Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

Might be refreshing for a change to hear about the job you got and how you did it.

How long were you out? Was there a Eureka! moment?

Change careers? City? Lucky? Had an in? Started your biz?

Pls. share with those that are getting very fustrated in their job search.

Have a great day,
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I guess I got lucky in being able to transfer here. My wife and I are doing the same jobs we did in DC.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
I got lucky, when my contracted ended back in Feb 08, I found something before my contract ended. I was able to start about a week after my end date.

My husband, it took about 6 months to find something. He found the position through dice.com.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 AM

457 posts, read 1,377,772 times
I was employed with a global consulting company in NYC and requested a transfer to Charlotte almost 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I lost that job last August, yea almost 1 year of being unemployed..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
I had to dance for the hiring managers.. The initially said no, but then my new music came on and I secured the job!.

- Actually mine was pretty basic, applied on-line, interviewed, interviewed, interviewed, offer, negotiations, counter-offer, acceptance. 3 years later still here.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Except for one PT job in college, every job (10+) I have had came to be through networking, who I knew, friend of a friend, etc.

IMHO, your network is the most valuable thing you have.
It also helps to have a wide skill set, vs narrow focus, or at least be able to embrace change and quickly adapt.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Might be refreshing for a change to hear about the job you got and how you did it.

How long were you out? Was there a Eureka! moment?

Change careers? City? Lucky? Had an in? Started your biz?

Pls. share with those that are getting very fustrated in their job search.

Have a great day,
je
The key for us was finally making the decision to go outside the Carolinas and Virginia for opportunities. Ideally those are the only 3 states I'd ever live in again. But with the recession and glut of people here in my husbands profession there were just no acceptable opportunities for a solid year.

So...as most of you know, we're off to upstate NY for a few years. Not that the economy there is any better than here, there just happened to be a government contract job requiring very specific experience and knowledge that apparently no one up there has, and that my husband does. He didn't go after them, they came after him and recruited him heavily. Having a stellar reputation and people who will vouch for you can go a long way in securing opportunities. Build a network folks!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,499 times
I just got online and looked for jobs in my field and applied. This was two years ago. They flew me out for an interview and a few weeks later they hired me. The whole process took about 2 months. I am in the HealthCare software industry. We are still hiring and will be hiring more, if you are in this field.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
My DH transferred here with a building supply company that had multiple operations in NC. Since 2006 they have shut down at least 3 NC locations including the Union County location he was transferred to and 1 Charlotte site. They have also shut down numerous operations across the country, including the site DH transferred from in Jersey. He's now at the remaining Charlotte site and he just made it through the 2nd round of layoffs this year. They let go 38% of the force last month. Ironically, quite a few were brought back immediately as temps because the company cut themselves off at the knees. (Painful experience to see men forced back at considerably less pay, with no benefits, backbreaking labor at that!) There was an absolutely "no overtime" order sent down from corporate effective May 2009 yet OT became necessary to fulfill orders after the last layoff.

DH also works 2 part-time jobs, which keeps him working 7 days/week. He is constantly inquiring of people about openings, grabs opportunities everywhere we go. He's got a strong work ethic, strong backbone, a lot of pride and he's frequently willing to do work many won't consider.

I work PT for a city owned operation, in a position I pursued for almost 2 years. They employ more than 200 people, vast majority PT. In fact, my supervisor just quit and the job was split into 2 PT positions - which disappointed a lot of people. I have fun at my job, enjoy the people I encounter, couldn't envision myself in this field back in Jersey. It's "lightweight" compared what I'm used to and my grandmother was a bit surprised/disappointed when I told her how much (or how little) money I'm making! But alas, it's convenient, flexible, visible, I have some interesting benefits and it's basically just works for my family.

I've accepted that I'm not going to be able to gain employment similar to what I've had in the past in regards to salary or prestige unless I complete my graduate degree or otherwise get additional training and education and change career fields. I'm considering the posibilities.

I won't be in this position for a lifetime and maybe not even a year from now. But it brings money to the table and it's reassured me that I can help my DH provide for our family. It's also helping to fill in the gaping holes in my resume!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
I have always posted my resume online on monster.com, and continually update it as needed. It just so happened that the guy who had this position before me wanted to retire early (at age 45!) and they couldn't find any internal candidates. So, when they posted this job, I got a match hit for my monster.com profile. I sent in my response, followed-up with my resume, and was called to come to Charlotte a few weeks later for an interview. Everything went as well as could be expected, and then suddenly I got the word that the budget had been cut and the position eliminated. About six months later, I get an email asking if I'm still interested, since a new budget has allowed them to repost the position. This time I interviewed again, and had an offer letter that same week. I commuted from Jamestown, NC to Charlotte while the house there was on the market. Fortunately, it sold in a reasonable amount of time.

For my second job, I started with craigslist.com. There aren't a whole lot of viable part-time jobs listed, but there are a few here and there. I also spent time applying online to various places that I felt might offer good part-time job opportunities that wouldn't interfere with my regular job. I was going to apply for a job delivering pizza, but from what I was hearing those jobs aren't paying very well. That's when I contacted the Charlotte Observer circulation manager, and asked if they had any delivery routes available or opening up soon. Within a week I had a call from a local manager who had a driver looking to give up her route. I did a one-day drive-along with the current driver, then took over the route the following Monday. Been doing it every day since then.

- Kevin

Last edited by superk; 07-06-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte