% sure that I'd move within the next year - now how is that for cocky?! Then, the bombshell. We'd be moving out-of-state. Oh no! Not possible! While I envision a possible move darnit, it's supposed to be within Union, Cabarrus or if I get a little bolder and crazier, my beloved Anson.

My kids are so comfortable here. We already have three older children in two different states. We can't complicate this any further!

Hmmmmmm. Well, he obviously felt very confident about what he was seeing/feeling.

I don't "feel" you going anywhere, LOL! I do see a parent (yours or inlaws) making a change in living situation - wh/ will be surprising to all. This could be a parent or an Aunt or Uncle - but in the generation "above" yours. But as far as you . . . nope. Don't see it. Of course, that doesn't mean much, LOL. I don't guarantee my "feelings" are ever very accurate - I just throw them out there. Sometimes, they are helpful in connecting dots - sometimes they are just plain goofy sounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte