Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Yonder is used by my in-laws. They have lived here for many generations. I like to use it when goofing around with clients when we are driving around.
My grandmother used the word "yonder" all the time. She was born in 1891 and lived her entire life in North Carolina. There were so many expressions she used that had pretty much disappeared from use (except for her generation) even when I was growing up. "Well I swanny!" was one of my favorites. There was also something she said a lot that I never quite figured out. It sounded like "What in the dinah?!" It meant "what the heck is that?" Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDWTM View Post
Also, my parents are originally from New York, so when I was a kid and they would say, "sneakers" in front of my friends, I would get soooo embarrassed, because all of my buddies would always make fun of my parents for calling tennis shoes "sneakers." LOL
How about toboggan? When I was growing up, a toboggan was something one wears on their head in the winter to keep warm. Then I moved out west and found people didn't know what I was talking about. "You want to put a sled on your head?"

Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 AM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
Local slang. That's one reason I LOVE to travel. Being a military brat, I've done my share of moving around. I've lived on the east coast, the west coast, the mid west, the central plains, and a few years in southern TX. My mom is from the mountains of NC and my Dad is from Indiana. My hubby is from PA. I've grown up with y'all, Say Hey, Sneakers, Tennis shoes, soda, pop, coke, all Y'all, yuzins, totally!, Outen the light, toboggan, THONGS (flip flops), etc. The list goes on and on. Some people think I'm from the south, some can pick up my midwestern accent. My SIL, a native "valley girl" and someone that constantly says "You betcha!" and "Jeez Louise", thinks everyone east of the California border wears Bib Overalls! A former boss of mine from Philly, asked me why southerners all sound so retarded. Now THAT was professional!

You don't have to use the local slang but it helps to understand it. I love hearing new accents and learning new customs. I tease my husband about his sneakers and he wonders why I have tennis shoes when I don't play tennis.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Sneakers or tennis shoes.

I know them as trainers!!!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM

At one time my hubby had V-ball shoes, tennis shoes, court shoes, running shoes, work out shoes and when he bought a new pair, the old ones turned into YARD shoes. I called them all tennis shoes just to irritate him while I ran around in my KEDS. lol

Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM

105 posts, read 244,042 times
Thumbs up More on local-speak

[quote=baggleflap;529879]Local slang. That's one reason I LOVE to travel. Being a military brat, I've done my share of moving around. I've lived on the east coast, the west coast, the mid west, the central plains, and a few years in southern TX.

ROFLMAO, Baggleflap - I too am a "brat" - so I, like, TOTALLY understand where ya'll are comin' from - GNARLY, DUDE!
"Outen the light" sounds like something the French folks up here in Maine would say, dontcha' know, ayuh!
As a former Californian, I know your "thongs"- I lived in mine! In Hawaii, they are "rubbah slippas" & you can buy them from the racks at the local grocery store (very handy when you're taking your child to school & realize that they have lost one!).
The first time I heard of a "bubbler" was when I worked in an office in RI - one of our girls always used it - I assumed it was a New England thing. I'm in trouble with the soder thing, as I'm a Pepsi-holic ("soder" - blast those out-of-place, New England "R"s!!!).

Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
[quote=Aulani;533237][quote=baggleflap;529879]
As a former Californian, I know your "thongs"- I lived in mine! In Hawaii, they are "rubbah slippas" & you can buy them from the racks at the local grocery store (very handy when you're taking your child to school & realize that they have lost one!).
QUOTE]

How crazy is it that some companies take those $3.00 "rubbah slippas", slap a name like "crocs athens" on them, and charge 30 bucks for them???
I know, this has nothing to do with Charlotte, just had to vent...

Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM

[quote=Aulani; ROFLMAO, Baggleflap - I too am a "brat" - so I, like, [I]TOTALLY[/i] understand where ya'll are comin' from - GNARLY, DUDE! QUOTE]

LOL, you are too funny!

BTW "outen the light" is a Pennsylvania Dutch phrase or so my MIL tells me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: