Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM

177 posts, read 553,138 times

Advertisements

If I were you I would chose Kings Mountain but on the Cleveland County side where taxes are cheaper. It seems safer than Gastonia and Monroe as well. It is still close to Gastonia and Charlotte as well as the mountains, the outlets in Gaffney, and Greenville, SC. I personally would not move to Monroe. I used to work in Union County and I loved it there but it is growing so fast. Shelby is a pretty boring place and there isn't much shopping there. I will tell you that the main street/downtown area is pretty neat though. It is small but I have been to some good restaurants there. It is rural but I have driven through some areas that were very pretty and it is closer to the mountains if you like the mountains. No offense to people who live in Gastonia but I just don't like it there. It's not that it is bad but I just don't feel at home there so I can't really recommend it. You would have to check it out for yourself though. You may love it! I do like the little town of Belmont and would so love to live there. I have only driven through Marshville so I don't know it very well. It is closer to the beach (I think) which might be a plus.

FWIW, I have lived in Charlotte for 10 years, as well as Orlando, and I have lived in Philly twice. I kept moving back and forth then finally moved to Western NC and now back to Charlotte. I was in Philly until last year and could not wait to get back to NC. I do miss the food up there and all of my friends and favorite hang out spots. I really miss the food!!! I would move back to the mountains if I could (near Hendersonville where I was) but my job is in Charlotte so I can't. I had a hard time at first being away from the city when I first moved to a rural area in the mountains and now that I am in Charlotte (not as big as Philly but bigger than where I was living before) I am missing the beautiful landscape and the solitude and the slower pace. even though I considered myself more of a city girl, the short time I lived in rural Western NC I found that I didn't need all the major shopping and amenities that I had relied on before. Don't get me wrong, I love that I now live right between two major shopping malls as well as lots of grocery stores and other shopping, restaurants, etc. but it is no longer a major necessity to me. OK I am rambling and losing my point so I will go now.

P.S. As far as the driver's license test, it really is not a big deal. Just read over the book you can get at the DMV or online and read it cover to cover. Here is a link to the driver's handbook. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can download it there.
http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/driver_serv.../applying.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
If I were you I would chose Kings Mountain but on the Cleveland County side where taxes are cheaper. It seems safer than Gastonia and Monroe as well. It is still close to Gastonia and Charlotte as well as the mountains, the outlets in Gaffney, and Greenville, SC. I personally would not move to Monroe. I used to work in Union County and I loved it there but it is growing so fast. Shelby is a pretty boring place and there isn't much shopping there. I will tell you that the main street/downtown area is pretty neat though. It is small but I have been to some good restaurants there. It is rural but I have driven through some areas that were very pretty and it is closer to the mountains if you like the mountains. No offense to people who live in Gastonia but I just don't like it there. It's not that it is bad but I just don't feel at home there so I can't really recommend it. You would have to check it out for yourself though. You may love it! I do like the little town of Belmont and would so love to live there. I have only driven through Marshville so I don't know it very well. It is closer to the beach (I think) which might be a plus.

FWIW, I have lived in Charlotte for 10 years, as well as Orlando, and I have lived in Philly twice. I kept moving back and forth then finally moved to Western NC and now back to Charlotte. I was in Philly until last year and could not wait to get back to NC. I do miss the food up there and all of my friends and favorite hang out spots. I really miss the food!!! I would move back to the mountains if I could (near Hendersonville where I was) but my job is in Charlotte so I can't. I had a hard time at first being away from the city when I first moved to a rural area in the mountains and now that I am in Charlotte (not as big as Philly but bigger than where I was living before) I am missing the beautiful landscape and the solitude and the slower pace. even though I considered myself more of a city girl, the short time I lived in rural Western NC I found that I didn't need all the major shopping and amenities that I had relied on before. Don't get me wrong, I love that I now live right between two major shopping malls as well as lots of grocery stores and other shopping, restaurants, etc. but it is no longer a major necessity to me. OK I am rambling and losing my point so I will go now.

P.S. As far as the driver's license test, it really is not a big deal. Just read over the book you can get at the DMV or online and read it cover to cover. Here is a link to the driver's handbook. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can download it there.
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?
Thanks, I forgot to mention the county thing to her.

Another thing is, here in Kings Mountain, because people are working all over the place, the commute times are so staggered that rush hour is non-existant.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggi1 View Post
I found houses on Realtor.com nice houses with many acres, I believe I will drive to NC end of Oct . Found hoses in SC. I will check out the area and will talk to people will check out Winstom Salem/Greensboro too. Like I said before this will be my last move; (one more move heaven lol) How hard is to get football tickets ? I am not a Panther fan but I like them better than the Eagles or Jets , but I would like to go a see a game huge football and basketball fan. My NFL team is in Fl. my NBA is in Texas
I think that you are wise to take your time.

I don't know about the football tickets. I'm sure that the team must have a website & that shoud tell you.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

118 posts, read 372,882 times
I really really like to say thank you to all off you .
lovethemountains thank you for all the great information's I am sure I will get more. Snowwhite queen thanks for the link to DMV and your input, I should send you a Philly cheesesteak lol.
southbound you are a great help, keep sending me information's
Looking forward to come to NC with my family and make it my home, I know I will fimd like's and dislike's but we all here in NJ to make the big move. One question I like to buy clothe at Burlington Coat Factory,can I find this store in NC?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
lovethemountains thank you for all the great information's I am sure I will get more. Snowwhite queen thanks for the link to DMV and your input, I should send you a Philly cheesesteak lol.
Looking forward to come to NC with my family and make it my home, I know I will fimd like's and dislike's but we all here in NJ to make the big move. One question I like to buy clothe at Burlington Coat Factory,can I find this store in NC?
There are several Burlington Coat Factory's in and around Charlotte

Burlington Coat Factory: Maps

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Most of the chain stores are here. Some are closer than others.

This outlet mall is not far. Prime Outlets – Gaffney, Outlet Mall near Greenville, Charlotte, Gaffney | 65% Savings on Designer Brands

This is the mall in Gastonia Westfield - Eastridge Shopping Mall

Kohl's is in Gastonia, in the shopping area on Franklin Blvd. It's so easy to get to the stores you won't believe it!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Most of the chain stores are here. Some are closer than others.

This outlet mall is not far. Prime Outlets – Gaffney, Outlet Mall near Greenville, Charlotte, Gaffney | 65% Savings on Designer Brands

This is the mall in Gastonia Westfield - Eastridge Shopping Mall

Kohl's is in Gastonia, in the shopping area on Franklin Blvd. It's so easy to get to the stores you won't believe it!
thanks for the great links

Old 08-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are several Burlington Coat Factory's in and around Charlotte

Burlington Coat Factory: Maps
thank you ,see I will not miss the great Burlington Co Fac

Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM

177 posts, read 553,138 times
daggi1,

I'm just curious...have you ever visited Cowtown, NJ? The first time I went there I thought it was absolutely hilarious because there was a huge inflatable cowboy there. Also, I knew someone who would take their kids on Sunday afternoons. I'm not sure what there is to do but it sure was fun riding through there.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
daggi1,

I'm just curious...have you ever visited Cowtown, NJ? The first time I went there I thought it was absolutely hilarious because there was a huge inflatable cowboy there. Also, I knew someone who would take their kids on Sunday afternoons. I'm not sure what there is to do but it sure was fun riding through there.
There's a full-fledged, licensed rodeo on the weekend in the summer & a year-round flea market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte