Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,731 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old single black female. I will graduate this December and plan to leave this broken state of Michigan in March. I had originally planned to move to Atlanta but after further research I decided that Charlotte seems to be the better choice for me! I know that the major hospitals near the city are Presbyterian and CMC...but how likely is it that I will get a position as a new grad this Spring? Any information will be greatly appreciated as I have tons to do in very little time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBaked View Post
I am a 24 year old single black female. I will graduate this December and plan to leave this broken state of Michigan in March. I had originally planned to move to Atlanta but after further research I decided that Charlotte seems to be the better choice for me! I know that the major hospitals near the city are Presbyterian and CMC...but how likely is it that I will get a position as a new grad this Spring? Any information will be greatly appreciated as I have tons to do in very little time.
Assuming you pass the N-CLEX, hard to say what the market will be next year. There are 4-5 ADN/diploma/BSN nursing programs here as well as several in the surrounding counties. Many new grads are still looking. There are several other states in this great country that a single (or married) person can go to and have a staff nurse position. Good luck....

Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,731 times
I'm quite sure that there are other states in which I could find a nursing position but...I'm moving to Charlotte

Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM

127 posts, read 431,918 times
you also have peidmont medical center a bit south of charlotte in rock hill s.c.

im sure there are jobs somewhere as long as you pass your boards. nurses are always in demand

Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
you also have peidmont medical center a bit south of charlotte in rock hill s.c.

im sure there are jobs somewhere as long as you pass your boards. nurses are always in demand
But the question is whether they are recruiting new grads.
I would contact them and ask.CHS have many outlying hospital as well as CMC in Charlotte.
It think I saw an ad a while ago on Presbys (Novant health)site for new grads specifically, but couldn't be sure.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Good luck on the move... As a native born and bred....TIMES are hard here.....Unemployment rate is at 12 %..So many people have relocated here thinking that Charlotte was Utopia...however Charlotte has not been able to keep up with the amount of people moving here...A ton of transplants, but not a ton of jobs to keep up with the transplants.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 25,375 times
maybe you could consider raleigh! we are 2 hrs away from charlotte, and rex, wakemed, duke, and unc are hiring new grads!!!! i work at rex on a gen med floor and we NEED some help!! just hired a new grad 3 wks ago!! good luck! here in NC in general there are NO RN shortages d/t the many RN schools around....keep that in mind when you hear the salary for new grads!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necole View Post
maybe you could consider raleigh! we are 2 hrs away from charlotte, and rex, wakemed, duke, and unc are hiring new grads!!!! i work at rex on a gen med floor and we NEED some help!! just hired a new grad 3 wks ago!! good luck! here in NC in general there are NO RN shortages d/t the many RN schools around....keep that in mind when you hear the salary for new grads!
Excellent info, Necole.

I think that most folks do not realize that we do not have a shortage of RNs here as many areas do - b/c we have so many new grads from the numerous nursing programs in the region.

Same for many tech jobs. Rural hospitals or big teaching centers (such as Necole mentioned) would be the best spot to find openings for new grads. Not saying there are no openings in CLT, but they get grabbed up quickly b/c we do not have a shortage of nurses here.

If you are determined to come here, keep an open mind about nursing homes, rehab centers and third shift jobs.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Hopefully you are rich enough to support your child and yourself until you get a job?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,957 times
Question <404>Helpfulness not found</>

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Hopefully you are rich enough to support your child and yourself until you get a job?
What child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte