Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Job hunters, some people from Raleigh have been trying to poach for a contract to hire job (I can't take it coz I just moved to Denver). It would be technical/production support with unix/perl scripting.

Let me know if you know anyone interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
You're right Ani...it's a double-edged sword. Do we perfect the definition of "ad nauseam" and prevent the pile up of unemployed...or do we keep our own piece of mind and rely on people's intelligence to make their best decision? I don't know. Intelligent folks do exist...if I may humbly say so...we moved up here with jobs in hand. And to be honest, I can't stomach the thought of doing it any other way. A savings account, a wing, and a prayer are all finite resources that have the uncanny ability to run out when needed most!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
You're right Ani...it's a double-edged sword. Do we perfect the definition of "ad nauseam" and prevent the pile up of unemployed...or do we keep our own piece of mind and rely on people's intelligence to make their best decision? I don't know. Intelligent folks do exist...if I may humbly say so...we moved up here with jobs in hand. And to be honest, I can't stomach the thought of doing it any other way. A savings account, a wing, and a prayer are all finite resources that have the uncanny ability to run out when needed most!
LOL! Yes, a wing and a prayer (even w/ substantial savings in hand!) isn't the best planning. As we all know - it wasn't that big of a deal in 2004. But this isn't 2004, that's for sure.

My parents were discussing this situation on Saturday. My Dad is hearing the same things - people moving here without jobs - STILL!! He is in Mooresville. He said there has been a phenomenon - people are gassing up their cars and they stop and look for work whenever the tank of gas runs out (or the money for gas runs out). Now I had never heard this before! But evidently, it really is happening cause my Dad heard this from a man who owns a manufacturing company in the Mooresville area!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 45,210 times
Blah, all this unemployment rate is unfortunate to hear. I really want to get out of ****tsburgh, PA next year or at least in 2011.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
I tell folks this ALL THE TIME - problem is that I don't think they are listening!

Live in Columbus OH area and when I open my mouth (Southern accent I get loads of questions regarding wanting info on Charlotte, Triangle & Atlanta areas. Mostly wait staff in restuarants and sales associates in retail, etc. I tell them of friends and family in the South that are unemployed or people they know that are unemployed and not to move without jobs - but I think I might as well be talking to a wall.

I think our unemployment rate here in central OH isn't that bad and IMO this is a great place to live - but everyone still wants to be South.

Promise I will keep trying to convince folks to stay put

Gemini

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
......But I am tired of beating this horse b/c inevitably, when I post info about jobs being scarce, those contemplating moving here say I am being unwelcoming.
That's OK, Ani - you are not alone. I pretty much don't bother anymore.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL! Yes, a wing and a prayer (even w/ substantial savings in hand!) isn't the best planning. As we all know - it wasn't that big of a deal in 2004. But this isn't 2004, that's for sure.

My parents were discussing this situation on Saturday. My Dad is hearing the same things - people moving here without jobs - STILL!! He is in Mooresville. He said there has been a phenomenon - people are gassing up their cars and they stop and look for work whenever the tank of gas runs out (or the money for gas runs out). Now I had never heard this before! But evidently, it really is happening cause my Dad heard this from a man who owns a manufacturing company in the Mooresville area!
That used to be the story about people coming from WVa - a tank of gas gets them to Statesville..... My students from there tell me that's how they landed here

Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
That used to be the story about people coming from WVa - a tank of gas gets them to Statesville..... My students from there tell me that's how they landed here
OMGosh, Mary. I wasn't gonna say it!!!! Cause I figured someone would think I was putting down WV. But that is EXACTLY what I was told. That people from WVa were loading up and coming here and they could make it usually about as far as Troutman/Mooresville on a tank of gas!!!

I will tell my dad that he is not the only person who has been told this!!! We actually looked at a map and agreed - yep - a tank of gas would get you somewhere around M'ville from WV!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM

61 posts, read 111,370 times
Quote:
We have posted about this over and over, but people still come, making the situation WORSE. This is truly putting a strain on our infrastructure here. The hope is to get people to STOP COMING w/o a job as their eventual unemoployment and need for social services is already impacting our food banks, homeless shelters, public health services, etc. We can't take care of the citizens who have been in need and lived here all their lives w/ budget cuts and added demand from newcomers.

It is a serious problem! And all it is doing is making it more difficult for people to land a job.
This is so true. Many natives Charlotteans and others who have lived here for years are finding the employment situation very volatile right now and the newcomers driving in with their U-Hauls and no secured employment add to the stress. It's not a good situation at all and getting worse. Something got to give soon. I feel for everybody across the nation looking for honest work to support themselves and their families. I just wish people would be a little more focused and work a plan/strategy - you don't need money to do that, just time, some decent research and planning skills. Like one poster stated, in today's current job environment "a wing and a prayer" is not enough.

Last edited by runninginheels; 04-07-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Thank you, runninginheels for bringing this to the forefront. This is not a pleasant subject, but, one that needs to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte