Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,455,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Abandoned stores in Indian Trail, many many homes for sale, large parcels of property, next to farms with for sale signs placed on them. You would drive and see what looked like abandonment, only to come across a subdivision that looked like it didn't belong where it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindygirl View Post
Well, common sense dictates that I was not blaming Charlotte for my hotel room. Given the fact that a realtor had posted this question, I was just giving another point of view that may help in making a transition a bit more comfortable. Secondly, a better life is a better life. There is no definition for this. What is better for me may not be better for you and vice versa. Peoples views on lifes expectations differ and I think many people would know what someone is saying when they say a "better life." Anyone that would question this is just "nit picking." I guess your right, Long Island isn't really that bad -- you just have to leave to appreciate what you have. As far as the vacant store fronts, I did point out that the economy is bad everywhere, but what I did notice is that while there are many vacant store fronts, there is also new store fronts being built not too far away. How many vacant stores, both old and new will be seen in the Indian Trail, Waxhaw area? Yes, your right, I do not plan on coming down anytime soon, but I did want to see what the "hype" was all about. I'm sure people who are looking to relocate to the area will have no problem doing so with so many homes to choose from, like the stores, both old and new.
To be fair Indian Trail and Waxhaw are not in Charlotte nor Mecklenburg county. They are small towns in a formerly rural county that have become a hot bed for developers in the last decade or so. I'm not knocking your opinion, just wanted to clarify this for others who may be thinking of relocating.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
My two daughters (12 and 14) and I just returned from a trip to Charlotte. We were thinking of relocating there from Long Island. We were doing so because we thought it would offer us a better life. We would sell our home here and purchase a home there and have a very small mortgage. We would pay off our bills and hopefully live a more relaxed lifestyle. My husband is a retired New York City police officer, so we thought it would give us a chance to enjoy retirement while our girls would have a chance at going to a new school in a more relaxed atmosphere. When we arrived, we couldn't believe what we saw. Abandoned stores in Indian Trail, many many homes for sale, large parcels of property, next to farms with for sale signs placed on them. You would drive and see what looked like abandonment, only to come across a subdivision that looked like it didn't belong where it was. We felt frowned upon for being "yankees" and I can see why. It seems that many of the people there are from the north, but they looked miserable. They were riding in their big fancy cars and driving up to their mansions with the for sale signs on their lawns. I guess with so many homes for sale, many people are stuck with what they have. I know the economy is bad everywhere, but after seeing what we saw, we got back in the car and drove home. I know there is good and bad in every area, but there was nothing that made me want to look further. Even the new shopping center looked like a ghost town. I'm sure with time it will fill up, but I don't want to risk making the wrong move. Also, our motel room was horrible. Maybe the local real estate agents can work something out with a nice hotel/motel in the area -- possibly give potential home buyers a discount in exchange for a clean room in a reputable hotel. Sometimes with the right accomodations, people are more willing to trust their real estate agents and a good nights sleep may put potential buyers in a better frame of mind. Many people come to Charlotte knowing nothing at all, and maybe the first place to start is with the proper accommodations. Just giving you my point of view--
Did you even see Charlotte - or did you just go straight to Union County becasue that's where you've been told all the yankees go??

What a SHAME to have come all that way and not really seen what the area is all about. You missed out on so much if all you saw was Indian Trail!!! If I had done the same as you, I too would be back up north wondering what all the hype was about. Next time, if there is a next time, get some help with directions on where to go and what to really do to "see" the city and surrounding areas.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Well, common sense dictates that I was not blaming Charlotte for my hotel room. Given the fact that a realtor had posted this question, I was just giving another point of view that may help in making a transition a bit more comfortable. Secondly, a better life is a better life. There is no definition for this. What is better for me may not be better for you and vice versa. Peoples views on lifes expectations differ and I think many people would know what someone is saying when they say a "better life." Anyone that would question this is just "nit picking." I guess your right, Long Island isn't really that bad -- you just have to leave to appreciate what you have. As far as the vacant store fronts, I did point out that the economy is bad everywhere, but what I did notice is that while there are many vacant store fronts, there is also new store fronts being built not too far away. How many vacant stores, both old and new will be seen in the Indian Trail, Waxhaw area? Yes, your right, I do not plan on coming down anytime soon, but I did want to see what the "hype" was all about. I'm sure people who are looking to relocate to the area will have no problem doing so with so many homes to choose from, like the stores, both old and new.
Sorry I didn't use my "common sense"
Sorry I asked "what's a better life"
Sorry all you saw was Indian Trail
Have a good day.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
My two daughters (12 and 14) and I just returned from a trip to Charlotte. We were thinking of relocating there from Long Island. We were doing so because we thought it would offer us a better life. We would sell our home here and purchase a home there and have a very small mortgage. We would pay off our bills and hopefully live a more relaxed lifestyle. My husband is a retired New York City police officer, so we thought it would give us a chance to enjoy retirement while our girls would have a chance at going to a new school in a more relaxed atmosphere. When we arrived, we couldn't believe what we saw. Abandoned stores in Indian Trail, many many homes for sale, large parcels of property, next to farms with for sale signs placed on them. You would drive and see what looked like abandonment, only to come across a subdivision that looked like it didn't belong where it was. We felt frowned upon for being "yankees" and I can see why. It seems that many of the people there are from the north, but they looked miserable. They were riding in their big fancy cars and driving up to their mansions with the for sale signs on their lawns. I guess with so many homes for sale, many people are stuck with what they have. I know the economy is bad everywhere, but after seeing what we saw, we got back in the car and drove home. I know there is good and bad in every area, but there was nothing that made me want to look further. Even the new shopping center looked like a ghost town. I'm sure with time it will fill up, but I don't want to risk making the wrong move. Also, our motel room was horrible. Maybe the local real estate agents can work something out with a nice hotel/motel in the area -- possibly give potential home buyers a discount in exchange for a clean room in a reputable hotel. Sometimes with the right accomodations, people are more willing to trust their real estate agents and a good nights sleep may put potential buyers in a better frame of mind. Many people come to Charlotte knowing nothing at all, and maybe the first place to start is with the proper accommodations. Just giving you my point of view--
This is not the first time we have heard exclamations of horror from LI residents. So it appears whatever you all have going for you on LI, it must not be very compatible w/ our area. You should post this on the NY board - as a warning to others thinking about moving here. Kind of a public service announcement.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM

158 posts, read 543,826 times
If I may offer my opinion, even though I am not moving to Charlotte, but already moved here last summer.

Before moving, my expectations were to find a "better life" - for me it meant less stressful life, and yes - I found what I was looking for. It took me 3 times as much time as expeced to find a job, but I love it - best job I ever had, and a short drive from home. My expectations included buying a house, but I spent almost all my savings and then some, while looking for a job, so no house for me in the nearest future - but I don't care. I love my appartment, and area I live in, I travel almost every weekend visiting nearby places and the weather is NICE. I love it here! Will never ever go back to the maddness of NYC. It took me almost two months of living here to get rid of "always rushing somewhere" sindrome I carried for years.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,497,852 times
I'm trying to think of how to say this without sounding trite or rude, because that it not my intent. Here goes...

It is okay if you have decided that the area is not for you. You came down, visited a small part of the general area, and decided it wasn't the right fit. After all, we all have to do what's right for us and for our families.

However, I will agree with the other posters who have pointed out that you only saw a small portion of our area. For me, it is a shame that you didn't get to experience all that Charlotte has to offer. If you ever come back to our city to visit, I hope you'll post here so we can suggest places for you to check out. Though I really hate that Charlotte is being "hyped" by anyone, if you visited again you'd learn that there's a lot more to the region than what you saw.

Good luck to you as you investigate other areas for your possible relo.

Quote:

Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Sorry I didn't use my "common sense"
Sorry I asked "what's a better life"
Sorry all you saw was Indian Trail
Have a good day.
John, that's the typical rudeness I've encountered w/ many New Yorkers...I don't think it's a big loss if she doesn't end up moving here. Funny, they would think Union County or Indian Trail is the image anyone would have of Charlotte.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
If I may offer my opinion, even though I am not moving to Charlotte, but already moved here last summer.

Before moving, my expectations were to find a "better life" - for me it meant less stressful life, and yes - I found what I was looking for. It took me 3 times as much time as expeced to find a job, but I love it - best job I ever had, and a short drive from home. My expectations included buying a house, but I spent almost all my savings and then some, while looking for a job, so no house for me in the nearest future - but I don't care. I love my appartment, and area I live in, I travel almost every weekend visiting nearby places and the weather is NICE. I love it here! Will never ever go back to the maddness of NYC. It took me almost two months of living here to get rid of "always rushing somewhere" sindrome I carried for years.
I'm glad you have made it here, and are enjoying living here...I definitely understand the house buying issue, but at least you had a decent amount of savings to get through that year.
I would suggest to someone moving here w/out a job, have more than a year's worth of savings built up, b/c I doubt we see a turnaround in our employment situation for quite some time...I know, I've cut my spending way down to try and build up my savings too just in case.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 89,099 times
Another transplant from the northern climes....moved here three years ago from southern NJ. I came hoping to buy a house, but used all of my savings on living expenses for the first several months. My apartment is still bigger, better and less expensive than anything I could find in NJ.

No one will look at a resume from someone who doesn't have a NC address, even three years ago, so I came here jobless. I guess you would call me an "office administrator" - whatever that is. I'm handy with a computer, think on my feet, am dependable, etc. I have a nice job now, but doesn't pay all that much.

People still ask me "Are you glad you moved to Charlotte? Would you ever go back to NJ?" The answer is a definite "yes" to the first and "no" to the second. I guess I like the weather better than anything. Anyone who has experienced the cold, damp, windy winters in Cape May County will know what I mean. When I go back to visit, I'm still shocked by how cold it is. I think it's the dampness that accentuates it.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,232 times
Wink Bad neighborhoods in Charlotte ?

There are no bad neighborhoods in Charlotte? Only a few bad people who live there. I grew up here and many things have changed over the years but there are plenty or decent places to live here in the Charlotte metro area.
You might consider hiring a Realtor as this is our area of expertise..This is the best time to buy a home in the history of the country, you will never get a better deal than right now. Charlotte is and will continue to be the place where you can rely on the local economy and southern hospitality to make you feel always welcome..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte