Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan7725 View Post
Do you know about the area in which Gaston College is in? I am trying to request admission to that college for a specific field it teaches.

Thanks.
Take the 321 exit on I-85 (I think its exit 17) & make a left- heading towards Hickory. You'll see the school on the left about a mile or mile & a half after you turn off I-85. I'm not sure about the area that Gaston College is in (housing wise) but it is north of Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenc View Post
Yea, Gastonia is not that bad when you're talking about places like Prince George county. It's not too nice when you compare it with Huntersville, Concord, Mint Hill, Matthews, Cornelius, Weddington, etc..
I live in Concord right now, we've had a couple of murders here this year.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 259,492 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
Take the 321 exit on I-85 (I think its exit 17) & make a left- heading towards Hickory. You'll see the school on the left about a mile or mile & a half after you turn off I-85. I'm not sure about the area that Gaston College is in (housing wise) but it is north of Gastonia.

Thank you. I would be coming from Wesley Chapel, I am assuming that it's about an hour drive?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I live in Concord right now, we've had a couple of murders here this year.
I've had 3 murders this year (alexandria, va). it sounds like gastonia is undesirable but not that bad. for the most part i should be safe in the suburbs?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 AM

73 posts, read 437,818 times
Default Prince George County

Without going into detail, I question people knocking that county. At one time it was suppossed to be one of the highest income areas around with lots of minority professionals moving in. My understanding from the various meetings I have attended all over the country, is the police are out of control in that area. In fact, I have heard that when passing through you must be on your best behavior because those guys in blue are looking to get it on. But again I am stunned that Prince George County has developed such a reputation.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I've had 3 murders this year (alexandria, va). it sounds like gastonia is undesirable but not that bad. for the most part i should be safe in the suburbs?
Seriously, Gastonia is not undesireable and I feel badly that it is being painted that way on here. It was voted an All-American City, has nice families, nice schools, and (GASP!) a little crime. Geez, people act as though if you have even ONE homicide in a county it is terrible! Not true. Hello people, one murder in 2004? Come on. I would bet money it was domestic related. And hardly ANY homicides are random violence in Charlotte and around Charlotte. This is America and we have crime here and everywhere in the country, period. I stand by my original statement that the 'burbs of Charlotte are very safe. You should feel safe here, come on down!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 AM

12 posts, read 32,952 times
Default Gaston College location

[quote=jan7725;644115]Do you know about the area in which Gaston College is in? I am trying to request admission to that college for a specific field it teaches.

Thanks.

The main campus of Gaston College is located in Dallas, NC. It is a very rural, quiet area. There are some satellite campuses located in Lincoln county and one in Belmont.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Seriously, Gastonia is not undesireable and I feel badly that it is being painted that way on here. It was voted an All-American City, has nice families, nice schools, and (GASP!) a little crime. Geez, people act as though if you have even ONE homicide in a county it is terrible! Not true. Hello people, one murder in 2004? Come on. I would bet money it was domestic related. And hardly ANY homicides are random violence in Charlotte and around Charlotte. This is America and we have crime here and everywhere in the country, period. I stand by my original statement that the 'burbs of Charlotte are very safe. You should feel safe here, come on down!
this is very reassuring. with some of dc's suburbs you can never be too sure.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan7725 View Post
Thank you. I would be coming from Wesley Chapel, I am assuming that it's about an hour drive?
Probably. Depending on what time you have to leave & how fast you drive . I live in South Charlotte off of Rea & can make it to that exit (I have a friend in Morganton that I visit) in about 1/2hr to an hour....but as I said it depends on traffic. It can also depend on how you go....if you take the highway or even the "back roads".

Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM

113 posts, read 443,298 times
Like in the DC area, serious crime is limited to a few areas.. you aren't seeing many of them discussed here, mostly because of the economics, folks here don't live there! I grew up in Montgomery County, and if you want that same feeling, minus the traffic, try Matthews, Ballantyne for a more rural feel in Mint Hill/Weddington or Waxhaw. PM me for more, glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte