Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times

Advertisements

You might want to call them, but I don't think this is an issue in Concord. If they shut off the water, they will come and remove the meter. There won't be anything for you to turn back on. They won't care if you cut off the water with the T tool as long as you are paying the bill for minimum service. That shut-off valve is there for your benefit, not theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,040 times
Unhappy What happened??

Hi John,
I am facing a similar situation with the city and wondered if you have gotten your resolved and how it worked out. We were out of town for 2.5 weeks and my hose bib blew off and gushed water apparently the whole time....to the tune of a $920 bill.
I am sick to my stomach and no clue how to approach the city of Charlotte on this.
I'd be interested in knowing your outcome..
Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetarheel View Post
Hi John,
I am facing a similar situation with the city and wondered if you have gotten your resolved and how it worked out. We were out of town for 2.5 weeks and my hose bib blew off and gushed water apparently the whole time....to the tune of a $920 bill.
I am sick to my stomach and no clue how to approach the city of Charlotte on this.
Thanks!
This happened in Concord. On my way there this AM and will be going to meet with them tomorrow. Will let you know end of week resolve.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetarheel View Post
Hi John,
.... no clue how to approach the city of Charlotte on this.
Thanks!
If you are on CMUD, See This

Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities Customer Service (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Utilities/Customer+Service/home.htm - broken link)

Call the customer service and tell them what happened and see what they will do for you. They should at least forgive the sewer portion of the bill.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,040 times
Unhappy Thanks...

I appreciate the advice and will look for your update.
The really sad part is the sewer portion is only $98 of the entire bill, the majority is the water....

Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,455 times
Do as I've suggested in this thread. Call them and ask to be bumped to the lowest tier of water billing if you can provide proof that you had a leak (and you've since gotten it fixed). This should help a lot. It'll still be in the couple/few hundred dollars, but way better than $900!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 AM

Default an interesting twist

I went to the Concord Mun. office yesterday. Spoke to a rep over my issue and she said well we already adjusted your bill down to the lowest rate possible. So I asked--How do I get it lower?(down from $618). You need to see a supervisor--out to lunch come back in an hour.

Meet with the supervisor (very nice guy...unlike the terrorists I deal w/in NY BTW). Tells me I used 130,000 gallons of water!!!. I come in my senses after they give me some smelling salts and ask how that's possible with a hole that was less than 3/4", leaking for MAXIMUM 10 days. He says OK let's take a look at the account." Eureka! We have a problem here, according to the report when they went to your house there were TWO leaks. One on the city's tab and one on (my) tab." I start clapping, which I really think he thought was funny. I asked how we determine my money and the city's money. He says it will take a few days but will be resolved. I offered to split the $600 and give $300. He says, "might not be that high"!

Woooooweee! I just love it!

je

Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times
We had our main water line break after the last snow this year. We think it had started leaking in Nov as that's when the bill started to go up, thank goodness not horribly but we did get a credit. Of course the break was under the driveway. After the snow melted we had water seaping from one of the cracks and the meter was spinning.

From the meter to the street is city's expense, anything above the meter is the home owner's expense.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
We just had a leak repaired in our irrigation system. We had an outsized bill, but to be honest I don't think it was caused by the (small, slow) leak. I did call the water company and they came out and left a note that as far as they could tell everything was fine. However, they also invited us to send proof that a problem existed and was fixed and they might adjust the bill. We have a nice letter from our irrigation guy so I am hoping our $300+ bill will be adjusted slightly.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Default This is HARD to believe!

Got a call from water dept. this am. They have determined that the city is responsible for the bill. My share. . . $36.18!!!

Original bill $1600+ reduced to $618 reduced to 36 bux.

Moral of the story? I don't know. . . fill-in the blanks___________________.

je
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte