Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 AM

299 posts, read 1,071,879 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're being relocated to the Charlotte area, more specifically around Matthews. I have a number of questions I am hoping everyone might be able to help me with.

I am trying to understand how property taxes are figured.

2008 Tax Rates (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Tax+Collections/Tax+Rates/2008TaxRates.htm - broken link)

This link really confused me. What are ad valorem taxes? Why would Mecklenburg County be collecting taxes for residents of Matthews, which is in Union County?

Also, could someone tell me what the sales tax rates are in Mecklenburg and Union counties?

Is there a local income tax? (I ask because we DO pay local income tax here in Ohio.)

What does it cost to register vehicles in North Carolina?

If we were to live in South Carolina but all of out income is earned in North Carolina, does SC get any kind of income tax from us somehow? ie. a local or regional income tax?

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,270 times
Part of Matthews is in Union County & part is in Mecklenburg. There are some neighborhoods that are split in half and therefore your next door neighbor might pay different taxes than you & go to different schools. I know this, because we almost bought a house in a neighborhood that was split.

Here is a cool website I found for property tax rate comparison. You can put in the purchase price of the home & it will calculate what your taxes would be in various areas for comparison.

Welcome to Carolina Select Realty, Realtor Charlotte, Charlotte NC MLS

Sales tax is 6.75% in Union County & 7.25% in Mecklenburg County. I believe there are additional taxes on prepared food.

Here is a link for all sales tax rates in NC:

Current Sales and Use Tax Rates as of April 1, 2008

I think if you live in a different state than you work in, you will have to file state returns for both states, but they will offset each other & you will end up getting back money from one of the states.

Here is a link with information about driver's licenses and registering vehicles in NC:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 AM

61 posts, read 111,370 times
You have to get your car emission system inspected yearly in the state of NC and I believe the fee is $30. You will also have to pay $30 (I think)yearly for your vehicle registration and you will have to pay property taxes on your vehicle yearly. They will asset your vehicle at the highest value to get the most property taxes unless you dispute it!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 AM

Very useful links!! Thank you so much! I bookmarked them so that I can refer back to them when I am house-shopping. And thank you also for the info about the DMV. I wondered why registration fees were so low.... now I know. They get you for emissions and TAX??? Geesh. I didn't know some states did that.

I'm still not sure I understand living in one state and working in another. Why would I file an income tax return in SC if all of my income is earned in NC? Can SC tax me on that income? I've had to file in 2 states before, and the tax was calculated based on what percentage of income was earned in each state. But in a situation like this, 100% is earned in 1 state, 0% in the other.....?

I appreciate the help answering my questions. It will help me to make informed decisions.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Matthews is in Mecklenburg county. There are Union county homes with a Matthews address but they are not in Matthews proper. They receive mail through the Matthews post office and therefore have a Matthews address but the entire city is in Mecklenburg county.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Boy, this is sure confusing!! LOL.

I am sure once I get a chance to fly down there and start looking at the area, I will have a better understanding.

Thanks for the info

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,936 times
I'm still a fan of this thread, it's kinda the shotgun approach to answering the OP's request:

Index of Charlotte - Links to Key Relocation Topics & Cities/Communities! & Events

Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,270 times
I found an example of this situation on another website. Maybe this will explain it for you.

Living in one state while commuting daily to work in another state.
It may happen that you live in one state while you go to work in a different state. A common example is you live in New Jersey and work in New York. You commute daily from NJ to NY. For NY you are nonresident and NJ is your tax home. You must file NY tax return as nonresident and report income earned while in NY. You must file NJ return as full year resident and report your world wide income for the year including NY income. On the NJ return, claim credit for taxes paid to NY.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Excellent link Mystery. Thank you. But now I'm freaking out about giant cockroaches! I always told my husband I would not let his company transfer us to Texas because of giant flying cockroaches. I am disappointed to hear you have them in NC too.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 AM

As far as the taxes, though.... Presuming all of you income is earned in NC but you live in SC and you file in BOTH states, are you being taxed MORE than you would be if you lived and worked in the same state? Or does your "credit" for taxes paid to another state balance it out so that you don't have to pay any taxes in the state where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte